Professor Suzanne Crowe AM is Burnet Institute’s Program Director, Expansion Programs (Healthy Ageing), an NHMRC Principal Research Fellow, Principal Specialist in Infectious Diseases at The Alfred hospital and Professor of Medicine and Infectious Diseases at Monash University, Melbourne.
She is Head of Burnet’s International Clinical Research Laboratory (iCRL) and Burnet WHO Regional Reference Laboratory for HIV Resistance Testing. Currently an adviser and consultant to the World Health Organization Global Program on AIDS, Suzanne has served as Deputy Chair of the Board of the Australian India Council (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade), President of the Australasian Society for HIV Medicine and as a member of the Prime Minister’s Science Engineering and Innovation Council Asia Working Group.
With over 200 peer-reviewed publications, her main research interests are the role of monocyte subsets and macrophages in HIV pathogenesis, as well as translational research and technology transfer for low cost CD4 and viral load tests to monitor HIV infection in developing countries. She also coordinates HIV clinical training sessions for doctors in resource limited countries and strengthens the capacity of laboratories in the region.
Suzanne was appointed as a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 2011 in recognition of her services to medical research in HIV/AIDS medicine and infectious diseases as an academic, clinician and researcher, and to professional associations.
- 2017: Program Director, Expansion Programs (Healthy Ageing), Burnet Institute
- 2013: Associate Director (Clinical Research), Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2008-2013: Head, Centre for Virology, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2008-present: Head, WHO Regional Reference Laboratory for HIV Resistance, Burnet Institute,Australia
- 2002-present: NHMRC Principal Research Fellow
- 1999-present: Professor of Medicine and Infectious Diseases (Personal Chair), Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1994-present: Consultant Physician in Infectious Diseases and General Medicine, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1992-present: Head, Clinical Research Laboratory, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Victoria, Australia
- 1989-2011: Head, Pathogenesis and Clinical Research, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Australia
- 1989-present: Head, Flow Cytometry Laboratory, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Australia
- 2003-2008: Head, Pathogenesis and Clinical Research Program, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 1997-2003: Consultant Physician, Professorial General Medical Unit, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1995-1999: Associate Professor, Monash University, Department of Medicine, Victoria, Australia
- 1992-2003: Principal Investigator, National Centre in HIV Virology Research
- 1989-1996: Sessional Senior Infectious Diseases Physician, Fairfield Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1989-1995: Senior Lecturer, Department of Medicine, Monash University, Australia
- 1998: Sabbatical, Gladstone Institute, University of California, San Francisco
- 1986-1988: Research Fellow in Infectious Diseases, University of California, San Francisco
- 1984-1985: Medical Registrar in Infectious Diseases, Fairfield Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1980-1983: Intern, Medical Resident, Medical Registrar, Senior Medical Registrar, Monash University Department of Medicine, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1968-73: Medical Laboratory Scientist (Microbiology), Repatriation General Hospital, Australia
- 2011: British Medical Association Book Award for Kucers, The Use of Antibiotics, Sixth Edition. Eds Grayson, Crowe, McCarthy, Mills, Muton, Norby, Paterson, Pfaller
- 2011: Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
- 2008: Priscilla Kincaid Smith Medal, The Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2007: Member ‘Faculty of 1000’ Medicine, Medicine Reports Ltd (Science Navigation Group) United Kingdom
- 2006: Inaugural Frank Fenner Award, Burnet Institute, Melbourne.
- 2005: Life time Achievement Award, 5th International Conference on AIDS, India
- 1997: Royal Australian College of Physicians, The Macquarie Bank Travelling Fellowship.
- 1997: Inaugural Award for Outstanding Past Pupil of Genazzano College
- 1994-1996: Commonwealth AIDS Research Grants Career Award
- 1993: Society for Leukocyte Biology Award for International Advancement of the Science of AIDS
- 1991: Glaxo Award for Advanced Research in Infectious Diseases
- 1989-1993: Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowship
- 1988: Fogarty Travelling Fellowship (to attend IV Int Conf on AIDS), Stockholm
- 1988: Beecham Research Award (Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 1987: International Award for AIDS Research (World Federation of Contraception/Health)
- 1986-88: Harkness Foundation Fellowship
- 1986: Merck, Sharp and Dohme Travelling Scholarship
- 1979: Mead-Johnson Prize for Paediatrics
- 1977: Jean C Tolhurst Memorial Prize for Microbiology
- Sugar or fat?—Metabolic requirements for immunity to viral infections
Shehata HM, Murphy AJ, Lee MKS, Gardiner CM, Crowe SM, Sanjabi S, Finlay DK, Palmer CS
Front Immunol. 2017 Oct; 8:1311
- Metabolically active CD4+ T cells expressing Glut1 and OX40 preferentially harbor HIV during in vitro infection.
Palmer CS, Duette GA, Wagner MCE, Henstridge DC, Saleh S, Pereira C, Zhou J, Simar D, Lewin SR, Ostrowski M, McCune JM, Crowe SM
FEBS Lett. 2017 Sep; 591(20):3319-3332
- Assessment of metabolic and mitochondrial dynamics in CD4+ and CD8+ T cells in virologically suppressed HIV-positive individuals on combination antiretroviral therapy.
Masson JJR, Murphy AJ, Lee MKS, Ostrowski M, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
PLoS One. 2017 Aug; 12(8):e0183931
- Immunometabolic and lipidomic markers associated with the frailtyindex and quality of life in aging HIV+ men on antiretroviral therapy.
Yeoh HL, Cheng AC, Cherry CL, Weir JM, Meikle PJ, Hoy JF, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
EBioMedicine. 2017 Aug; 22:112-21
- Frailty in men living with HIV: a cross-sectional comparison of three frailty instruments.
Yeoh HL, Cheng A, Palmer C, Crowe SM, Hoy JF
Antivir Ther. 2017 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Less frequent CD4 monitoring in virologically suppressed HIV.
McMahon J, Crowe SM
Lancet HIV. 2017 Jun; 4(6):e233-e234
- Feasibility of antiretroviral treatment monitoring in the era of decentralized HIV care: a systematic review.
Pham MD, Romero L, Parnell B, Anderson DA, Crowe SM, Luchters S
AIDS Res Ther19. 2017 Jan; 14(1):3
- Increased glucose transporter-1 EXPRESSION on intermediate monocytes from HIV-infected women with subclinical cardiovascular disease.
Butterfield TR, Hanna DB, Kaplan RC, Kizer JR, Durkin HG, Young MA, Nowicki MJ, Tien PC, Golub ET, Floris-Moore MA, Titanji K, Fischl MA, Heath SL, Martinson J, Crowe SM, Palmer CS, Landay AL, Anzinger JJ
AIDS. 2017 Jan; 31(2):199-205
- Decreased levels of platelet-derived soluble glycoprotein VI detected prior to the first diagnosis of coronary artery disease in HIV-positive individuals.
Trevillyan JM, Gardiner EE, Andrews RK, Maisa A, Hearps AC, Al-Tamimi M, Crowe SM, Hoy JF
Platelets. 2017 Jan; 28(3):301-304
- Immunometabolism may provide new insights into novel mechanisms of HIV reservoir persistence.
Palmer CS, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2016 Nov; 30(18):2895-6
- Performance of point-of-care CD4 testing technologies in resource-constrained settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Pham MD, Agius PA, Romero L, McGlynn P, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Oct; 16(1):592
- Acceptability and feasibility of point-of-care CD4 testing on HIV continuum of care in low and middle income countries: a systematic review.
Pham MD, Agius PA, Romero L, McGlynn P, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S
BMC Health Serv Res. 2016 Aug; 16(1):343
- Genetic polymorphisms in the CD14 gene are associated with monocyte activation and carotid intima-media thickness in HIV-infected patients on antiretroviral therapy.
Yong YK, Shankar EM, Westhorpe CL, Maisa A, Spelman T, Kamarulzaman A, Crowe SM, Lewin SR
Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Aug; 95(31):e4477
- Emerging Role and Characterization of Immunometabolism: Relevance to HIV Pathogenesis, Serious Non-AIDS Events, and a Cure.
Palmer CS, Henstridge DC, Yu D, Singh A, Balderson B, Duette G, Cherry CL, Anzinger JJ, Ostrowski M, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2016 Jun; 196(11):4437-4444
- A simple flow cytometric method to measure glucose uptake and glucose
transporter expression for monocyte subpopulations in whole blood.
Palmer CS, Anzinger JJ, Butterfield TR, McCune JM, Crowe SM
JOVE. 2016 May; May: e54255
- Aberrant inflammasome activation characterizes tuberculosis-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome.
Tan HY, Yong YK, Shankar EM, Paukovics G, Ellegård R, Larsson M, Kamarulzaman A, French MA, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2016 Apr; 196(10):4052-4063
- Does immunometabolism provide new targets to treat HIV-mediated inflammatory diseases?
Billings H, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
Future Virol. 2016 Feb; 11(3):159-162
- Glucose metabolism in T cells and monocytes: New perspectives in HIV pathogenesis.
Palmer CS, Cherry CL, Sada-Ovalle I, Singh A, Crowe SM
EbioMed. 2016 Feb; 6:31-41
- Regulators of glucose metabolism in CD4 and CD8 T cells.
Palmer CS, Hussain T, Duette G, Weller TJ, Ostrowski M, Sada-Ovalle I, Crowe SM
Int Rev Immunol. 2016 Jan; 35(6):477-488
- Factors Influencing Antiretroviral Adherence and Virological Outcomes in People Living with HIV in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea.
Gare J, Kelly-Hanku A, Ryan CE, David M, Kaima P, Imara U, Lote N, Crowe SM, Hearps AC
PLoS One. 2015 Aug; 10(8):e0134918
- Planning for the Next Global Pandemic.
Ross AG, Crowe SM, Tyndall MW
Int J Infect Dis. 2015 Aug; 38:89-94
- Quantitative Assessment of Intra-Patient Variation in CD4+ T Cell Counts in Stable, Virologically-Suppressed, HIV-Infected Subjects.
Gordon CL, Cheng AC, Cameron PU, Bailey M, Crowe SM, Mills J
PLoS One. 2015 Jun; 10(6):e0125248
- Monocytes from HIV+ individuals show impaired cholesterol efflux and increased foam cell formation after transendothelial migration.
Maisa A, Hearps AC, Angelovich TA, Pereira CF, Zhou J, Shi MDY, Palmer CS, Muller WA, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
AIDS. 2015 Jun; 29(12):1445-1457
- The dire sexual health crisis among MSM in the Philippines: an exploding HIV epidemic in the absence of essential health services.
Ross AG, Ditangco RA, Belimac JG, Olveda RM, Mercado ES, Chau TN, Crowe SM
Int J Infect Dis. 2015 Jun; 37:e6-e8
- CD4 enumeration technologies: a systematic review of test performance for determining eligibility for antiretroviral therapy.
Peeling RW, Sollis KA, Glover S, Crowe SM, Landay AL, Cheng B, Barnett D, Denny TN, Spira TJ, Stevens WS, Crowley S, Essajee S, Vitoria M, Ford N
PLoS One. 2015 Mar; 10(3):e0115019
- HIV eradication symposium: will the brain be left behind?
Brew BJ, Robertson K, Wright EJ, Churchill M, Crowe SM, Cysique LA, Deeks S, Garcia JV, Gelman B, Gray LR, Johnson T, Joseph J, Margolis DM, Mankowski JL, Spencer B
J Neurovirol. 2015 Mar; 21(3):322-334
- Glucose metabolism regulates T cell activation, differentiation, and functions.
Palmer CS, Ostrowski M, Balderson B, Christian N, Crowe SM
Front Immunol. 2015 Jan; 6:1
- Evolutionary history and global spread of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing lineage.
Merker M, Blin C, Mona S, Duforet-Frebourg N, Lecher S, Willery E, Blum MG, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Mokrousov I, Aleksic E, Allix-Béguec C, Antierens A, Augustynowicz-Kopeć E, Ballif M, Barletta F, Beck HP, Barry CE 3rd, Bonnet M, Borroni E, Campos-Herrero I, Cirillo D, Cox H, Crowe S, Crudu V, Diel R, Drobniewski F, Fauville-Dufaux M, Gagneux S, Ghebremichael S, Hanekom M, Hoffner S, Jiao WW, Kalon S, Kohl TA, Kontsevaya I, Lillebæk T, Maeda S, Nikolayevskyy V, Rasmussen M, Rastogi N, Samper S, Sanchez-Padilla E, Savic B, Shamputa IC, Shen A, Sng LH, Stakenas P, Toit K, Varaine F, Vukovic D, Wahl C, Warren R, Supply P, Niemann S, Wirth T
Nat Genet. 2015 Jan; 47(3):242-249
- C-reactive protein as a predictor of cardiovascular risk in HIV-infected individuals.
Westhorpe CL, Schneider HG, Dunne M, Middleton T, Sundararajan V, Spelman T, Carter V, Crowe SM, Dart A, Mijch A, Kotsanas D, Woolley I
Sex Health. 2014 Dec; 11(6):580-582
- Glucose Transporter 1-Expressing Proinflammatory Monocytes Are Elevated in Combination Antiretroviral Therapy-Treated and Untreated HIV+ Subjects.
Palmer CS, Anzinger JJ, Zhou J, Gouillou M, Landay A, Jaworowski A, McCune JM, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2014 Nov; 193(11):5595-5603
- Tuberculosis (TB)-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in TB-HIV co-infected patients in Malaysia: prevalence, risk factors, and treatment outcomes.
Tan HY, Yong YK, Lim SH, Ponnampalavanar S, Omar SF, Pang YK, Kamarulzaman A, Price P, Crowe SM, French MA
Sex Health. 2014 Sep; 11(6):532-539
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor: a potential biomarker for cardiovascular disease in persons with HIV?
Woolley IJ, Ayoub S, Crowe SM, Westhorpe C, Cherry CL, Visvanathan K, Morand E
AIDS. 2014 Aug; 28(11):1693-1694
- The importance of monocytes and macrophages in HIV pathogenesis, treatment, and cure.
Campbell JH, Hearps AC, Martin GE, Williams KC, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2014 Aug; 28 (15):2175-2187
- Panobinostat clinical trial highlights the challenges towards an HIV cure.
Palmer CS, Crowe SM
The Lancet HIV. 2014 Jul; 1(2):e103
- Presence of HIV drug resistance in antiretroviral therapy-naive and -experienced patients from Papua New Guinea.
Gare J, Ryan CE, David M, Timbi D, Kaima P, Kombati Z, Imara U, Kelly-Hanku A, Siba PM, Crowe SM, Hearps AC
J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014 Apr; 69(8):2183-2186
- How Does Monocyte Metabolism Impact Inflammation and Aging During Chronic HIV Infection?
Palmer CS, Crowe SM
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014 Apr; 30(4):335-336
- Systematic Review of the Use of Dried Blood Spots for Monitoring HIV Viral Load and for Early Infant Diagnosis.
Smit PW, Sollis KA, Fiscus S, Ford N, Vitoria M, Essajee S, Barnett D, Cheng B, Crowe SM, Denny T, Landay A, Stevens W, Habiyambere V, Perriens JH, Peeling RW
PLoS One. 2014 Mar; 9(3):e86461
- Systematic Review of the Performance of HIV Viral Load Technologies on Plasma Samples.
Sollis KA, Smit PW, Fiscus S, Ford N, Vitoria M, Essajee S, Barnett D, Cheng B, Crowe SM, Denny T, Landay A, Stevens W, Habiyambere V, Perrins J, Peeling RW
PLoS One. 2014 Feb; 9(2):e85869
- Inflammatory co-morbidities in HIV+ individuals: Learning lessons from healthy ageing.
Hearps AC, Martin GE, Rajasuriar R, Crowe SM
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2014 Jan; 11(1):20-23
- Associations between surface markers on blood monocytes and carotid atherosclerosis in HIV-positive individuals.
Westhorpe CL, Maisa A, Spelman T, Hoy JF, Dewar EM, Karapanagiotidis S, Hearps AC, Cheng WJ, Trevillyan J, Lewin SR, Sviridov D, Elliott JH, Jaworowski A, Dart AM, Crowe SM
Immunol Cell Biol. 2014 Jan; 92(2):133-138
- Increased glucose metabolic activity is associated with CD4+ T-cell activation and depletion during chronic HIV infection.
Palmer CS, Ostrowski M, Gouillou M, Tsai L, Yu D, Zhou J, Henstridge DC, Maisa A, Hearps AC, Lewin SR, Landay A, Jaworowski A, McCune JM, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2014 Jan; 28(3):297-309
- Acquisition of HIV by African-Born Residents of Victoria, Australia: Insights from Molecular Epidemiology.
Lemoh C, Ryan CE, Sekawi Z, Hearps AC, Aleksic E, Chibo D, Grierson J, Baho S, Street A, Hellard M, Biggs BA, Crowe SM
PLoS One. 2013 Dec; 8(12):e84008
- HIV epidemic in men who have sex with men in Philippines.
Ross AG, Ditangco RA, Belimac JG, Olveda RM, Mercado ES, Rogers GD, Cripps AW, Lam A, Crowe SM
Lancet Infect Dis. 2013 Jun; 13(6):472-473
- Characterization of tetraspanins CD9, CD53, CD63, and CD81 in monocytes and macrophages in HIV-1 infection.
Tippett E, Cameron PU, Marsh M, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 2013 Apr; 93(6):913-20
- First molecular epidemiology study of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Kiribati.
Aleksic E, Merker M, Cox H, Reiher B, Sekawi Z, Hearps AC, Ryan CE, Lee AV, Goursaud R, Malau C, O'Connor J, Cherry CL, Niemann S, Crowe SM
PLoS One. 2013 Jan; 8(1):e55423
- Are Monocytes the Canary in the Coal Mine for HIV-Related Atherosclerosis?
Crowe SM, Hoy JF
J Infect Dis. 2012 Oct; 206(10):1491-1493
- CRF01_AE dominates the HIV-1 epidemic in Indonesia.
Merati TP, Ryan CE, Spelmen T, Wirawan DN, Bakta IM, Otto B, Oelrichs RB, Crowe SM
Sex Health. 2012 Sep; 9(5):414-421
- Virologically Suppressed HIV Patients Show Activation of NK Cells and Persistent Innate Immune Activation.
Lichtfuss GF, Cheng WJ, Farsakoglu Y, Paukovics G, Rajasuriar R, Velayudham P, Kramski M, Hearps AC, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Immunol. 2012 Jun; 189(3):1491-1499
- Aging is associated with chronic innate immune activation and dysregulation of monocyte phenotype and function.
Hearps AC, Martin GE, Angelovich TA, Cheng WJ, Maisa A, Landay AL, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
Aging Cell. 2012 Jun; 11(5):867-875
- Endothelial cell activation promotes foam cell formation by monocytes following transendothelial migration in an in vitro model.
Westhorpe CL, Dufour EM, Maisa A, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM, Muller WA
Exp Mol Pathol. 2012 May; 93(2):220-226
- Evaluation of in-house genotyping assay performance using dried blood spot specimens in the Global World Health Organization laboratory network.
Neil Parkin, Carmen de Mendoza, Rob Schuurman, Cheryl Jennings, James Bremer, Michael R Jordan, Silvia Bertagnolio. (Professor Suzanne Crowe AM was a member of the working group)
Clin Infect Dis. 2012 May; 54 Suppl 4:S273-S279
- HIV infection induces age-related changes to monocytes and innate immune activation in young men that persist despite combination antiretroviral therapy.
Hearps AC, Maisa A, Cheng WJ, Angelovich TA, Lichtfuss GF, Palmer CS, Landay AL, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2012 Apr; 26(7):843-853
- Antiviral activity of arbidol, a broad-spectrum drug for use against respiratory viruses, varies according to test conditions.
Brooks MJ, Burtseva EI, Ellery PJ, Marsh GA, Lew AM, Slepushkin AN, Crowe SM, Tannock GA
J Med Virol. 2012 Jan; 84(1):170-181
- The role of glucose and lipid metabolism in the pathogenesis of HIV-1 infection.
Palmer C, Crowe SM
Current Trends in Immunology. 2012 Jan; 13:37-50
- HIV infection and aging of the innate immune system.
Hearps AC, Angelovich TA, Jaworowski A, Mills J, Landay AL, Crowe SM
Sex Health. 2011 Dec; 8(4):453-464
- Novel sensitive real-time PCR for quantification of bacterial 16S rRNA genes in plasma of HIV-infected patients as a marker for microbial translocation.
Kramski M, Gaeguta AJ, Lichtfuss GF, Rajasuriar R, Crowe SM, French MA, Lewin SR, Center RJ, Purcell DF
J Clin Microbiol. 2011 Oct; 49(10):3691-3693
- Symptomatic and asymptomatic early neurosyphilis in HIV-infected men who have sex with men: a retrospective case series from 2000 to 2007.
Chang CC, Leslie DE, Spelman D, Chua K, Fairley CK, Street A, Crowe SM, Hoy JF
Sex Health. 2011 Jun; 8(2):207-213
- Differential expression of CD163 on monocyte subsets in healthy and HIV-1 infected individuals.
Tippett E, Cheng WJ, Westhorpe C, Cameron PU, Brew BJ, Lewin SR, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
PLoS One. 2011 May; 6(5):e19968
- Pharmaceutical opioid analgesic and heroin dependence: how do treatment-seeking clients differ in Australia?
Nielsen S, Bruno R, Lintzeris N, Fischer J, Carruthers S, StoovÃ© M
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2011 May; 30(3):291-299
- Biomarkers of immune dysfunction following combination antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection.
Lichtfuss GF, Hoy J, Rajasuriar R, Kramski M, Crowe SM, Lewin SR
Biomark Med. 2011 Apr; 5(2):171-186
- Point-of-care testing.
Anderson DA, Crowe SM, Garcia M
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2011 Mar; 8(1):31-37
- HIV inhibits early signal transduction events triggered by CD16 cross-linking on NK cells, which are important for antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity.
Lichtfuss GF, Meehan AC, Cheng WJ, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Leukoc Biol. 2011 Jan; 89(1):149-158
- Both CD31(+) and CD31 naive CD4(+) T cells are persistent HIV type 1-infected reservoirs in individuals receiving antiretroviral therapy.
Wightman F, Solomon A, Khoury G, Green JA, Gray L, Gorry PR, Ho YS, Saksena NK, Hoy J, Crowe SM, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
J Infect Dis. 2010 Dec; 202(11):1738-1748
- HIV reverse transcriptase activity assay: a feasible surrogate for HIV viral load measurement in China.
Huang D, Zhuang Y, Zhai S, Song Y, Liu Q, Zhao S, Wang S, Li X, Kang W, Greengrass V, Plate M, Crowe SM, Sun Y
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010 Nov; 68(3):208-213
- Extremely prolonged HIV seroconversion associated with an MHC haplotype carrying disease susceptibility genes for antibody deficiency disorders.
Padiglione A, Aleksic E, French M, Arnott A, Wilson KM, Tippett E, Kaye M, Gray L, Ellett A, Crane M, Leslie DE, Lewin SR, Breschkin A, Birch C, Gorry PR, McPhee DA, Crowe SM
Clin Immunol. 2010 Nov; 137(2):199-208
- Nomenclature of monocytes and dendritic cells in blood.
Ziegler-Heitbrock L, Ancuta P, Crowe S, Dalod M, Grau V, Hart DN, Leenen PJM, Liu YJ, MacPherson G, Randolph GJ, Scherberich J, Schmitz J, Shortman K, Sozzani S, Strobl H, Zembala M, Austyn JM, Lutz MB
Blood. 2010 Oct; 116(16):e74-e80
- Biological determinants of immune reconstitution in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy: the role of interleukin 7 and interleukin 7 receptor alpha and microbial translocation.
Rajasuriar R, Booth D, Solomon A, Chua K, Spelman T, Gouillou M, Schlub TE, Davenport M, Crowe S, Elliott J, Hoy J, Fairley C, Stewart G, Cameron P, Lewin SR
J Infect Dis. 2010 Oct; 202(8):1254-1264
- Quantifying HIV for monitoring antiretroviral therapy in resource-poor settings.
Stevens WS, Scott LE, Crowe SM
J Infect Dis. 2010 Apr; 201 Suppl 1:S16-S26
- The macrophage: the intersection between HIV infection and atherosclerosis.
Crowe SM, Westhorpe CL, Mukhamedova N, Jaworowski A, Sviridov D, Bukrinsky M
J Leukoc Biol. 2010 Apr; 87(4):589-598
- Editorial: Monocyte subpopulations and lentiviral infection.
Crowe SM, Ziegler-Heitbrock L
J Leukoc Biol. 2010 Apr; 87(4):541-543
- A novel, rapid method to detect infectious HIV-1 from plasma of persons infected with HIV-1.
Cornall A, Sharma L, Solomon A, Gorry PR, Crowe SM, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
J Virol Methods. 2010 Apr; 165(1):90-96
- Decreased NK Cell FcRgamma in HIV-1 infected individuals receiving combination antiretroviral therapy: a cross sectional study.
Leeansyah E, Zhou J, Paukovics G, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
PLoS One. 2010 Mar; 5(3):e9643
- Stability of dried blood spots for HIV-1 drug resistance analysis.
Hearps AC, Ryan CE, Morris LM, Plate MM, Greengrass V, Crowe SM
Curr HIV Res. 2010 Mar; 8(2):134-140
- Effect of reverse transcriptase inhibitors and mutations on the low-cost Cavidi reverse transcriptase viral load assay.
van Rooijen LB, Greengrass V, Morris LM, Plate MM, Gouillou M, Tachedjian G, Sluis-Cremer N, Hearps AC, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009 Dec; 52(4):527-529
- An HIV-1 integrase genotype assay for the detection of drug resistance mutations.
Hearps AC, Greengrass V, Hoy J, Crowe SM
Sex Health. 2009 Dec; 6(4):305-309
- HIV type 1 in Fiji is caused by subtypes C and B.
Ryan CB, Kama M, Darcy A, Aleksic E, Mirza T, Chaudhary A, Oelrichs RB, Rogers GD, Crowe SM
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2009 Dec; 25(12):1355-1358
- Assessment of the low-cost Cavidi ExaVir Load assay for monitoring HIV viral load in pediatric and adult patients.
Greengrass V, Lohman B, Morris L, Plate M, Steele PM, Walson JL, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009 Nov; 52(3):387-390
- Evaluation of the blood stabilizers TransFix and Cyto-Chex BCT for low-cost CD4 T-cell methodologies.
Plate MM, Louzao R, Steele PM, Greengrass V, Morris LM, Lewis J, Barnett D, Warrino D, Hearps AC, Denny T, Crowe SM
Viral Immunol. 2009 Oct; 22(5):329-332
- Evaluation of the Cavidi ExaVir Load assay (version 3) for plasma human immunodeficiency virus type 1 load monitoring.
Greengrass VL, Plate MM, Steele PM, Denholm JT, Cherry C, Morris LM, Hearps A, Crowe SM
J Clin Microbiol. 2009 Sep; 47(9):3011-3013
- Enhanced monocyte Fc phagocytosis by a homologue of interleukin-10 encoded by human cytomegalovirus.
Jaworowski A, Cheng WJ, Westhorpe CL, Abendroth A, Crowe SM, Slobedman B
Virology. 2009 Aug; 391(1):20-24
- Neurodegeneration and ageing in the HAART era.
Brew BJ, Crowe SM, Landay A, Cysique LA, Guillemin G
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2009 Jun; 4(2):163-174
- Effects of HIV-1 infection in vitro on transendothelial migration by monocytes and monocyte-derived macrophages.
Westhorpe CL, Zhou J, Webster NL, Kalionis B, Lewin SR, Jaworowski A, Muller WA, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 2009 Jun; 85(6):1027-1035
- Prolonged use of tenofovir in HIV/hepatitis B virus (HBV)-coinfected individuals does not lead to HBV polymerase mutations and is associated with persistence of lamivudine HBV polymerase mutations.
Audsley J, Arrifin N, Yuen LK, Ayres A, Crowe SM, Bartholomeusz A, Locarnini SA, Mijch A, Lewin SR, Sasadeusz J
HIV Med. 2009 Apr; 10(4):229-235
- Antenatal screening practice for infectious diseases by general practitioners in Australia.
Giles ML, Pedrana A, Jones C, Garland S, Hellard M, Lewin SR
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 Feb; 49(1):39-44
- Evaluating new CD4 enumeration technologies for resource-constrained countries.
Stevens W, Gelman R, Glencross DK, Scott LE, Crowe SM, Spira T
Nat Rev Microbiol. 2008 Nov; 6(11 Suppl):S29-S38
- Kynurenine pathway metabolism in human blood-brain-barrier cells: implications for immune tolerance and neurotoxicity.
Owe-Young R, Webster NL, Mukhtar M, Pomerantz RJ, Smythe G, Walker D, Armati PJ, Crowe SM, Brew BJ
J Neurochem. 2008 May; 105(4):1346-1357
- Use of an HIV-1 reverse-transcriptase enzyme-activity assay to measure HIV-1 viral load as a potential alternative to nucleic acid-based assay for monitoring antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings.
Iqbal HS, Balakrishnan P, Cecelia AJ, Solomon S, Kumarasamy N, Madhavan V, Murugavel KG, Ganesh AK, Solomon SS, Mayer KH, Crowe SM
J Med Microbiol. 2007 Dec; 56(Pt 12):1611-1614
- Reduction in hepatitis C-related liver disease associated with GB virus C in human immunodeficiency virus coinfection.
Berzsenyi MD, Bowden DS, Kelly HA, Watson KM, Mijch AM, Hammond RA, Crowe SM, Roberts SK
Gastroenterology. 2007 Dec; 133(6):1821-1830
- Pathogenicity and immunogenicity of attenuated, nef-deleted HIV-1 strains in vivo.
Gorry PR, McPhee DA, Verity E, Dyer WB, Wesselingh SL, Learmont J, Sullivan JS, Roche M, Zaunders JJ, Gabuzda D, Crowe SM, Mills J, Lewin SR, Brew BJ, Cunningham AL, Churchill MJ
Retrovirology. 2007 Sep; 4:66
- HIV monitoring in laboratories in resource limited areas.
Greengrass V, Plate MM, Steele PM, Taqi R, van Rooijen L, Sun Y, Morris LM, Crowe SM
J Chinese Clin Med. 2007 Aug; 2(8):469-480
- The heterosexual HIV type 1 epidemic in Papua New Guinea is dominated by subtype C.
Ryan CE, Gare J, Crowe SM, Wilson K, Reeder JC, Oelrichs RB
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2007 Jul; 23(7):941-944
- CD16+ monocyte subset preferentially harbors HIV-1 and is expanded in pregnant Malawian women with Plasmodium falciparum malaria and HIV-1 infection.
Jaworowski A, Kamwendo DD, Ellery P, Sonza S, Mwapasa V, Tadesse E, Molyneux ME, Rogerson SJ, Meshnick SR, Crowe SM
J Infect Dis. 2007 Jul; 196(1):38-42
- Changes in the V3 region of gp120 contribute to unusually broad coreceptor usage of an HIV-1 isolate from a CCR5 Delta32 heterozygote.
Gorry PR, Dunfee RL, Mefford ME, Kunstman K, Morgan T, Moore JP, Mascola JR, Agopian K, Holm GH, Mehle A, Taylor J, Farzan M, Wang H, Ellery P, Willey SJ, Clapham PR, Wolinsky SM, Crowe SM, Gabuzda D.
Virology. 2007 May; 362(1):163-178
- The CD16+ monocyte subset is more permissive to infection and preferentially harbors HIV-1 in vivo.
Ellery PJ, Tippett E, Chiu YL, Paukovics G, Cameron PU, Solomon A, Lewin SR, Gorry PR, Jaworowski A, Greene WC, Sonza S, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2007 May; 178(10):6581-6589
- Advances in CD4 cell enumeration in resource-poor countries.
Baum LL, Crowe S, Landay AL
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2007 May; 2(3):234-240
- The mechanism underlying defective Fcgamma receptor-mediated phagocytosis by HIV-1-infected human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Leeansyah E, Wines BD, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A.
J Immunol. 2007 Jan; 178(2):1096-1104
- Matrix metalloproteinases, their production by monocytes and macrophages and their potential role in HIV-related diseases.
Webster NL, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 2006 Nov; 80(5):1052-1066
- Advances in macrophage and dendritic cell biology in HIV-1 infection stress key understudied areas in infection, pathogenesis, and analysis of viral reservoirs.
Montaner LJ, Crowe SM, Aquaro S, Perno CF, Stevenson M, Collman RG
J Leukoc Biol. 2006 Nov; 80(5):961-964
- HIV-1 viral load assays for resource-limited settings.
Fiscus SA, Cheng B, Crowe SM, Demeter L, Jennings C, Miller V, Respess R, Stevens W; the Forum for Collaborative HIV Research Alternative Viral Load Assay Working Group
PLoS Med. 2006 Oct; 3(10):e417
- A reliable and inexpensive EasyCD4 assay for monitoring HIV-infected individuals in resource-limited settings.
Balakrishnan P, Solomon S, Mohanakrishnan J, Cecelia AJ, Kumarasamy N, Murugavel KG, Venkatakrishnan B, Solomon SS, Crowe SM, Ganesh AK, Thyagarajan SP, Flanigan T, Mayer KH
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 Sep; 43(1):23-26
- A randomised trial comparing genotypic and virtual phenotypic interpretation of HIV drug resistance: the CREST study.
Hales G, Birch C, Crowe SM, Workman C, Hoy JA, Law MG, Kelleher AD, Lincoln D, Emery S
PLoS Clin Trials. 2006 Jul; 1(3):e18
- Impaired complement-mediated phagocytosis by HIV type-1-infected human monocyte-derived macrophages involves a cAMP-dependent mechanism.
Azzam R, Kedzierska K, Leeansyah E, Chan H, Doischer D, Gorry PR, Cunningham AL, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2006 Jul; 22(7):619-629
- Adverse effects of antiretroviral drugs on HIV-1-infected and uninfected human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Azzam R, Lal L, Goh SL, Kedzierska K, Jaworowski A, Naim E, Cherry CL, Wesselingh SL, Mills J, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 May; 42(1):19-28
- Macrophages and residual HIV infection.
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2006 Mar; 1(2):129-133
- Normal CD16 expression and phagocytosis of Mycobacterium avium complex by monocytes from a current cohort of HIV-1-infected patients.
Jaworowski A, Ellery P, Maslin CL, Naim E, Heinlein AC, Ryan CE, Paukovics G, Hocking J, Sonza S, Crowe SM
J Infect Dis. 2006 Mar; 193(5):693-697
- Efficacy of Cyto-Chex blood preservative for delayed manual CD4 testing using Dynal T4 Quant CD4 test among HIV-infected persons in Zambia.
Truett AA, Letizia A, Malyangu E, Sinyangwe F, Morales BN, Crum NF, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 Feb; 41(2):168-174
- Phagocytosis stimulates mobilization and shedding of intracellular CD16A in human monocytes and macrophages: inhibition by HIV-1 infection.
Webster NL, Kedzierska K, Azzam R, Paukovics G, Wilson J, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Leukoc Biol. 2006 Feb; 79(2):294-302
- Comparison of two human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) RNA surrogate assays to the standard HIV RNA assay.
Jennings C, Fiscus SA, Crowe SM, Danilovic AD, Morack RJ, Scianna S, Cachafeiro A, Brambilla DJ, Schupbach J, Stevens W, Respess R, Varnier OE, Corrigan GE, Gronowitz JS, Ussery MA, Bremer JW
J Clin Microbiol. 2005 Dec; 43(12):5950-5956
- Randomized, placebo-controlled, phase I/IIa evaluation of the safety and immunogenicity of fowlpox virus expressing HIV gag-pol and interferon-gamma in HIV-1 infected subjects.
Emery S, Workman C, Puls RL, Bloch M, Baker D, Bodsworth N, Anderson J, Crowe SM, French MAH, Hoy J, Aichelburg A, Ward LD, Boyle DB, Law MG, Kelleher AD, Cooper DA
Hum Vaccin. 2005 Nov; 1(6):232-238
- Transendothelial migration of monocytes: the underlying molecular mechanisms and consequences of HIV-1 infection.
Maslin CLV, Kedzierska K, Webster NL, Muller WA, Crowe SM
Curr HIV Res. 2005 Oct; 3(4):303-317
- Uncoupling coreceptor usage of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) from macrophage tropism reveals biological properties of CCR5-restricted HIV-1 isolates from patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
Gray L, Sterjovski J, Churchill M, Ellery P, Nasr N, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Wesselingh SL, Cunningham AL, Gorry PR
Virology. 2005 Jul; 337(2):384-398
- In vivo replication kinetics of a nef-deleted strain of HIV-1.
Crowe SM, Ho DD, Marriott D, Brew B, Gorry PR, Sullivan JS, Learmont J, Mills J
AIDS. 2005 May; 19(8):842-843
- Evaluation of a low cost reverse transcriptase assay for plasma HIV-1 viral load monitoring.
Greengrass VL, Turnbulll SP, Hocking J, Dunne AL, Tachedjian G, Corrigan GE, Crowe SM
Curr HIV Res. 2005 Apr; 3(2):183-190
- Isolation of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 from peripheral blood monocytes.
Gorry PR, Sonza S, Kedzierska K, Crowe SM
Methods Mol Biol. 2005 Jan; 304:25-33
- Phenotypic characterization of blood monocytes from HIV-infected individuals.
Ellery PJ, Crowe SM
Methods Mol Biol. 2005 Jan; 304:343-353
- Antiretroviral compounds: mechanisms underlying failure of HAART to eradicate HIV-1.
Shehu-Xhilaga M, Tachedjian G, Crowe SM, Kedzierska K
Curr Med Chem. 2005 Jan; 12(15):1705-1719
- Pathogenesis of macrophage tropic HIV-1.
Gorry PR, Churchill M, Crowe SM, Cunningham AL, Gabuzda D
Curr HIV Res. 2005 Jan; 3(1):53-60
- Longitudinal analysis of nef/long terminal repeat-deleted HIV-1 in blood and cerebrospinal fluid of a long-term survivor who developed HIV-associated dementia.
Churchill M, Sterjovski J, Gray L, Cowley D, Chatfield C, Learmont J, Sullivan JS, Crowe SM, Mills J, Brew BJ, Wesselingh SL, McPhee DA, Gorry PR
J Infect Dis. 2004 Dec; 190(12):2181-2186
- The molecular epidemiology of HIV type 1 among Vietnamese Australian injecting drug users in Melbourne, Australia.
Ryan CE, Elliott JH, Middleton T, Mijch AM, Street AC, Hellard M, Crofts N, Crowe SM, Oelrichs RB
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2004 Dec; 20(12):1364-1367
- Locking the door to HIV entry: how far can we go?
Crowe SM, Asjo B
AIDS. 2004 Nov; 18(16):2197-2198
- The raft-promoting property of virion-associated cholesterol, but not the presence of virion-associated Brij 98 rafts, is a determinant of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectivity.
Campbell S, Gaus K, Bittman R, Jessup W, Crowe S, Mak J
J Virol. 2004 Oct; 78(19):10556-10565
- Culture of HIV in monocytes and macrophages.
Crowe S, Maslin C, Ellery P, Kedzierska K
Curr Protoc Immunol. 2004 Sep; Chapter 12:Unit 12.4
- An inexpensive, simple, and manual method of CD4 T-cell quantitation in HIV-infected individuals for use in developing countries.
Balakrishnan P, Dunne M, Kumarasamy N, Crowe S, Subbulakshmi G, Ganesh AK, Cecelia AJ, Roth P, Mayer KH, Thyagarajan SP, Solomon S
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004 Aug; 36(5):1006-1010
- Interferon-gamma therapy activates human monocytes for enhanced phagocytosis of Mycobacterium avium complex in HIV-infected individuals.
Kedzierska K, Paukovics G, Handley A, Hewish M, Hocking J, Cameron PU, Crowe SM
HIV Clin Trials. 2004 Mar; 5(2):80-85
- Phagocytic efficiency of monocytes and macrophages obtained from Sydney blood bank cohort members infected with an attenuated strain of HIV-1.
Kedzierska K, Churchill M, Maslin CL, Azzam R, Ellery P, Chan HT, Wilson J, Deacon NJ, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003 Dec; 34(5):445-453
- Use of assisted reproductive technology to reduce the risk of transmission of HIV in discordant couples wishing to have their own children where the male partner is seropositive with an undetectable viral load.
Baker HW, Mijch A, Garland S, Crowe S, Dunne M, Edgar D, Clarke G, Foster P, Blood J
J Med Ethics. 2003 Dec; 29(6):315-320
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection inhibits granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor-induced activation of STAT5A in human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Warby TJ, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Virol. 2003 Dec; 77(23):12630-12638
- HIV and cells of macrophage/dendritic lineage and other non-T cell reservoirs: new answers yield new questions.
Collman RG, Perno CF, Crowe SM, Stevenson M, Montaner LJ
J Leukoc Biol. 2003 Nov; 74(5):631-634
- The contribution of monocyte infection and trafficking to viral persistence, and maintenance of the viral reservoir in HIV infection.
Crowe S, Zhu T, Muller WA
J Leukoc Biol. 2003 Nov; 74(5):635-641
- The dimer initiation sequence stem-loop of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 is dispensable for viral replication in peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
Hill MK, Shehu-Xhilaga M, Campbell SM, Poumbourios P, Crowe SM, Mak J
J Virol. 2003 Aug; 77(15):8329-8335
- Prevalence and characterization of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus mutations in HIV-HBV co-infected individuals.
Cooley L, Ayres A, Bartholomeusz A, Lewin S, Crowe S, Mijch A, Locarnini S, Sasadeusz J
AIDS. 2003 Jul; 17(11):1649-1657
- Monitoring of human immunodeficiency virus infection in resource-constrained countries..
Crowe S, Turnbull S, Oelrichs R, Dunne A
Clin Infect Dis. 2003 Jul; 37(Suppl 1):S25-S35
- Immunological and virological failure after antiretroviral therapy is associated with enhanced peripheral and thymic pathogenicity.
Ajantha Solomon, Paul U Cameron, Michael Bailey, Amanda L Dunne, Suzanne M Crowe, Jenny F Hoy, Sharon R Lewin
J Infect Dis. 2003 Jun; 187(12):1915-1923
- The molecular epidemiology of HIV-1 in South and East Asia.
Oelrichs RB, Crowe SM
Curr HIV Res. 2003 Apr; 1(2):239-248
- Analysis of HIV-1 viral load in seminal plasma samples.
Dunne AL, Mitchell F, Allen KM, Baker HW, Garland S, Clarke GN, Mijch A, Crowe SM
J Clin Virol. 2003 Feb; 26(2):239-245
- Defective phagocytosis by human monocyte/macrophages following HIV-1 infection: underlying mechanisms and modulation by adjunctive cytokine therapy.
Kedzierska K, Azzam R, Ellery P, Mak J, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
J Clin Virol. 2003 Feb; 26(2):247-263
- Limited evolution of HIV antiretroviral drug resistance-associated mutations during the performance of drug resistance testing.
Chris Birch, Tracey Middleton, Gillian Hales, David Cooper, Matthew Law, Suzanne Crowe, Jennifer Hoy, Sean Emery
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003 Jan; 32(1):57-61
- Suppression of chemokine receptor expression by RNA interference allows for inhibition of HIV-1 replication, by Martinez et al.
AIDS. 2003 Jan; 17 Suppl 4:S103-S105
- Effect of interleukin-2 plus highly active antiretroviral therapy on HIV-1 replication and proviral DNA (COSMIC trial), by Ling et al.
AIDS. 2003 Jan; 17 Suppl 4:S105-S107
- Quality assessment program for genotypic antiretroviral testing improves detection of drug resistance mutations.
D C Sayer, S Land, L Gizzarelli, M French, G Hales, S Emery, F T Christiansen, E M Dax. (Professor Suzanne Crowe AM was a member of the study group)
J Clin Microbiol. 2003 Jan; 41(1):227-236
- SIVmac pathogenesis in rhesus macaques of Chinese and Indian origin compared with primary HIV infections in humans, by Stellbrink et al.
AIDS. 2003 Jan; 17 Suppl 4:S107-S108
- The influence of cytokines, chemokines and their receptors on HIV-1 replication in monocytes and macrophages.
Kedzierska K, Crowe SM, Turville S, Cunningham AL
Rev Med Virol. 2003 Jan; 13(1):39-56
- Selectively reduced tat mRNA heralds the decline in productive human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection in monocyte-derived macrophages.
Sonza S, Mutimer HP, O'Brien K, Ellery P, Howard JL, Axelrod JH, Deacon NJ, Crowe SM, Purcell DF
J Virol. 2002 Dec; 76(24):12611-12621
- Virion-associated cholesterol is critical for the maintenance of HIV-1 structure and infectivity.
Campbell SM, Crowe SM, Mak J
AIDS. 2002 Nov; 16(17):2253-2261
- Overexpression and incorporation of GagPol precursor does not impede packaging of HIV-1 tRNA(Lys3) but promotes intracellular budding of virus-like particles.
Shehu-Xhilaga M, Lee JY, Campbell S, Marshall JA, Crowe SM, Mak J
J Biomed Sci. 2002 Nov; 9(6 Pt 2):697-705
- Proline residues within spacer peptide p1 are important for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infectivity, protein processing, and genomic RNA dimer stability.
Hill MK, Shehu-Xhilaga M, Crowe SM, Mak J
J Virol. 2002 Nov; 76(22):11245-11253
- The role of monocytes and macrophages in the pathogenesis of HIV-1 infection.
Kedzierska K, Crowe SM
Curr Med Chem. 2002 Nov; 9(21):1893-1903
- Coreceptor phenotype of natural human immunodeficiency virus with nef deleted evolves in vivo, leading to increased virulence.
Jekle A, Schramm B, Jayakumar P, Trautner V, Schols D, De Clercq E, Mills J, Crowe SM, Goldsmith MA
J Virol. 2002 Jul; 76(14):6966-6973
- The conformation of the mature dimeric human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA genome requires packaging of pol protein.
Shehu-Xhilaga M, Hill M, Marshall JA, Kappes J, Crowe SM, Mak J
J Virol. 2002 May; 76(9):4331-4340
- HIV-1 down-modulates gamma signaling chain of Fc gamma R in human macrophages: a possible mechanism for inhibition of phagocytosis.
Kedzierska K, Ellery P, Mak J, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Immunol. 2002 Mar; 168(6):2895-2903
- Reservoirs for HIV infection and their persistence in the face of undetectable viral load.
Sonza S, Crowe SM
AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2001 Oct; 15(10):511-518
- Lipid rafts and HIV-1: from viral entry to assembly of progeny virions.
Campbell SM, Crowe SM, Mak J
J Clin Virol. 2001 Oct; 22(3):217-227
- Quantifying complement-mediated phagocytosis by human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Chan HT, Kedzierska K, O'Mullane J, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
Immunol Cell Biol. 2001 Oct; 79(5):429-435
- Does plasma HIV RNA predict outcome in a cohort of treated HIV-infected individuals followed over 3 years?
Mijch AM, Hoy J, Watson K, Dunne A, Crowe S, Wesselingh SL
J Clin Virol. 2001 Oct; 22(3):271-278
- Proteolytic processing of the p2/nucleocapsid cleavage site is critical for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA dimer maturation.
Shehu-Xhilaga M, Kraeusslich HG, Pettit S, Swanstrom R, Lee JY, Marshall JA, Crowe SM, Mak J
J Virol. 2001 Oct; 75(19):9156-9164
- Comparison of genotyping and phenotyping methods for determining susceptibility of HIV-1 to antiretroviral drugs.
Dunne AL, Mitchell FM, Coberly SK, Hellmann NS, Hoy J, Mijch A, Petropoulos CJ, Mills J, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2001 Aug; 15(12):1471-1475
- FcgammaR-mediated phagocytosis by human macrophages involves Hck, Syk, and Pyk2 and is augmented by GM-CSF.
Kedzierska K, Vardaxis NJ, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 2001 Aug; 70(2):322-328
- Gag-Pol supplied in trans is efficiently packaged and supports viral function in human immunodeficiency virus type 1.
Hill MK, Hooker CW, Harrich D, Crowe SM, Mak J
J Virol. 2001 Aug; 75(15):6835-6840
- Proceedings of the Australasian Society for HIV Medicine 12th Annual Conference. 12-14 October 2000. Melbourne, Australia.
Crowe SM, Mills J, Mijch A
J Clin Virol. 2001 Jul; 22(3):215-216
- Biology of HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections.
Crowe S, Mills J
Venereology. 2001 Jul; 14(4):181-188
- Uptake of HIV and latex particles by fresh and cultured dendritic cells and monocytes.
Reece JC, Vardaxis NJ, Marshall JA, Crowe SM, Cameron PU
Immunol Cell Biol. 2001 Jun; 79(3):255-263
- nef-deleted HIV-1 inhibits phagocytosis by monocyte-derived macrophages in vitro but not by peripheral blood monocytes in vivo.
Kedzierska K, Mak J, Jaworowski A, Greenway A, Violo A, Chan HT, Hocking J, Purcell D, Sullivan JS, Mills J, Crowe S
AIDS. 2001 May; 15(8):945-955
- Cytokines and HIV-1: interactions and clinical implications.
Kedzierska K, Crowe SM
Antivir Chem Chemother. 2001 May; 12(3):133-150
- Maintenance of the Gag/Gag-Pol ratio is important for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA dimerization and viral infectivity.
Shehu-Xhilaga M, Crowe SM, Mak J
J Virol. 2001 Feb; 75(4):1834-1841
- Monocytes harbour replication-competent, non-latent HIV-1 in patients on highly active antiretroviral therapy.
Sonza S, Mutimer HP, Oelrichs R, Jardine D, Harvey K, Dunne A, Purcell DF, Birch C, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2001 Jan; 15(1):17-22
- HIV-1 can be recovered from a variety of cells including peripheral blood monocytes of patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy: a further obstacle to eradication.
Crowe SM, Sonza S
J Leukoc Biol. 2000 Sep; 68(3):345-350
- Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor inhibits HIV-1 replication in monocyte-derived macrophages.
Kedzierska K, Maerz A, Warby T, Jaworowski A, Chan H, Mak J, Sonza S, Lopez A, Crowe S
AIDS. 2000 Aug; 14(12):1739-1748
- Efficacy and kinetics of glycerol inactivation of HIV-1 in split skin grafts.
Cameron PU, Pagnon JC, van Baare J, Reece JC, Vardaxis NJ, Crowe SM
J Med Virol. 2000 Feb; 60(2):182-188
- Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor augments phagocytosis of Mycobacterium avium complex by human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected monocytes/macrophages in vitro and in vivo.
Kedzierska K, Mak J, Mijch A, Cooke I, Rainbird M, Roberts S, Paukovics G, Jolley D, Lopez A, Crowe SM
J Infect Dis. 2000 Jan; 181(1):390-394
- Monocyte-derived dendritic cells as a model for the study of HIV-1 infection: productive infection and phenotypic changes during culture in human serum.
Mallon DF, Buck A, Reece JC, Crowe SM, Cameron PU
Immunol Cell Biol. 1999 Oct; 77(5):442-450
- New reverse transcriptase inhibitors.
Adv Exp Med Biol. 1999 Jul; 458:183-197
- Immunologic and virologic status after 14 to 18 years of infection with an attenuated strain of HIV-1. A report from the Sydney Blood Bank Cohort.
Learmont JC, Geczy AF, Mills J, Ashton LJ, Raynes-Greenow CH, Garsia RJ, Dyer WB, McIntyre L, Oelrichs RB, Rhodes DI, Deacon NJ, Sullivan JS (Professor Suzanne Crowe AM was a member of the study group)
N Engl J Med. 1999 Jun; 340(22):1715-1722
- Does HIV cause depletion of CD4+ T cells in vivo by the induction of apoptosis?
Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
Immunol Cell Biol. 1999 Feb; 77(1):90-98
- HIV viral load monitoring.
Richman D, Crowe S, Harvey K
Adv Exp Med Biol. 1999 Jan; 458:199-212
- The 1998 Lindberg Award. Comparison of glycerol preservation with cryopreservation methods on HIV-1 inactivation.
van Baare J, Cameron PU, Vardaxis N, Pagnon J, Reece J, Middelkoop E, Crowe SM
J Burn Care Rehabil. 1998 Nov; 19(6):494-500
- Outpatient continuous intravenous interleukin-2 or subcutaneous, polyethylene glycol-modified interleukin-2 in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients: a randomized, controlled, multicenter study. Australian IL-2 Study Group.
A Carr, S Emery, A Lloyd, J Hoy, R Garsia, M French, G Stewart, G Fyfe, D A Cooper. (Professor Suzanne Crowe AM was a member of the study group)
J Infect Dis. 1998 Oct; 178(4):992-999
- Specificity of binding of HIV-1 anti-p24 antibodies to CD4+ lymphocytes from HIV-infected subjects.
Cameron PU, Hunter SD, Jolley D, Sonza S, Mijch A, Crowe SM
Cytometry. 1998 Sep; 33(1):83-88
- HIV-1 selection by epidermal dendritic cells during transmission across human skin.
Reece JC, Handley AJ, Anstee EJ, Morrison WA, Crowe SM, Cameron PU
J Exp Med. 1998 May; 187(10):1623-1631
- Effect of GM-CSF on HIV-1 replication in monocytes/macrophages in vivo and in vitro: a review.
Kedzierska K, Rainbird MA, Lopez AF, Crowe SM
Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 1998 May; 63(1-2):111-121
- HIV-1 DNA and mRNA concentrations are similar in peripheral blood monocytes and alveolar macrophages in HIV-1-infected individuals.
Lewin SR, Kirihara J, Sonza S, Irving L, Mills J, Crowe SM
AIDS. 1998 May; 12(7):719-727
- Pitfalls of processed pseudogenes in RT-PCR.
Mutimer H, Deacon N, Crowe S, Sonza S
Biotechniques. 1998 Apr; 24(4):585-588
- Microsporidial disease in HIV-infected patients: a report of 42 patients and review of the literature.
Leder K, Ryan N, Spelman D, Crowe SM
Scand J Infect Dis. 1998 Jan; 30(4):331-338
- Effects of monocyte purification and culture on integrin expression.
Stent G, Crowe SM
APMIS. 1997 Sep; 105(9):663-670
- GM-CSF and its effects on replication of HIV-1 in cells of macrophage lineage.
Crowe SM, Lopez A
J Leukoc Biol. 1997 Jul; 62(1):41-48
- A continuing enigma: the role of cells of macrophage lineage in the development of HIV disease.
Perno CF, Crowe SM, Kornbluth RS
J Leukoc Biol. 1997 Jul; 62(1):1-3
- Effects of HIV-1 on the surface expression of LFA-1 on cultured monocytes.
Stent G, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1997 Jun; 15(2):95-103
- Constitutive expression of p50 homodimer in freshly isolated human monocytes decreases with in vitro and in vivo differentiation: a possible mechanism influencing human immunodeficiency virus replication in monocytes and mature macrophages.
Lewin SR, Lambert P, Deacon NJ, Mills J, Crowe SM
J Virol. 1997 Mar; 71(3):2114-2119
- Comparison of branched DNA and reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction for quantifying six different HIV-1 subtypes in plasma.
A L Dunne, S M Crowe
AIDS. 1997 Jan; 11(1):126-127
- Human immunodeficiency virus grown in CD4-expressing cells is associated with CD4.
Hartley CA, Gilbert MJ, Brigido L, Elbeik T, Levy JA, Crowe SM, Mills J
J Gen Virol. 1996 Sep; 77 ( Pt 9):2015-2023
- Quantifying phagocytosis of Mycobacterium avium complex by human monocytes in whole blood.
Hewish MJ, Meikle AM, Hunter SD, Crowe SM
Immunol Cell Biol. 1996 Aug; 74(4):306-312
- Surface CD4 is critical to in vitro HIV infection of human alveolar macrophages.
Lewin SR, Sonza S, Irving LB, McDonald CF, Mills J, Crowe SM
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1996 Jul; 12(10):877-883
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 replication is blocked prior to reverse transcription and integration in freshly isolated peripheral blood monocytes.
Sonza S, Maerz A, Deacon N, Meanger J, Mills J, Crowe S
J Virol. 1996 Jun; 70(6):3863-3869
- The interaction of macrophage and non-macrophage tropic isolates of HIV-1 with thymic and tonsillar dendritic cells in vitro.
Cameron PU, Lowe MG, Sotzik F, Coughlan AF, Crowe SM, Shortman K
J Exp Med. 1996 Apr; 183(4):1851-1856
- Response: Attenuated HIV Vaccine: Caveats.
Deacon NJ, McPhee DA, Crowe S, Learmont J, Mills J
Science. 1996 Mar; 271(5257):1791-1792
- Managing HIV. Part 4: Primary therapy. 4.1 Antiretroviral therapies for HIV.
Crowe S, Cooper DA, Chambers DE
Med J Aust. 1996 Mar; 164(5):290-295
- Managing HIV. Part 3: Mechanisms of disease. 3.3 How HIV leads to opportunistic infections.
Crowe SM, Kornbluth RS
Med J Aust. 1996 Feb; 164(3):171-173
- Role of macrophages in the pathogenesis of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
Aust N Z J Med. 1995 Dec; 25(6):777-783
- Genomic structure of an attenuated quasi species of HIV-1 from a blood transfusion donor and recipients.
Deacon NJ, Tsykin A, Solomon A, Smith K, Ludford-Menting M, Hooker DJ, McPhee DA, Greenway AL, Ellett A, Chatfield C, Lawson VA, Crowe S, Maerz A, Sonza S, Learmont J, Sullivan JS, Cunningham A, Dwyer D, Dowton D, Mills J
Science. 1995 Nov; 270(5238):988-991
- Susceptibility of human monocytes to HIV type 1 infection in vitro is not dependent on their level of CD4 expression.
Sonza S, Maerz A, Uren S, Violo A, Hunter S, Boyle W, Crowe S
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1995 Jul; 11(7):769-776
- HIV-1 infection of human macrophages impairs phagocytosis and killing of Toxoplasma gondii.
Biggs BA, Hewish M, Kent S, Hayes K, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 1995 Jun; 154(11):6132-6139
- The kinetics of surface expression of CD11/CD18 integrins and CD54 on monocytes and macrophages.
Stent G, Irving L, Lewin S, Crowe SM
Clin Exp Immunol. 1995 May; 100(2):366-376
- The role of bronchoscopy in the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary disease in HIV-infected patients.
Lewin SR, Hoy J, Crowe SM, McDonald CF
Aust N Z J Med. 1995 Apr; 25(2):133-139
- In vitro growth of the microsporidian Septata intestinalis from an AIDS patient with disseminated illness.
Doultree JC, Maerz AL, Ryan NJ, Baird RW, Wright E, Crowe SM, Marshall JA
J Clin Microbiol. 1995 Feb; 33(2):463-470
- Preferential entry and productive infection of CD4 expressing lymphoid dendritic cells by macrophage-tropic HIV-1.
P U Cameron, M G Lowe, F Sotzik, A F Coughlan, S M Crowe, K Shortman
Adv Exp Med Biol. 1995 Jan; 378:429-433
- A simple method for the propagation of cervical lymphocytes.
Moscicki AB, Hunter SD, Garland S, Quinn M, Crowe SM, Shortman K, Stites D
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 1995 Jan; 2(1):40-43
- Silastic with polyacrylic acid filler: swelling properties, biocompatibility and potential use in cochlear implants.
Seldon HL, Dahm MC, Clark GM, Crowe S
Biomaterials. 1994 Nov; 15(14):1161-1169
- Susceptibility of dendritic cells to HIV-1 infection in vitro.
Cameron PU, Lowe MG, Crowe SM, O'Doherty U, Pope M, Gezelter S, Steinman RM
J Leukoc Biol. 1994 Sep; 56(3):257-265
- Overview of HIV interactions with macrophages and dendritic cells: the other infection in AIDS.
Crowe SM, Kornbluth RS
J Leukoc Biol. 1994 Sep; 56(3):215-217
- HIV infection of monocyte-derived macrophages in vitro reduces phagocytosis of Candida albicans.
S M Crowe, N J Vardaxis, S J Kent, A L Maerz, M J Hewish, M S McGrath, J Mills
J Leukoc Biol. 1994 Sep; 56(3):318-327
- HIV replication in chronically infected macrophages is not inhibited by the Tat inhibitors Ro-5-3335 and Ro-24-7429.
Dunne AL, Siregar H, Mills J, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 1994 Sep; 56(3):369-373
- Expression of CD11/CD18 and ICAM-1 on monocytes and lymphocytes of HIV-1-infected individuals.
Stent G, Cameron PU, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 1994 Sep; 56(3):304-309
- Accumulation of unintegrated circular viral DNA in monocytes and growth-arrested T cells following infection with HIV-1.
Sonza S, Kiernan RE, Maerz AL, Deacon NJ, McPhee DA, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 1994 Sep; 56(3):289-293
- CD4 lymphocyte numbers after splenectomy in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus.
Fairley CK, Spelman D, Street A, Jennens ID, Spicer WJ, Crowe S
Int J STD AIDS. 1994 May; 5(3):177-181
- Lymphocyte subset analysis by Boolean algebra: a phenotypic approach using a cocktail of 5 antibodies and 3 color immunofluorescence.
Hunter SD, Peters LE, Wotherspoon JS, Crowe SM
Cytometry. 1994 Mar; 15(3):258-266
- HIV-1 infection of monocyte-derived macrophages reduces Fc and complement receptor expression.
Kent SJ, Stent G, Sonza S, Hunter SD, Crowe SM
Clin Exp Immunol. 1994 Mar; 95(3):450-454
- Anti-nuclear, anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic and anti-glomerular basement membrane antibodies in HIV-infected individuals.
J A Savige, L Chang, S Horn, S M Crowe
Autoimmunity. 1994 Jan; 18(3):205-211
- AIDS pathogenesis.
Lewin SR, Crowe SM
AIDS. 1994 Jan; 8 Suppl 2:S3-11
- Bacterial lipopolysaccharide mediates the loss of CD4 from the surface of purified peripheral blood monocytes.
Neate EV, Greenhalgh AM, McPhee DA, Crowe SM
Clin Exp Immunol. 1992 Dec; 90(3):539-544
- Human immunodeficiency virus-infected monocyte-derived macrophages express surface gp120 and fuse with CD4 lymphoid cells in vitro: a possible mechanism of T lymphocyte depletion in vivo.
Crowe SM, Mills J, Elbeik T, Lifson JD, Kosek J, Marshall JA, Engleman EG, McGrath MS
Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1992 Nov; 65(2):143-151
- Lack of evidence of occult human immunodeficiency virus in seronegative individuals at very high risk of infection.
Crowe SM, Elbeik T, Ulrich PP, Mills J, Moss A
J Med Virol. 1991 Nov; 35(3):160-164
- Clinical and virologic effects of recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in patients receiving chemotherapy for human immunodeficiency virus-associated non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of a randomized trial.
L D Kaplan, J O Kahn, S Crowe, D Northfelt, P Neville, H Grossberg, D I Abrams, J Tracey, J Mills, P A Volberding
J Clin Oncol. 1991 Jun; 9(6):929-940
- Antibodies to gp41 and nef in otherwise HIV-negative homosexual man with Kaposi's sarcoma.
Bowden FJ, McPhee DA, Deacon NJ, Cumming SA, Doherty RR, Sonza S, Lucas CR, Crowe SM
Lancet. 1991 Jun; 337(8753):1313-1314
- Direct quantification of HIV-1 infectivity for monocyte--macrophages using an infectious focus assay.
Sonza S, Burgess SH, Crowe SM
AIDS. 1991 May; 5(5):571-574
- Predictive value of CD4 lymphocyte numbers for the development of opportunistic infections and malignancies in HIV-infected persons.
Crowe SM, Carlin JB, Stewart KI, Lucas CR, Hoy JF
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1991 Jan; 4(8):770-776
- Mediators of fusion between HIV-infected macrophages and lymphoid cells.
Crowe S, Mills J, McGrath MS
Adv Exp Med Biol. 1991 Jan; 300:57-66; discussion 67
- Full-length recombinant CD4 and recombinant gp120 inhibit fusion between HIV infected macrophages and uninfected CD4-expressing T-lymphoblastoid cells.
Crowe SM, Mills J, Kirihara J, Boothman J, Marshall JA, McGrath MS
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1990 Aug; 6(8):1031-1037
- Papers presented at the Conference on HIV, Lentiviruses, and the Monocyte-Macrophage. November 9-10, 1989, San Francisco, California. Proceedings.
Crowe S, McGrath M, Mills J
AIDS Res Human Retrovir. 1990 Jul; 6(8):963
- Comparative assessment of antiretrovirals in human monocyte-macrophages and lymphoid cell lines acutely and chronically infected with the human immunodeficiency virus.
Crowe SM, McGrath MS, Elbeik T, Kirihara J, Mills J
J Med Virol. 1989 Nov; 29(3):176-180
- Serum beta 2-microglobulin decreases in patients with AIDS or ARC treated with azidothymidine.
M A Jacobson, D I Abrams, P A Volberding, P Bacchetti, J Wilber, R E Chaisson, S Crowe, W Howard, A Moss
J Infect Dis. 1989 Jun; 159(6):1029-1036
- GLQ223: an inhibitor of human immunodeficiency virus replication in acutely and chronically infected cells of lymphocyte and mononuclear phagocyte lineage.
M S McGrath, K M Hwang, S E Caldwell, I Gaston, K C Luk, P Wu, V L Ng, S Crowe, J Daniels, J Marsh
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989 Apr; 86(8):2844-2848
- Intralesional recombinant tumor necrosis factor-alpha for AIDS-associated Kaposi's sarcoma: a randomized, double-blind trial.
J O Kahn, L D Kaplan, P A Volberding, J L Ziegler, S Crowe, S R Saks, D I Abrams
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1989 Jan; 2(3):217-223
- Release of interleukin 1 inhibitory activity (contra-IL-1) by human monocyte-derived macrophages infected with human immunodeficiency virus in vitro and in vivo.
R M Locksley, S Crowe, M D Sadick, F P Heinzel, K D Jr Gardner, M S McGrath, J Mills
J Clin Invest. 1988 Dec; 82(6):2097-2105
- Effect of Foscarnet therapy on infection with human immunodeficiency virus in patients with AIDS.
M A Jacobson, S Crowe, J Levy, F Aweeka, J Gambertoglio, N McManus, J Mills
J Infect Dis. 1988 Oct; 158(4):862-865
- AIDS related Kaposi's sarcoma presenting as ulcerative colitis and complicated by toxic megacolon.
B A Biggs, S M Crowe, C R Lucas, M Ralston, I L Thompson, K J Hardy
Gut. 1987 Oct; 28(10):1302-1306
- An outbreak of hepatitis B and D in butchers.
A M Mijch, R Barnes, S M Crowe, M Dimitrakakis, C R Lucas
Scand J Infect Dis. 1987 Jan; 19(2):179-184
- Quantitative immunocytofluorographic analysis of CD4 surface antigen expression and HIV infection of human peripheral blood monocyte/macrophages.
S Crowe, J Mills, M S McGrath
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1987 Jan; 3(2):135-145
News Articles (34)