For the last decade, Brendan has worked in the field of public health research on multidisciplinary projects focusing on licit and illicit drug use and related harms, justice health, and infectious diseases.
After completing a PhD in epidemiology through Monash University in 2013 that investigated the epidemiology of methamphetamine use in Melbourne and barriers and pathways to professional support for methamphetamine users, Brendan continues to work on multidisciplinary projects that further seek to understand methamphetamine use and optimal approaches to treating individuals who use the drug.
He is currently a co-investigator on a Colonial Foundation-funded project that is establishing Victoria’s largest methamphetamine-using cohort in metropolitan and regional areas (‘Vicmeth’), and is also co-investigator on a NHMRC-funded project that is investigating methamphetamine use and appropriate responses in Indigenous communities across the country.
In addition, as a 2016 Fulbright scholar, Brendan is currently undertaking a secondment at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) until May, 2017, where he is working with a world-leading team that is working on identifying a suitable pharmacotherapy for treating methamphetamine dependence and withdrawal in the context of HIV infection and associated neurocognitive disorders.
In recent years, Brendan has also expanded the focus of his research to international health issues via roles on a number of diverse projects. For example, during late 2015, he spent around three months in the Solomon Islands coordinating a project that examined the use of alcohol and other substances among young people (15-24 years), and attitudes towards gender-based violence among this group.
- Australian Red Cross Blood Service – Secretary, Expert Review Panel on donor policies relating to injecting drug use
- Adjunct Research Fellow, Monash University, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine (Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences)
- PhD, Monash University
- BA (Hons), University of Melbourne
- 2016: Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship (Australian-American Fulbright Commission)
- 2012: Endeavour Executive Award (Australian Government)
- 2010: Miller Foundation Postgraduate Travel Fellowship Award (Burnet Institute)
- Alcohol and other substance use among a sample of young people in the Solomon Islands.
Quinn B, Peach E, Wright CJC, Lim MSC, Davidson L, Dietze P
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2017 Aug; 41(4):358-364
- "Just not all ice users do that": investigating perceptions and potential harms of Australia's Ice Destroys Lives campaign in two studies.
Douglass CH, Early EC, Wright CJC, Palmer A, Higgs P, Quinn B, Dietze PM, Lim MSC
Harm Reduct J. 2017 Jul; 14(1):45
- Re-examining blood donor deferral criteria relating to injecting drug use.
Quinn B, Seed C, Keller A, Maher L, Wilson D, Farrell M, Caris S, Williams J, Madden A, Thompson A, Pink J, Hellard ME
Int J Drug Policy. 2017 Jun; 48:9-17
- Correlates of Preexposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) use among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Los Angeles, California.
Okafor CN, Gorbach PM, Ragsdale A, Quinn B, Shoptaw S
J Urban Health. 2017 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Dropout in clinical trials of pharmacological treatment for methamphetamine dependence: the role of initial abstinence.
Cook R, Quinn B, Heinzerling K, Shoptaw S
Addiction. 2017 Jun; 112(6):1077-1085
- Investigating Differences Between Drugs Used in the Australian Night-Time Economy: Demographics, Substance Use, and Harm.
Pennay A, Jenkinson R, Quinn B, Droste NT, Peacock A, Lubman DI, Miller PG
Subst Use Misuse. 2017 Jan; 52(1):71-81
- Estimating the number of regular and dependent methamphetamine users in Australia, 2002-2014.
Dietze PM, Quinn B, Hughes C
Med J Aust. 2016 Nov; 205(9):425-426
- Dealing with reality: Methamphetamine: Use, related harms and responses in Australia
AJP. 2016 Apr; 97(1149):83-87
- TreatMethHarm: An agent-based simulation of how people who use methamphetamine access treatment.
Lamy F, Quinn B, Dwyer R, Thomson N, Moore D, Dietze P
The Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation. 2016 Mar; 19(2):3
- One-year changes in methamphetamine use, dependence and remission in a community-recruited cohort.
Quinn B, Stoové MA, Dietze P
J Subst Use. 2016 Jan; 21(3):279-286
- Typology of alcohol consumers in five Australian nighttime entertainment districts.
Peacock A, Norman T, Bruno R, Pennay A, Droste N, Jenkinson R, Quinn B, Lubman DI, Miller P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2016 Jan; 35(5):539-548
- Correlates of property crime in a cohort of recently released prisoners with a history of injecting drug use.
Kirwan A, Quinn B, Winter R, Kinner SA, Dietze P, Stoové M
Harm Reduct J. 2015 Aug; 12(1):23
- Global policy and access to new hepatitis C therapies for people who inject drugs
Doyle JS, Aspinall EJ, Hutchinson SJ, Quinn B, Gore C, Wiktor SZ, Hellard ME
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Jun; 26(11):1064-1071
- Factors associated with being asked to initiate someone into injection drug use.
Bluthenthal RN, Wenger L, Chu D, Lorvick J, Quinn B, Thing JP, Kral AH
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Feb; 149:252-258
- 'Ice epidemic'? Trends in methamphetamine use from three Victorian surveillance systems.
Lim MS, Cogger S, Quinn B, Hellard ME, Dietze PM
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2015 Jan; 39(2):194-195
- 'Wide Awake Drunkenness'? Investigating the association between alcohol intoxication and stimulant use in the night-time economy.
Pennay A, Miller P, Busija L, Jenkinson R, Droste N, Quinn B, Jones SC, Lubman DI
Addiction. 2015 Jan; 110(2):356-365
- Factors associated with initiating someone into illicit drug injection.
Bluthenthal RN, Wenger L, Chu D, Quinn B, Thing J, Kral AH
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Sep; 144:186-192
- A comparative study of blood alcohol concentrations in Australian night-time entertainment districts.
Miller P, Pennay A, Droste N, Butler E, Jenkinson R, Hyder S, Quinn B, Chikritzhs T, Tomsen S, Wadds P, Jones SC, Palmer D, Barrie L, Lam T, Gilmore W, Lubman DI
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2014 Jul; 33(4):338-345
- Syringe disposal among people who inject drugs in Los Angeles: The role of sterile syringe source.
Quinn B, Chub D, Wengerc L, Bluthenthalb RN, Kral AH
Int J Drug Policy. 2014 May; 25(5):905-910
- Randomised controlled trial of a service brokerage intervention for ex-prisoners in Australia.
Kinner SA, Lennox N, Williams GM, Carroll M, Quinn B, Boyle FM, Alati R
Contemp Clin Trials. 2013 Sep; 36(1):198-206
- An exploration of self-perceived non-problematic use as a barrier to professional support for methamphetamine users.
Quinn B, Stoové M, Papanastasiou C, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2013 Jul; 24(6):619-23
- Pegylated interferon plus ribavirin versus standard interferon plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C infection: a meta-analytical systematic review.
Quinn B, Doyle JS, Howell J, Chow SM, Aspinall EJ, Hutchinson SJ, Hellard ME
Technical Report for the World Health Organisation, Global Hepatitis Programme, Geneva. 2013 Jul
- Factors associated with professional support access among a prospective cohort of methamphetamine users.
Quinn B, Stoové M, Dietze P
J Subst Abuse Treat. 2013 Mar; 45(2):235-241
- Methamphetamine use in Melbourne, Australia: baseline characteristics of a prospective methamphetamine-using cohort and correlates of methamphetamine dependence.
Quinn B, Stoové M, Papanastasiou C, Dietze P
J Subst Use. 2013 Jan; 18(5):349-362
News Articles (5)