Professor Brendan Crabb AC is the Director and CEO of Burnet Institute and the current Chair of the Victorian Chapter of the Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes. He was President of the Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes from 2012 -2014.
Professor Crabb was awarded a a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) for his contributions to medical research and global health in the 2015 Australia Day honours.
He is a medical researcher and health administrator and advocate committed to improving the lives of poor, vulnerable and marginalised communities. Professor Crabb is a molecular biologist with a particular interest in infectious diseases and in health issues of the developing world. His personal research is the development of a malaria vaccine and the identification of new treatments for this disease. He is a member (and former Chair) of the US-based Malaria Vaccine Science Portfolio Advisory Committee.
Professor Crabb holds Professorial appointments at The University of Melbourne and Monash University. Until his appointment as Director of Burnet Institute he was a Senior Principal Research Fellow of the National Health & Medical Research Council of Australia, and an International Research Fellow of the US-based Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
He serves on the Scientific Advisory Boards of the UK-based Sanger Institute’s Malaria Program and the Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Science. Professor Crabb was the Editor-in-Chief of the world’s leading parasitology research journal, the International Journal for Parasitology, from 2006 to 2009.
Professor Crabb has a strong interest and long-standing involvement in education. He was a full-time teaching academic at the University of Melbourne and is currently involved in educational and curriculum development activities for high school students and teachers through the Gene Technology Access Centre (gtac.edu.au).
In addition to his own research, education and research leadership roles, Professor Crabb is passionately committed to science and medical research advocacy, and in particular to drawing attention to the critical role health innovations have had, and will continue to have, on the development of mankind.
Select Recent Publications
- Biosynthesis, localisation and macromolecular arrangement of the Plasmodium falciparum translocon of exported proteins; PTEX.
Bullen HE, Charnaud SC, Kalanon M, Riglar DT, Dekiwadia C, Kangwanrangsan N, Torii M, Tsuboi T, Baum J, Ralph SA, Cowman AF, de Koning-Ward TF, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
J Biol Chem. 2012 Jan; 287(11):7871-7884
- Biochemical and Functional Analysis of Two Plasmodium falciparum Blood-Stage 6-Cys Proteins: P12 and P41.
Taechalertpaisarn T, Crosnier C, Bartholdson SJ, Hodder AN, Thompson J, Bustamante LY, Wilson DW, Sanders PR, Wright GJ, Rayner JC, Cowman AF, Gilson PR, Crabb BS
PLoS One. 2012 Jul; 7(7):e41937
- Protein kinase a dependent phosphorylation of apical membrane antigen 1 plays an important role in erythrocyte invasion by the malaria parasite.
Leykauf K, Treeck M, Gilson PR , Nebl T, Braulke T, Cowman AF, Gilberger TW, Crabb BS.
PLoS Pathogens. 2010. 6(6):e1000941
- An aspartyl protease directs malaria effector proteins to the host cell.
Boddey JA , Hodder AN, Gunther S, Gilson PR, Patsiouras H, Kapp EA, Pearce JA, de Koning-Ward TF, Simpson RJ, Crabb BS, Cowman AF.
- A newly discovered protein export machine in malaria parasites.
de Koning-Ward TF, Gilson PR, Boddey JA, Rug M, Smith BJ, Papenfuss AT, Sanders PR, Lundie RJ, Maier AG, Cowman AF, Crabb BS.
Nature. 2009. 459(7249):945-949
- Morphology and kinetics of the three distinct phases of red blood cell invasion by Plasmodium falciparum merozoites.
Gilson PR, Crabb BS.
Int J Parasitol. 2009. 39(1):91-96
- Identification and stoichiometry of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored membrane proteins of the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum.
Gilson PR, Nebl T, Vukcevic D, Moritz RL, Sargeant T, Speed TP, Schofield L, Crabb BS.
Mol Cell Proteomics. 2006. 5(7):1286-1299
- Exported proteins required for virulence and rigidity of Plasmodium falciparum-infected human erythrocytes.
Maier AG, Rug M, O'Neill MT, Brown M, Chakravorty S, Szestak T, Chesson J, Wu Y, Hughes K, Coppel RL, Newbold C, Beeson JG, Craig A, Crabb BS, Cowman AF.
Cell. 2008. 134(1):48-61
- A var gene promoter controls allelic exclusion of virulence genes in Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Voss TS, Healer J, Marty AJ, Duffy MF, Thompson JK, Beeson JG, Reeder JC, Crabb BS, Cowman AF.
Nature. 2006. 439(7079):1004-1008
- Director and Chief Executive Officer, Burnet Institute, 2008-ongoing.
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Centre for Cancer Biology, UniSA and SA Pathology from 2015.
- Chair, Victorian Chapter of the Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes (AAMRI) from 2014.
- President of the Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes (AAMRI), 2012-2014.
- Member, Alfred Medical Research & Education Precinct Council from 2013.
- Board member of the Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes (AAMRI) from 2012.
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MIPS) from 2012.
- Member, PATH/Malaria Vaccine Initiative Vaccine Science Portfolio Advisory Council, USA from 2008
- Professor (Adjunct), University of Melbourne and Monash University.
- Board Member, AMREP AS Pty Ltd
- Board of Management, Gene Technology Access Centre.
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Malaria Program, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, UK
- 1992: PhD, (Virology) School of Veterinary Science, University of Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
- 1988: BSc, (Hons) Department of Microbiology, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1987: BSc, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Identification of inhibitors that dually target the new permeability pathway and dihydroorotate dehydrogenase in the blood stage of Plasmodium falciparum.
Dickerman BK, Elsworth B, Cobbold SA, Nie CQ, McConville MJ, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
Sci Rep. 2016 Nov; 6:37502
- Differing rates of antibody acquisition to merozoite antigens in malaria: implications for immunity and surveillance.
McCallum FJ, Persson KM, Fowkes FJ, Reiling L, Mugyenyi CK, Richards JS, Simpson JA, Williams TN, Gilson PR, Hodder AN, Sanders PR, Anders RF, Narum DL, Chitnis C, Crabb BS, Marsh K, Beeson JG.
J Leukoc Biol. 2016 Nov; Epub ahead of print
- Trafficking of the exported P. falciparum chaperone PfHsp70x.
Rhiel M, Bittl V, Tribensky A, Charnaud SC, Strecker M, Müller S, Lanzer M, Sanchez C, Schaeffer-Reiss C, Westermann B, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, Külzer S, Przyborski JM
Sci Rep. 2016 Nov; 6:36174
- Liver-Resident Memory CD8+ T Cells Form a Front-Line Defense against Malaria Liver-Stage Infection.
Fernandez-Ruiz D, Ng WY, Holz LE, Ma JZ, Zaid A, Wong YC, Lau LS, Mollard V, Cozijnsen A, Collins N, Li J, Davey GM, Kato Y, Devi S, Skandari R, Pauley M, Manton JH, Godfrey DI, Braun A, Tay SS, Tan PS, Bowen DG, Koch-Nolte F, Rissiek B, Carbone FR, Crabb BS, Lahoud M, Cockburn IA, Mueller SN, Bertolino P, McFadden GI, Caminschi I, Heath WR
Immunity. 2016 Oct; 45(4):889-902
- Disrupting the allosteric interaction between the Plasmodium falciparum cAMP-dependent kinase and its regulatory subunit.
Littler DR, Bullen HE, Harvey KL, Beddoe T, Crabb BS, Rossjohn J, Gilson PR
J Biol Chem. 2016 Oct; Epub ahead of print
- Hierarchical phosphorylation of apical membrane antigen 1 is required for efficient red blood cell invasion by malaria parasites.
Prinz B, Harvey KL, Wilcke L, Ruch U, Engelberg K, Biller L, Lucet I, Erkelenz S, Heincke D, Spielmann T, Doerig C, Kunick C, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, Gilberger TW
Sci Rep. 2016 Oct; 6:34479
- Host cell remodeling in malaria parasites: a new pool of potential drug targets.
Gilson PR, Chisholm SA, Crabb BS, de Koning-Ward TF
Int J Parasitol. 2016 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Antimalarial activity of novel 4-cyano-3-methylisoquinoline inhibitors against Plasmodium falciparum: design, synthesis and biological evaluation.
Buskes MJ, Harvey KL, Richards BJ, Kalhor R, Christoff RM, Gardhi CK, Littler DR, Cope ED, Prinz B, Weiss GE, O'Brien NJ, Crabb BS, Deady LW, Gilson PR, Abbott BM
Org Biomol Chem. 2016 Apr; 14(20):4617-4639
- Proteomic analysis reveals novel proteins associated with the Plasmodium protein exporter PTEX and a loss of complex stability upon truncation of the core PTEX component, PTEX150.
Elsworth B, Sanders PR, Nebl T, Batinovic S, Kalanon M, Nie CQ, Charnaud SC, Bullen HE, de Koning Ward TF, Tilley L, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
Cell Microbiol. 2016 Mar; 18(11):1551-1569
- Exploration of 3-methylisoquinoline-4-carbonitriles as protein kinase A inhibitors of Plasmodium falciparum.
Buskes MJ, Harvey KL, Prinz B, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, Wilson DJ, Abbott BM
Bioorg Med Chem. 2016 Mar; 24(11):2389-2396
- Recruitment of Factor H as a Novel Complement Evasion Strategy for Blood-Stage Plasmodium falciparum Infection.
Kennedy AT, Schmidt CQ, Thompson JK, Weiss GE, Taechalertpaisarn T, Gilson PR, Barlow PN, Crabb BS, Cowman AF, Tham WH
J Immunol. 2016 Feb; 196(3):1239-1248
- Overlaying Molecular and Temporal Aspects of Malaria Parasite Invasion.
Weiss GE, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
Trends Parasitol. 2016 Jan; 32(4):284-295
- Contrasting Patterns of Serologic and Functional Antibody Dynamics to Plasmodium falciparum Antigens in a Kenyan Birth Cohort.
Dent AE, Malhotra I, Wang X, Babineau D, Yeo KT, Anderson T, Kimmel RJ, Angov E, Lanar DE, Narum D, Dutta S, Richards J, Beeson JG, Crabb BS, Cowman AF, Horii T, Muchiri E, Mungai PL, King CL, Kazura JW
Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2016 Jan; 23(2):104-116
- Macrolides rapidly inhibit red blood cell invasion by the human malaria parasite, Plasmodium falciparum.
Wilson DW, Goodman CD, Sleebs BE, Weiss GE, de Jong NW, Angrisano F, Langer C, Baum J, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, McFadden GI, Beeson JG
BMC Biol. 2015 Jul; 13(1):52
- A Plasmodium Falciparum Bromodomain Protein Regulates Invasion Gene Expression.
Josling GA, Petter M, Oehring SC, Gupta AP, Dietz O, Wilson DW, Schubert T, Längst G, Gilson PR, Crabb BS, Moes S, Jenoe P, Lim SW, Brown GV, Bozdech Z, Voss TS, Duffy MF
Cell Host Microbe. 2015 Jun; 17(6):741-751
- Advances in molecular genetic systems in malaria.
de Koning-Ward TF, Gilson PR, Crabb BS
Nat Rev Microbiol. 2015 May; 13(6):373-387
- Research as altruism.
Swannell C, Crabb B
MJA. 2015 Apr; 202(4):63-64
- Why Australia needs a Medical Research Future Fund.
Cunningham AL, Anderson T, Bennett CC, Crabb BS, Goodier G, Hilton D, Koff E, Trapani J
Med J Aust. 2015 Feb; 202(3):123-124
- Identification of Potent Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors that Demonstrate Cyclic Nucleotide-Dependent Functions in Apicomplexan Parasites.
Howard BL, Harvey KL, Stewart R, Azevedo MF, Crabb BS, Jennings IG, Sanders PR, Manallack DT, Thompson PE, Tonkin CJ, Gilson PR
ACS Chem Biol. 2015 Jan; 10(4):1145-1154
- Plasmodium falciparum Transfected with Ultra Bright NanoLuc Luciferase Offers High Sensitivity Detection for the Screening of Growth and Cellular Trafficking Inhibitors.
Azevedo MF, Nie CQ, Elsworth B, Charnaud SC, Sanders PR, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
PLoS One. 2014 Nov; 9(11):e112571
- Insights and controversies into the role of the key Apicomplexan invasion ligand, Apical Membrane Antigen 1.
Harvey KL, Yap A, Gilson PR, Cowman AF, Crabb BS
Int J Parasitol. 2014 Aug; 44(12):853-857
- PTEX is an essential nexus for protein export in malaria parasites.
Elsworth B, Matthews K, Nie CQ, Kalanon M, Charnaud SC, Sanders PR, Chisholm SA, Counihan NA, Shaw PJ, Pino P, Chan J-A, Azevedo MF, Rogerson SJ, Beeson JG, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, de Koning-Ward TF
Nature. 2014 Jul; 511(7511):587-591
- CD8+ T Cells from a Novel T Cell Receptor Transgenic Mouse Induce Liver-Stage Immunity That Can Be Boosted by Blood-Stage Infection in Rodent Malaria.
Lau LS, Fernandez-Ruiz D, Mollard V, Sturm A, Neller MA, Cozijnsen A, Gregory JL, Davey GM, Jones CM, Lin YH, Haque A, Engwerda CR, Nie CQ, Hansen DS, Murphy KM, Papenfuss AT, Miles JJ, Burrows SR, de Koning-Ward T, McFadden GI, Carbone FR, Crabb BS, Heath WR
PLoS Pathog. 2014 May; 10(5):e1004135
- The role of parasite Heat Shock Proteins in protein trafficking and host cell remodeling. (Book Chapter)
Charnaud SC, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
in Heat Shock Proteins of Malaria (Eds Addmore Shonhai, Gregory L. Blatch). 2014 Mar; Chapter 6:99-118
- Conditional expression of apical membrane antigen 1 in Plasmodium falciparum shows it is required for erythrocyte invasion by merozoites.
Yap A, Azevedo MF, Gilson PR, Weiss GE, O Neill MT, Wilson DW, Crabb BS, Cowman AF
Cell Microbiol. 2014 Feb; 16(5):642-656
- Protein export in malaria parasites: an update.
Elsworth B, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
Cell Microbiol. 2014 Jan; 16(3):355-363
- The Plasmodium translocon of exported proteins (PTEX) component thioredoxin-2 is important for maintaining normal blood-stage growth.
Matthews K, Kalanon M, Chisholm SA, Sturm A, Goodman CD, Dixon MW, Sanders PR, Nebl T, Fraser F, Haase S, McFadden GI, Gilson PR, Crabb BS, de Koning-Ward TF
Mol Microbiol. 2013 Jul; 89(6):1167-1186
- Identification and prioritization of merozoite antigens as targets of protective human immunity to Plasmodium falciparum malaria for vaccine and biomarker development.
Richards JS, Arumugam TU, Reiling L, Healer J, Hodder AN, Fowkes FJ, Cross N, Langer C, Takeo S, Uboldi AD, Thompson JK, Gilson PR, Coppel RL, Siba PM, King CL, Torii M, Chitnis CE, Narum DL, Mueller I, Crabb BS, Cowman AF, Tsuboi T, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2013 Jun; 191(2):795-809
- Inhibition of Plasmodium falciparum CDPK1 by conditional expression of its J-domain demonstrates a key role in schizont development.
Azevedo MF, Sanders PR, Krejany E, Nie CQ, Fu P, Bach LA, Wunderlich G, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
Biochem J. 2013 Apr; 452(3):433-441
- Host cell remodelling and protein trafficking.
Haase S, Bullen HE, Charnaud SC, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, de Koning-Ward TF
in Malaria Parasites: Comparative Genomics , Evolution and Molecular Biology Ed. Carlton JM, Perkins SL, Deitsch KW. 2013 Jan; pp:199-219