Professor Suzanne Crowe AM retired from Burnet Institute in 2018 following a stellar 30+ year career as a clinical researcher.
Suzanne was an integral part of Burnet’s development as a leading HIV research organisation and held many leadership roles including Program Director, Healthy Ageing and Head of the Centre for Virology. She was appointed as a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in 2011 in recognition of her services to medical research in HIV/AIDS medicine and infectious diseases as an academic, clinician and researcher, and to professional associations.
- 2017-18: Program Director, Expansion Programs (Healthy Ageing), Burnet Institute
- 2013-18: Associate Director (Clinical Research), Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2008-2013: Head, Centre for Virology, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2008-2018: Head, WHO Regional Reference Laboratory for HIV Resistance, Burnet Institute,Australia
- 2002-2018: NHMRC Principal Research Fellow
- 1999-2018: Professor of Medicine and Infectious Diseases (Personal Chair), Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1994-2018: Consultant Physician in Infectious Diseases and General Medicine, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1992-2017: Head, Clinical Research Laboratory, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Victoria, Australia
- 1989-2011: Head, Pathogenesis and Clinical Research, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Australia
- 1989-2017: Head, Flow Cytometry Laboratory, Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health, Australia
- 2011: British Medical Association Book Award for Kucers, The Use of Antibiotics, Sixth Edition. Eds Grayson, Crowe, McCarthy, Mills, Muton, Norby, Paterson, Pfaller
- 2011: Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
- 2008: Priscilla Kincaid Smith Medal, The Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2007: Member ‘Faculty of 1000’ Medicine, Medicine Reports Ltd (Science Navigation Group) United Kingdom
- 2006: Inaugural Frank Fenner Award, Burnet Institute, Melbourne.
- 2005: Life time Achievement Award, 5th International Conference on AIDS, India
- 1997: Royal Australian College of Physicians, The Macquarie Bank Travelling Fellowship.
- 1997: Inaugural Award for Outstanding Past Pupil of Genazzano College
- 1994-1996: Commonwealth AIDS Research Grants Career Award
- 1993: Society for Leukocyte Biology Award for International Advancement of the Science of AIDS
- 1991: Glaxo Award for Advanced Research in Infectious Diseases
- 1989-1993: Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowship
- 1988: Fogarty Travelling Fellowship (to attend IV Int Conf on AIDS), Stockholm
- 1988: Beecham Research Award (Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 1987: International Award for AIDS Research (World Federation of Contraception/Health)
- 1986-88: Harkness Foundation Fellowship
- 1986: Merck, Sharp and Dohme Travelling Scholarship
- 1979: Mead-Johnson Prize for Paediatrics
- 1977: Jean C Tolhurst Memorial Prize for Microbiology
Ageing Well with HIV
- Trends in late and advanced HIV diagnoses among migrants in Australia; implications for progress on Fast-Track targets: A retrospective observational study.
Marukutira T, Gunaratnam P, Douglass C, Jamil MS, McGregor S, Guy R, Gray RT, Spelman T, Horyniak D, Higgins N, Giele C, Crowe SM, Stoové M, Hellard M
Medicine. 2020 Feb; 99(8):e19289
- Modelling the impact of migrants on the success of the HIV care and treatment program in Botswana.
Marukutira T, Scott N, Kelly SL, Birungi C, Makhema JM, Crowe S, Stoové M, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2020 Jan; 15(1):e0226422
- Inflammatory and immunometabolic consequences of gut dysfunction in HIV: Parallels with IBD and implications for reservoir persistence and non-AIDS comorbidities.
Alzahrani J, Hussain T, Simar D, Palchaudhuri R, Abdel-Mohsen M, Crowe SM, Mbogo GW, Palmer CS
EBioMedicine. 2019 Jul; 46:522-531
- Clinical outcomes of a cohort of migrants and citizens living with human immunodeficiency virus in Botswana: implications for Joint United Nation Program on HIV and AIDS 90-90-90 targets.
Marukutira T, Yin D, Cressman L, Kariuki R, Malone B, Spelman T, Mawandia S, Ledikwe JH, Semo BW, Crowe S, Stoove M, Hellard M, Dickinson D
Medicine. 2019 Jun; 98(23):e15994
News Articles (37)