A Laboratory Head, Infectious Diseases Physician and NHMRC Early Career Research Fellow with Burnet, Dr Richards' research seeks to identify antibody responses that confer protection from symptomatic malaria and subsequent malaria vaccine development.
He has ongoing collaborations in Papua New Guinea, and Timor-Leste and continues to practice as an Infectious Diseases Physician at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. He has a particular interest in vector-borne diseases, tropical and travel medicine.
These activities are combined with an interest in public health, especially in determining approaches that can decrease global inequities in health.
- 2013-present: Laboratory Head, Malaria and Tropical Diseases, Burnet Institute
- 2011-present: NHMRC Research Fellow and Principal of Infectious Diseases, Burnet Institute
- 2006-present: Infectious Diseases Consultant Physician, Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, Royal Melbourne Hospital
- 2006-present: Infectious Diseases Consultant Physician, Parkville Medical Centre
- 2001-present: Health Information Services Medical Officer, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- 2008-present: Victorian Arbovirus Surveillance Taskforce medical advisor
- 2011: Doctor of Philosophy, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, University of Melbourne
- 2005: Fellow of Royal Australasian College of Physicians (Infectious Diseases)
- 2005: Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (Hons), Liverpool University
- 2004: Master of Public Health (Hons), Monash University
- 1996: Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, University of Melbourne
- 2012-2015: NHMRC Peter Doherty Early Career Fellowship
- 2012: Royal Australasian College of Physicians Cottrell Fellowship
- 2006-2009: NHMRC Medical Postgraduate Research Scholarship
- 2008: Australian Society for Infectious Diseases, John Forbes/Developing Nations Travelling Scholarship
- 2008: ARC/NHMRC Research Network for Parasitology: Network Researcher Exchange Award
- 2005: Distinction for Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- 2004: Public Health Association of Australia Award for Excellence in Public Health Studies for the top completing MPH student from Monash University
2004: Edelmira Peregrino Go Award, 1st placed student for International Health 2004
- The effect of common anticoagulants in detection and quantification of malaria parasitemia in human red blood cells by ATR-FTIR spectroscopy.
Martin M, Perez-Guaita D, Andrew DW, Richards JS, Wood BR, Heraud P
Analyst. 2017 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Differing rates of antibody acquisition to merozoite antigens in malaria: implications for immunity and surveillance.
McCallum FJ, Persson KM, Fowkes FJ, Reiling L, Mugyenyi CK, Richards JS, Simpson JA, Williams TN, Gilson PR, Hodder AN, Sanders PR, Anders RF, Narum DL, Chitnis C, Crabb BS, Marsh K, Beeson JG.
J Leukoc Biol. 2017 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Association between malaria immunity and pregnancy outcomes among Malawian pregnant women receiving nutrient supplementation.
Chandrasiri UP, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG, Richards JS, Kamiza S, Maleta K, Ashorn P, Rogerson SJ
Malar J. 2016 Nov; 15(1):547
- The association between naturally acquired IgG subclass specific antibodies to the PfRH5 invasion complex and protection from Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Weaver R, Reiling L, Feng G, Drew DR, Mueller I, Siba PM, Tsuboi T, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
Sci Rep. 2016 Sep; 6:33094
- High mobility, low access thwarts interventions among seasonal workers in the Greater Mekong Sub-region: lessons from the malaria containment project.
Canavati SE, Quintero CE, Lawford HL, Yok S, Lek D, Richards JS, Whittaker MA
Malar J. 2016 Aug; 15(1):434
- The global threat of Zika virus to pregnancy: epidemiology, clinical perspectives, mechanisms, and impact.
Boeuf P, Drummer HE, Richards JS, Scoullar MJ, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2016 Aug; 14(1):112
- World Malaria Day 2016 in the Kingdom of Cambodia: high-level governmental support embodies the WHO call for “political will to end malaria".
Canavati SE, Quintero CE, Bou T, Khieu V, Leang R, Lek D, Ly P, Muth S, Lim KS, Tuseo L, Yok S, Yung K, Richards JS, Rekol H
Malaria Journal. 2016 Jun; 15:303
- High resolution FTIR imaging provides automated discrimination and detection of single malaria parasite infected erythrocytes on glass.
Perez-Guaita D, Andrew D, Heraud P, Beeson J, Anderson D, Richards J, Wood BR
Faraday Discuss. 2016 Apr; 187:341-352
- Strain-transcending immune response generated by chimeras of the malaria vaccine candidate merozoite surface protein 2.
Krishnarjuna B, Andrew D, MacRaild CA, Morales RA, Beeson JG, Anders RF, Richards JS, Norton RS
Sci Rep. 2016 Feb; 6:20613
- Maternal-foetal transfer of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax antibodies in a low transmission setting.
Charnaud SC, McGready R, Herten-Crabb A, Powell R, Guy A, Langer C, Richards JS, Gilson PR, Chotivanich K, Tsuboi T, Narum DL, Pimanpanarak M, Simpson JA, Beeson JG, Nosten F, Fowkes FJ
Sci Rep. 2016 Feb; 6:20859
- Merozoite surface proteins in red blood cell invasion, immunity and vaccines against malaria.
Beeson JG, Drew DR, Boyle MJ, Feng G, Fowkes FJ, Richards JS
FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2016 Jan; 40(3):343-372
- Antibody Recognition of Disordered Antigens.
MacRaild CA, Richards JS, Anders RF, Norton RS
Structure. 2016 Jan; 24(1):148-157
- Contrasting Patterns of Serologic and Functional Antibody Dynamics to Plasmodium falciparum Antigens in a Kenyan Birth Cohort.
Dent AE, Malhotra I, Wang X, Babineau D, Yeo KT, Anderson T, Kimmel RJ, Angov E, Lanar DE, Narum D, Dutta S, Richards J, Beeson JG, Crabb BS, Cowman AF, Horii T, Muchiri E, Mungai PL, King CL, Kazura JW
Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2016 Jan; 23(2):104-116
- Targeting vivax malaria in the Asia Pacific: The Asia Pacific Malaria Elimination Network Vivax Working Group.
Vivax Working Group (including Jack Richards and John Reeder)
Malar J. 2015 Dec; 14(1):484
- Insights into the Immunological Properties of Intrinsically Disordered Malaria Proteins Using Proteome Scale Predictions.
Guy AJ, Irani V, MacRaild CA, Anders RF, Norton RS, Beeson JG, Richards JS, Ramsland PA
PLoS One. 2015 Oct; 10(10):e0141729
- Acquisition of functional antibodies that block the binding of erythrocyte binding antigen 175 and protection against Plasmodium falciparum malaria in children.
Irani V, Ramsland PA, Guy AJ, Siba PM, Mueller I, Richards JS, Beeson JG
Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Jul; 61(8):1244-1252
- The impact of lipid-based nutrient supplementation on anti-malarial antibodies in pregnant women in a randomized controlled trial.
Chandrasiri UP, Fowkes FJ, Richards JS, Langer C7, Fan YM, Taylor SM, Beeson JG, Dewey KG, Maleta K, Ashorn P, Rogerson SJ
Malar J. 2015 May; 14(1):193
- Molecular properties of human IgG subclasses and their implications for designing therapeutic monoclonal antibodies against infectious diseases.
Irani V, Guy AJ, Andrew D, Beeson JG, Ramsland PA, Richards JS
Mol Immunol. 2015 Apr; 67(2 Pt A):171-182
- Plasmodium vivax malaria: challenges in diagnosis, treatment, and elimination.
Beeson JG, Chu C, Richards JS, Nosten F, Fowkes FJ
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015 Mar; 34(5):529-531
- Conformational dynamics and antigenicity in the disordered malaria antigen merozoite surface protein 2.
MacRaild CA, Zachrdla M, Andrew D, Krishnarjuna B, Nováček J, Žídek L, Sklenář V, Richards JS, Beeson JG, Anders RF, Norton RS
PLoS One. 2015 Mar; 10(3):e0119899
- APTEC: Aptamer-tethered enzyme capture as a novel rapid diagnostic test for malaria.
Dirkzwager R, Kinghorn A, Richards JS, Tanner JA
Chem Comm. 2015 Feb; 51(22):4697-4700
- Acquisition of antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum merozoites and malaria immunity in young children: influence of age, force of infection, and magnitude of response.
Stanisic DI, Fowkes FJ, Koinari M, Javati S, Lin E, Kiniboro B, Richards JS, Robinson LJ, Schofield L, Kazura JW, King CL, Zimmerman P, Felger I, Siba PM, Mueller I, Beeson JG
Infect Immun. 2015 Feb; 83(2):646-660
- Research priorities for the development and implementation of serological tools for malaria surveillance
Elliott SR, Fowkes FJI, Richards JS, Reiling L, Drew DR, Beeson JG
F1000Prime Reports. 2014 Nov; 6:100
- Limited antigenic diversity of Plasmodium falciparum apical membrane antigen 1 supports the development of effective multi-allele vaccines.
Terheggen U, Drew DR, Hodder AN, Cross NJ, Mugyenyi CK, Barry AE, Anders RF, Dutta S, Osier F, Elliott SR, Senn N, Stanisic DI, Marsh K, Siba PM, Mueller I, Richards JS, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2014 Oct; 12(1):183
- Opsonic phagocytosis of Plasmodium falciparum merozoites: mechanism in human immunity and a correlate of protection against malaria.
Osier FH, Feng G, Boyle MJ, Langer C, Zhou J, Richards JS, McCallum FJ, Reiling L, Jaworowski A, Anders RF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2014 Jul; 12(1):108
- Low seroprevalence of Murray Valley Encephalitis and Kunjin viruses in an opportunistic serosurvey, Victoria 2011.
Williams SA, Richards JS, Faddy HM, Leydon J, Moran R, Nicholson S, Perry F, Paskin R, Catton M, Lester R, Mackenzie JS
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2013 Oct; 37(5):427-433
- Identification and prioritization of merozoite antigens as targets of protective human immunity to Plasmodium falciparum malaria for vaccine and biomarker development.
Richards JS, Arumugam TU, Reiling L, Healer J, Hodder AN, Fowkes FJ, Cross N, Langer C, Takeo S, Uboldi AD, Thompson JK, Gilson PR, Coppel RL, Siba PM, King CL, Torii M, Chitnis CE, Narum DL, Mueller I, Crabb BS, Cowman AF, Tsuboi T, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2013 Jun; 191(2):795-809
- Erythrocyte-Binding Antigens of Plasmodium falciparum Are Targets of Human Inhibitory Antibodies and Function To Evade Naturally Acquired Immunity.
Persson KE, Fowkes FJ, McCallum FJ, Gicheru N, Reiling L, Richards JS, Wilson DW, Lopaticki S, Cowman AF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2013 Jun; 191(2):785-794
- The Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte invasion ligand Pfrh4 as a target of functional and protective human antibodies against malaria.
Reiling L, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Wilson DW, Chokejindachai W, Barry AE, Tham WH, Stubbs J, Langer C, Donelson J, Michon P, Tavul L, Crabb BS, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
PLoS One. 2012 Sep; 7(9):e45253
- New insights into acquisition, boosting and longevity of immunity to malaria in pregnant women.
Fowkes FJ, McGready R, Cross NJ, Hommel M, Simpson JA, Elliott SR, Richards JS, Lackovic K, Viladpai-Nguen J, Narum D, Tsuboi T, Anders RF, Nosten F, Beeson JG
J Infect Dis. 2012 Sep; 206(10):1612-1621
- Murray Valley encephalitis: a review of clinical features, diagnosis and treatment.
Knox J, Cowan RU, Doyle JS, Ligtermoet MK, Archer JS, Burrow JN, Tong SY, Currie BJ, Mackenzie JS, Smith DW, Catton M, Moran RJ, Aboltins CA, Richards JS
Med J Aust. 2012 Mar; 196(5):322-326
- A phase 1 trial of MSP2-C1, a blood-stage malaria vaccine containing 2 isoforms of MSP2 formulated with Montanide(R) ISA 720.
McCarthy JS, Marjason J, Elliott S, Fahey P, Bang G, Malkin E, Tierney E, Aked-Hurditch H, Adda C, Cross N, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Boyle MJ, Long C, Druilhe P, Beeson JG, Anders RF
PLoS One. 2011 Sep; 6(9):e24413
- IgG against Plasmodium falciparum variant surface antigens and growth inhibitory antibodies in Mozambican children receiving intermittent preventive treatment with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine.
Diana Quelhas, Alfons Jimenez, Llorenc Quinto, Elisa Serra-Casas, Alfredo Mayor, Pau Cistero, Laura Puyol, Danny W Wilson, Jack S Richards, Tacilta Nhampossa, Eusebio Macete, Pedro Aide, Inacio Mandomando, Sergi Sanz, John J Aponte, Pedro L Alonso, James G Beeson, Clara Menendez, Carlota Dobano
Immunobiology. 2011 Jul; 216(7):793-802
- Intermittent preventive treatment to reduce the burden of malaria in children: new evidence on integration and delivery.
Beeson JG, Rogerson SJ, Mueller I, Richards JS, Fowkes FJI
PLoS Med. 2011 Feb; 8(2):e1000410
- Evidence that the erythrocyte invasion ligand PfRh2 is a target of protective immunity against Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Reiling L, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Barry AE, Triglia T, Chokejindachai W, Michon P, Tavul L, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2010 Nov; 185(10):6157-6167
- Association between naturally acquired antibodies to erythrocyte-binding antigens of Plasmodium falciparum and protection from malaria and high-density parasitemia.
Richards JS, Stanisic DI, Fowkes FJ, Tavul L, Dabod E, Thompson JK, Kumar S, Chitnis CE, Narum DL, Michon P, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Oct; 51(8):e50-e60
- Minimal association of common red blood cell polymorphisms with Plasmodium falciparum infection and uncomplicated malaria in Papua New Guinean school children.
Enmoore Lin, Livingstone Tavul, Pascal Michon, Jack S Richards, Elijah Dabod, James G Beeson, Christopher L King, Peter A Zimmerman, Ivo Mueller
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010 Oct; 83(4):828-833
- Isolation of viable Plasmodium falciparum merozoites to define erythrocyte invasion events and advance vaccine and drug development.
Michelle J Boyle, Danny W Wilson, Jack S Richards, David T Riglar, Kevin K A Tetteh, David J Conway, Stuart A Ralph, Jake Baum, James G Beeson
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Aug; 107(32):14378-14383
- Interactions with heparin-like molecules during erythrocyte invasion by Plasmodium falciparum merozoites.
Boyle MJ, Richards JS, Gilson PR, Chai W, Beeson JG
Blood. 2010 Jun; 115(22):4559-4568
- The relationship between anti-merozoite antibodies and incidence of Plasmodium falciparum malaria: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Freya J I Fowkes, Jack S Richards, Julie A Simpson, James G Beeson
PLoS Med. 2010 Jan; 7(1):e1000218
- Strain-specific duffy binding protein antibodies correlate with protection against infection with homologous compared to heterologous plasmodium vivax strains in Papua New Guinean children.
Jennifer L Cole-Tobian, Pascal Michon, Moses Biasor, Jack S Richards, James G Beeson, Ivo Mueller, Christopher L King
Infect Immun. 2009 Sep; 77(9):4009-4017
- The future for blood-stage vaccines against malaria.
Jack S Richards, James G Beeson
Immunol Cell Biol. 2009 Jul; 87(5):377-390
- Cellular tumor necrosis factor, gamma interferon, and interleukin-6 responses as correlates of immunity and risk of clinical Plasmodium falciparum malaria in children from Papua New Guinea.
Leanne J Robinson, Marthe C D'Ombrain, Danielle I Stanisic, Jack Taraika, Nicholas Bernard, Jack S Richards, James G Beeson, Livingstone Tavul, Pascal Michon, Ivo Mueller, Louis Schofield
Infect Immun. 2009 Jul; 77(7):3033-3043
- Immunoglobulin G subclass-specific responses against Plasmodium falciparum merozoite antigens are associated with control of parasitemia and protection from symptomatic illness.
Danielle I Stanisic, Jack S Richards, Fiona J McCallum, Pascal Michon, Christopher L King, Sonja Schoepflin, Paul R Gilson, Vincent J Murphy, Robin F Anders, Ivo Mueller, James G Beeson
Infect Immun. 2009 Mar; 77(3):1165-1174
- Acquisition of growth-inhibitory antibodies against blood-stage Plasmodium falciparum.
Fiona J McCallum, Kristina E M Persson, Cleopatra K Mugyenyi, Freya J I Fowkes, Julie A Simpson, Jack S Richards, Thomas N Williams, Kevin Marsh, James G Beeson
PLoS One. 2008 Oct; 3(10):e3571
- Chikungunya virus infection in travellers to Australia.
Douglas F Johnson, Julian D Druce, Scott Chapman, Ashwin Swaminathan, Josh Wolf, Jack S Richards, Tony Korman, Chris Birch, Michael J Richards
Med J Aust. 2008 Jan; 188(1):41-43