Maria with baby Stan in Timor-Leste
Burnet has launched Campaign to STOP TB and we need your help.
This ancient disease is taking on a new form and is causing the death of one child every five minutes. This year more than 500,000 children like baby Stan in Timor-Leste will become ill with TB.
Burnet Director and CEO, Professor Brendan Crabb has urged supporters of Burnet and the community to get behind our Campaign to STOP TB.
“TB is a re-emerging and serious threat to communities globally and I urge you to give to this Appeal and help Burnet respond to the TB crisis,” he said.
“We need a fully effective vaccine, cheap and rapid tests, and drugs with shorter treatment times.
“Young children like Stan are just too little to cough up enough phlegm for a test. The only option is inserting a tube down their nose and into their stomach to remove a sample which can be scary and it hurts.
“Help us purchase a GeneXpert machine for $65,000 that will quickly diagnose children like Stan in Timor-Leste in less than two hours!”
How you can help?
- Donate today to the Campaign to STOP TB
- Re-tweet our message (below) to friends and family
- Like our Facebook page and share our post
- Help us buy a GeneXpert machine for $65,000 that will quickly diagnose children like Stan in Timor-Leste in less than two hours!
- Find out more about Burnet’s TB projects underway.
The more children we can properly diagnose, the more lives we can save.