Professor Paul Dietze is one of Australia’s leading alcohol and other drug epidemiologists with a significant national, and emerging international profile. He is an NHMRC Senior Research Fellow and a past ARC Future Fellow and VicHealth Public Health Research Fellow. With over 20 years’ experience and an outstanding track record, his work has established internationally innovative surveillance systems and applied research designs that break new ground in the public health research into alcohol and other drug use and related harms in Australia.
He has produced over 160 journal articles, along with many other reports of significant impact, that have changed practice in the area of alcohol and other drugs in this country. During the course of his research career he has received over $20 million of research funding.
These grants provided funds to conduct or establish:
- an NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence into Injecting Drug Use
- a large cohort of people who inject drugs, allowing not only for trajectory analyses of drug using careers, but also service and intervention evaluation
- the first-ever case-crossover study of the risk factors for non-fatal heroin overdose
- a comprehensive system for monitoring non-fatal heroin overdose across the mainland states
- the first-ever study of the nature and extent of medication overdose across an Australian city
- the first randomised trial of intranasal naloxone for the reversal of heroin overdose
- the first study of the relationship between income inequality and alcohol related harm in Australia
- multi-level modelling of the relationships between alcohol outlets and young people’s drinking
- the first study of risky drinking amongst a large sample of elite athletes in the world.
Paul’s work has had major impact. Naloxone is now administered via the intranasal route in many parts of the USA as a result of our work in Victoria. He was a member of the ‘Guidelines Development Group on the management of opioid overdose’ for the World Health Organization, which met in Geneva in February 2014 with the guidelines released in late 2014.
He has been involved in the development and implementation of a variety of heroin overdose prevention initiatives including the Direct Response to Overdose (DROP) project and he is leading the evaluation of the first Australian bystander naloxone program being implemented in the ACT. He was a key member of the Expanding Naloxone Availability in the ACT Committee. He is a Chief Investigator on a trial of intranasal naloxone in the Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre that commenced in January 2012.
He also currently co-convene the Victorian Injecting Drug Harm Reduction Network with Penington Institute through which research findings on injecting drug use are disseminated to the alcohol and drug sector.
He has received numerous awards and prizes in recognition of his work.
Most significant publications:
- Dietze P, Horyniak D, Agius P, Munir V, Smit de V, Johnston J, et al. Effect of intubation for gamma-hydroxybutyric acid overdose on emergency department length of stay and hospital admission. Acad Emerg Med. 2014;21(11):1226-31.
- Dietze P, Jenkinson R, Aitken C, Stoove M, Jolley D, Hickman M, et al. The relationship between alcohol use and injecting drug use: impacts on health and social functioning. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013;128(1-2):111-15.
- Dietze P, Stoove M, Miller P, Kinner S, Bruno R, Alati R, et al. The self-reported personal well-being of a sample of Australian injecting drug users. Addiction. 2010;105(12):2141-8.
- Truong A, Jamieson L, Higgs P, Cogger S, Burns L, Dietze P. Oral Health-Related Quality of Life among an Australian sample of people who inject drugs. Journal Public Health Dent. in press - accepted 26/1/15.
- Strang J, Bird SM, Dietze P, Gerra G, McLellan AT. Take-home emergency naloxone to prevent deaths from heroin overdose. BMJ. 2014;349:g6580. Epub 2014/11/08.
- Dietze PM, Livingston M, Callinan S, Room R. The big night out: what happens on the most recent heavy drinking occasion among young Victorian risky drinkers? Drug Alcohol Rev. 2014;33(4):346-53.
- McCormack A, Aitken C, Cogger S, Burns L, Dietze P. Syringe stockpiling by people who inject drugs: an evaluation of current measures for needle and syringe program coverage. Am J Epidemiol. in press.
- Deputy Head, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
- 2005-2007: Program Leader, Epidemiology and Surveillance, Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre
- 2001-2004: Senior Research Fellow, School of Health and Social Development, Deakin University, Victoria, Australia
- 1995: PhD, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1989: BSc (Hons), Monash University, Australia
- 2013: Burnet Institute Fenner Award
- 2010: Burnet Institute Gust-McKenzie Medal
- 2006-2010: National Health & Medical Research Council Career Development Award
- 2001-2006: VicHealth Public Health Research Fellowship
- 2004: Premier’s Drug Prevention Council Travelling Scholarship
- 1999: Victoria Fellowship
- 1992-1993: Monash Graduate Scholarship
- 1991: Lionel Murphy Postgraduate Scholarship
- A prospective cohort study of ex-prisoners with a history of injecting drug use
The largest ever prospective study of ex-prisoners with a history of injecting drug use in Australia.
- Alcohol advertising on social media
This research project aims to explore young people’s opinions of alcohol advertising on social media to inform future alcohol-related advertising policies and health promotion initiatives
- Ambulance demand: random events or predictable patterns
This project will examine temporal patterns in ambulance demand from four years of data derived from paramedic assessment of patients. Describing and understanding these patterns will provide evidence to inform ambulance practice.
- Assessment of risk practices and infectious disease among drug users in Temeke District, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
This consultancy for Médecins du Monde - France accessed the results of a rapid assessment and response (RAR) of people who use drugs in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- CREIDU - Centre for Research Excellence into Injecting Drug Use
Improving the health of people who inject drugs through research that generates new evidence and informs public health policy and practice.
- Developing the capacity to model the impact of interventions that target high-risk drinking among young Australians
This study aims to examine very high risk drinking in a representative sample of young Victorians.
- Ecstasy and related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS)
EDRS aims to examine trends in the use of ecstasy and other drugs, such as methamphetamine, GHB, cocaine and ketamine among regular users.
- Exploring attitudes to drug use among East African migrants and refugees in Melbourne’s western suburbs
This project aims to explore engagement in alcohol and drug use among marginalised young African migrants in Melbourne’s Western suburbs.
- Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS)
The aim is to serve as a strategic early warning system, identifying emerging trends related to the use, price, purity and availability of illicit drugs such as heroin, methamphetamines, cocaine and cannabis.
- OST Surveillance Study
Ongoing surveillance of the diversion and injection of the medications used in opioid substitution treatment.
- PATH Cohort Study
A cohort study of the trajectories of prisoners with a history of injecting drug use after release from prison
- POINTED Study
POINTED will investigate some of the factors and correlates associated with alcohol-related violence in licensed venues and night0time entertainment precincts across five Australian cities.
- Smart phone Apps for alcohol health promotion
This pilot study aims to review and investigate the use of smart phone applications (apps) for alcohol-related health promotion.
- The Drug Policy Modelling Program (DPMP)
Aims to improve Australian drug policy by generating new evidence; translating that evidence into policy-relevant information; studying how policy actually gets made and evaluating policy processes.
- The Melbourne Injecting Cohort Study (MIX)
MIX is designed to establish a framework for understanding injecting drug use in the context of changing drug patterns among people who inject drugs.
- The oral health of people who inject drugs (PWID)
The project examines the predictors of dental care service utilisation and Oral Health-related Quality of Life in people who inject drugs.
- Treatment and Prevention (TAP) study
The TAP study will assess if treating people who inject drugs in Melbourne for their hepatitis C reduces transmission in the community and the prevalence of infection.
- Victorian Pharmaceutical Opioid Monitoring Project
A study examining pharmaceutical opioid use among people prescribed opioids for pain and people who inject drugs, aiming to inform policy responses in Australia.
- ‘The B-VAX Project’: Providing hepatitis B vaccinations through assertive outreach to people who inject drugs
Using an assertive outreach model, this project will provide vaccination against hepatitis B virus (HBV) to participants of current Burnet cohort studies who are susceptible to future infection.
- The introduction of CCTV and associated changes
in heroin purchase and injection settings in Footscray,
Scott N, Higgs P, Caulkins JP, Aitken C, Cogger S, Dietze P
J Exp Criminol. 2016 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Findings and lessons learnt from implementing Australia's first health service based take-home naloxone program.
Chronister KJ, Lintzeris N, Jackson A, Ivan M, Dietze P, Lenton S, Kearley J, van Beek I
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2016 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- An investigation of strategies used in alcohol brand marketing and alcohol-related health promotion on Facebook.
Lim MS, Hare JD, Carrotte ER, Dietze PM
Digital Health. 2016 Apr; 2:1-7
- Syringe Stockpiling by Persons Who Inject Drugs: An Evaluation of Current Measures for Needle and Syringe Program Coverage.
McCormack AR, Aitken CK, Burns LA, Cogger S, Dietze PM
Am J Epidemiol. 2016 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Intranasal naloxone soon to become part of evolving clinical practice around opioid overdose prevention.
Dietze, P, Cantwell K
Addiction. 2016 Apr; 111(4):584-586
- National survey data can be used to measure trends in population alcohol consumption in Australia.
Livingston M, Dietze P
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2016 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- How is methamphetamine typically purchased
and used in Melbourne, Australia? Reports from a
cohort of people who inject drugs.
Scott N, Caulkins JP, Dietze P
Addiction Research and Theory. 2016 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- Australia reschedules naloxone for opioid overdose.
Lenton SR, Dietze PM, Jauncey M
Med J Aust. 2016 Mar; 204(4):146-147
- Take-home naloxone programs and calls to emergency services.
Kirwan A, Curtis M, van Beek IA, Cantwell K, Dietze PM
Med J Aust. 2016 Mar; 204(4):143
- Heavy alcohol consumption among marginalised African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia: motivations for drinking, experiences of alcohol-related problems and strategies for managing drinking.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T
Ethn Health. 2016 Mar; 21(3):284-299
- The effects of extended public transport operating hours and venue lockout policies on drinking-related harms in Melbourne, Australia: Results from SimDrink, an agent-based simulation model.
Scott N, Hart A, Wilson J, Livingston M, Moore D, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2016 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Participatory development of MIDY (Mobile Intervention for Drinking in Young people).
Wright CJ, Dietze PM, Crockett B, Lim MS
BMC Public Health. 2016 Feb; 16(1):184
- Differences in polysubstance use patterns and drug-related outcomes between people who inject drugs receiving and not receiving opioid substitution therapies.
Betts KS, Chan G, McIlwraith F, Dietze P, Whittaker E, Burns L, Alati R
Addiction. 2016 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Public injecting and public amenity in an inner-city suburb of Melbourne, Australia.
Dwyer R, Power R, Denham G, Dietze P
J Subst Use. 2016 Feb; 21(2):162-169
- 'A Drink That Makes You Feel Happier, Relaxed and Loving': Young People's Perceptions of Alcohol Advertising on Facebook.
Weaver ER, Wright CJ, Dietze PM, Lim MS
Alcohol Alcohol. 2016 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- It stops with us: Peer responses increase availability of sterile injecting equipment.
Higgs P, Cogger S, Kelsall J, Gavin N, Elmore K, Francis P, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2016 Jan
- Temporal trends in falls cases seen by EMS in Melbourne: The effect of residence on time of day and day of week patterns
Cantwell K, Burgess S, Morgans A, Smith K, Livingston M, Dietze P
Injury. 2016 Jan; 47(1):266-271
- Influences on the drinking of heavier drinkers: Interactional realities in seeking to 'change drinking cultures'.
Room R, Callinan S, Dietze P.
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2016 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- One-year changes in methamphetamine use, dependence and remission in a community-recruited cohort.
Quinn B, Stoové MA, Dietze P
J Subst Use. 2016 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- From initiating injecting drug use to regular injecting: Retrospective survival analysis of injecting progression within a sample of people who inject drugs regularly.
O'Keefe D, Horyniak D, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Jan; 158:177-180
- Age-related differences in patterns of criminal activity among a large sample of polydrug injectors in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt. L, Agius P, Higgs P, Bruno R, Alati R, Burns L
J Subst Abuse. 2016 Jan; 22(1):48-56
- Mortality in the Melbourne injecting drug user cohort study (MIX).
Nambiar D, Agius PA, Stoové M, Hickman M, Dietze P
Harm Reduct J. 2015 Dec; 12(1):55
- Patterns of, and Factors Associated With, Illicit Pharmaceutical Opioid Analgesic Use in a Prospective Cohort of People Who Inject Drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Agius PA, Degenhardt L, Reddel S, Higgs P, Aitken C, Stoové M, Dietze P
Subst Use Misuse. 2015 Nov; 50(13):1650-1659
- Going tobacco free in Australian prisons – increasing tattooing harm?
Treloar C, Baldry E, Higgs P, Dietze P, Stoové M, Lloyd A
Int J Prisoner Health. 2015 Nov; 11(4):Viewpoint
- Correlates of property crime in a cohort of recently released prisoners with a history of injecting drug use.
Kirwan A, Quinn B, Winter R, Kinner SA, Dietze P, Stoové M
Harm Reduct J. 2015 Aug; 12(1):23
- Cessation of injecting drug use: The effects of health service utilisation, drug use and demographic factors.
Nambiar D, Agius PA, Stoové M, Hickman M, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Jun; 154:208-213
- Can differences in the type, nature or amount of polysubstance use explain the increased risk of non-fatal overdose among psychologically distressed people who inject drugs?
Betts KS, McIlwraith F, Dietze P, Whittaker E, Burns L, Cogger S, Alati R
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Jun; 154:76-84
- The potential reach of opioid substitution settings to deliver HCV care to people who inject drugs in Australia.
Butler K, Day C, Dietze P, Bruno R, Alati R, Burns L
J Subst Abuse Treat. 2015 Jun; 58:90-94
- Alcohol Price Policies as an Instrument of Health Equity: Differential Effects of Tax and Minimum Price Measures.
Callinan S, Room R, Dietze P
Alcohol Alcohol. 2015 Jun; 50(6):629-30
- Temporal trends in cardiovascular demand in EMS: Weekday versus weekend differences.
Cantwell K, Morgans A, Smith K, Livingston M, Dietze P
Chronobiol Int. 2015 Jun; 32(6):731-738
- How patterns of injecting drug use evolve in a cohort of people who inject drugs.
Scott N, Caulkins JP, Ritter A, Dietze P
Trend Issues Crime Crim Justice. 2015 Jun; 502:1-20
- The introduction of buprenorphine-naloxone film in opioid substitution therapy in Australia: Uptake and issues arising from changing buprenorphine formulations.
Larance B, Dietze P, Ali R, Lintzeris N, White N, Jenkinson R, Degenhardt L
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2015 May; 34(6):603-610
- Understanding and describing Australian illicit drug markets: Drug price variations and associated changes in a cohort of people who inject drugs.
Scott N, Caulkins JP, Dietze P, Ritter A
National Drug Law Enforcement Research Fund. 2015 May; Monograph 58
- Patterns of drug preference and use among people who inject drugs
in Melbourne, Australia
Scott N, Caulkins JP, Ritter A, Dietze P
Addict Res Theory. 2015 Apr; 23(6):459-468
- Multiply disadvantaged: Health and service utilisation factors faced by homeless injecting drug consumers in Australia.
Whittaker E, Swift W, Roxburgh A, Dietze P, Cogger S, Bruno R, Sindicich N, Burns
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2015 Mar; 34(4):379-387
- Oral health-related quality of life among an Australian sample of people who inject drugs.
Truong A, Higgs P, Cogger S, Jamieson L, Burns L, Dietze P
J Public Health Dent. 2015 Mar; 75(3):218-24
- Time of Day and Day of Week Trends in EMS Demand.
Cantwell K, Morgans A, Smith K, Livingston M, Spelman T, Dietze P
Prehosp Emerg Care. 2015 Feb; 19(3):425-431
- 'Ice epidemic'? Trends in methamphetamine use from three Victorian surveillance systems.
Lim MS, Cogger S, Quinn B, Hellard ME, Dietze PM
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2015 Jan; 39(2):194-195
- High-Frequency Drug Purity and Price Series as Tools for Explaining Drug Trends and Harms in Victoria, Australia.
Scott N, Caulkins JP, Ritter A, Quinn C, Dietze P
Addiction. 2015 Jan; 110(1):120-128
- Mortality and cause of death in a cohort of people who had ever injected drugs in Glasgow: 1982-2012.
Nambiar D, Weir A, Aspinall EJ, Stoové M, Hutchinson S, Dietze P, Waugh L, Goldberg DJ
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Jan; 147:215-221
- Working together: Expanding the availability of naloxone for peer administration to prevent opioid overdose deaths in the Australian Capital Territory and beyond.
Lenton S, Dietze P, Olsen A, Wiggins N, McDonald D, Fowlie C
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2015 Jan; 34(4):404-411
- How do drug market changes affect characteristics of injecting initiation and subsequent patterns of drug use? Findings from a cohort of regular heroin and methamphetamine injectors in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Stoové M, Degenhardt L, Aitken C, Kerr T, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Jan; 26(1):43-50
- Young risk takers: Alcohol, illicit drugs, and sexual practices among a sample of music festival attendees.
Jenkinson R, Bowring A, Dietze P, Hellard M, Lim MSC
J Sex Trans Dis. 2014 Dec; 2014:e357239
- Take-home emergency naloxone to prevent deaths from heroin overdose.
Strang J, Bird SM, Dietze P, Gerra G, McLellan AT
BMJ. 2014 Nov; 349:g6580
- Effect of Intubation for Gamma-hydroxybutyric Acid Overdose on Emergency Department Length of Stay and Hospital Admission.
Dietze P, Horyniak D, Agius P, Munir V, Smit DV, Johnston J, Fry CL, Degenhardt L
Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Nov; 21(11):1226-1231
- Further research required to determine unique factors associated with dental care access among deprived populations.
Truong A, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P
Public Health. 2014 Nov; 128(12):1131-1133
- Experiences of and Attitudes Toward Injecting Drug Use Among Marginalized African Migrant and Refugee Youth in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T, Seid G
J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2014 Oct; 13(4):405-429
- Driving under the influence among frequent ecstasy consumers in Australia: Trends over time and the role of risk perceptions.
Matthews AJ, Bruno R, Dietze P, Butler K, Burns L
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Oct; 144:218-224
- A cross-sectional study describing factors associated with utilisation of GP services by a cohort of people who inject drugs.
Nambiar D, Stoové M, Dietze P
BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Jul; 14:308
- Understanding alcohol and other drug use during the event.
Kuntsche E, Dietze P, Jenkinson R
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2014 Jul; 33(4):335-337
- Victorian Trends in Ecstasy and Related Drug Markets 2012. Findings from the Ecstasy and related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS).
Papanastasiou C, Dietze P, Lloyd B
Australian Drug Trends Series No. 121. Sydney: NDARC, UNSW Australia. 2014 Jul
- Victorian Drug Trends 2013. Findings from the Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS).
Cogger S, Dietze P, Lloyd B
Australian Drug Trends Series No. 112. Sydney: NDARC, UNSW Australia. 2014 Jul
- 'Weekend on the town': Discrete sessions of drug use for a sample of young psychostimulant users.
Jenkinson R, Jolley D, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2014 Jun; 33(4):428-435
- Are users' most recent drug purchases representative?
Bond B, Caulkins JP, Scott N, Kilmer B, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Jun; 142:133-138
- Heavy drinking occasions in Australia: Do context and beverage choice differ from low-risk drinking occasions?
Callinan S, Livingston M, Dietze P, Room R
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2014 Mar; 33(4):354-357
- The big night out: What happens on the most recent heavy drinking occasion among young Victorian risky drinkers?
Dietze PM, Livingston M, Callinan S, Room R
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2014 Mar; 33(4):346-353
- Improving the coding and classification of ambulance data through the application of International Classification of Disease 10th revision.
Cantwell K, Morgans A, Smith K, Livingston M, Dietze P
Aust Health Rev. 2014 Feb; 38(1):70-79
- Prevalence and associations of quetiapine fumarate misuse among an Australian national city sample of people who regularly inject drugs
Reddel SE, Bruno R, Burns L, Kirwan A, Lokuge K, Dietze P
Addiction. 2014 Feb; 109(2):295-302
- The diversion and injection of a buprenorphine-naloxone soluble film formulation.
Larance B, Lintzeris N, Ali R, Dietze P, Mattick R, Jenkinson R, White N, Degenhardt L
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Jan; 136:21-27
- Substance misuse, mental health problems and recurrent child maltreatment.
Laslett AM, Room R, Dietze P
Adv Dual Diag. 2014 Jan; 7(1):15-23
- Self-reported recent testing and diagnosis for sexually transmitted infections among regular ecstasy users in Australia, 2011-2012.
Nguyen PL, Bruno R, Alati R, Lenton S, Burns L, Dietze PM
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2014 Jan; 33:211-214
- Pattern and characteristics of ecstasy and related drug (ERD) presentations at two hospital emergency departments, Melbourne, Australia, 2008-2010.
Horyniak D, Degenhardt L, Smit DV, Munir V, Johnston J, Fry C, Dietze P
Emerg Med J. 2014 Jan; 31(4):317-322
- Alcohol Consumption and Liver Disease in Australia: A Time Series Analysis of the Period 1935-2006.
Jiang H, Livingston M, Room R, Dietze P, Norström T, Kerr WC
Alcohol Alcohol. 2014 Jan; 49(3):363-368
- Does free recall moderate the effect of mental context reinstatement instructions on children's cued recall?
Dietze PM, Sharman, SJ, Powell MB, Thomson DM
Psychol Crime Law. 2013 Nov; 19(10):881-891
- Who suggests drinking less? Demographic and national differences in informal social controls on drinking.
Dietze P, Ferris J, Room R
J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2013 Nov; 74(6):859-866
- An exploration of self-perceived non-problematic use as a barrier to professional support for methamphetamine users.
Quinn B, Stoové M, Papanastasiou C, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2013 Jul; 24(6):619-23
- Commentary on Kerr et al. (2013): Advertising high-potency heroin.
Addiction. 2013 Jul; 108(7):1277-1278
- Victorian Drug Trends 2012. Findings from the Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS).
Cogger S, Dietze P, Lloyd B
Australian Drug Trends Series No. 94. Sydney: NDARC, UNSW Australia.. 2013 Jul
- Ecstasy and related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS) - Victorian Trends in Ecstasy and Related Drug Markets 2012.
Nguyen P, Dietze P, Lloyd B
Australian Drug Trends Series No. 103. Sydney: NDARC, UNSW Australia.. 2013 Jul
- Establishing the Melbourne injecting drug user cohort study (MIX): rationale, methods, and baseline and twelve-month follow-up results.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Jenkinson R, Degenhardt L, Stoové M, Kerr T, Hickman M, Aitken C, Dietze P
Harm Reduct J. 2013 Jun; 10(1):11
- The relationship between age and risky injecting behaviours among a sample of Australian people who inject drugs.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt L, Higgs P, McIlwraith F, Alati R, Bruno R, Lenton S, Burns L
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 May; 132(3):541-6
- Epidemiology: Analysing patterns of drug use and harms.
Dietze P, Stoove M, Laslett AM
Book Chapter in "Drug Use in Australian Society" Ritter A, King T, Hamilton M (Eds). 2013 May; Chapter 4:67-98
- Comparing short versions of the AUDIT in a community-based survey of young people.
Bowring AL, Gouillou M, Hellard M, Dietze P
BMC Public Health. 2013 Apr; 13(1):301
- Factors associated with professional support access among a prospective cohort of methamphetamine users.
Quinn B, Stoové M, Dietze P
J Subst Abuse Treat. 2013 Mar; 45(2):235-241
- Surveying alcohol and other drug use through telephone sampling: a comparison of landline and mobile phone samples.
Livingston M, Dietze P, Ferris J, Pennay D, Hayes L, Lenton S
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2013 Mar; 13(1):41
- The relationship between alcohol use and injecting drug use: Impacts on health, crime and wellbeing.
Dietze P, Jenkinson R, Aitken C, Stoové M, Jolley D, Hickman M, Kerr T
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 Feb; 128(1-2):111-115
- The place of volition in addiction: Differing approaches and their implications for policy and service provision.
Karasaki M, Fraser S, Moore D, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2013 Feb; 32(2):195-204
- The social location of heavy episodic alcohol consumption in the Victorian population.
Matthews S, Dietze P, Room R, Chikritzhs T, Jolley D
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2013 Feb; 32(2):157-61
- Concordance between self-reported and actual hepatitis C virus infection status in a cohort of people who inject drugs.
O'Keefe D, Aitken C, Higgs P, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2013 Feb; 32(2):208-210
- “Let’s Get Wasted!” and Other Apps: Characteristics, Acceptability, and Use of Alcohol-Related Smartphone Applications
Weaver ER, Horyniak DR Jenkinson R, Dietze P, Lim MSC
JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2013 Feb; 1(1):E9
- A response to: Self-reported and actual hepatitis C virus infection status.
O'Keefe D, Aitken C, Higgs P, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2013 Jan; 32(1):107
- Methamphetamine use in Melbourne, Australia: baseline characteristics of a prospective methamphetamine-using cohort and correlates of methamphetamine dependence.
Quinn B, Stoové M, Papanastasiou C, Dietze P
J Subst Use. 2013 Jan; 18(5):349-362
- Ambulance demand: random events or predicable patterns?
Cantwell K, Dietze P, Morgans AE, Smith K
Emerg Med J. 2013 Jan; 30(11):883-887
- A cross-sectional study of emergency department visits by people who inject drugs.
Aitken C, Kerr T, Hickman M, Stoové M, Higgs P, Dietze P
Emerg Med J. 2013 Jan; 30(5):421-422
- Hepatitis B virus exposure and vaccination in a cohort of people who inject drugs: What has been the impact of targeted free vaccination?
Winter RJ, Dietze PM, Gouillou M, Hellard ME, Robinson P, Aitken CK
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013 Jan; 28(2):314-322
- An urgent need to scale-up injecting drug harm reduction services in Tanzania: Prevalence of blood-borne viruses among drug users in Temeke District, Dar-es-Salaam, 2011.
Bowring AL, Luhmann N, Pont S, Debaulieu C, Derozier S, Asouab F, Toufik A, van Gemert C, Dietze P, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2013 Jan; 24(1):78-81
- Injecting drug use and related health behaviours in a small case series of East African migrants in Melbourne.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Degenhardt L, Cogger S, Power R, Dietze P
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2012 Dec; 36(6):586-587
- Prevalence and correlates of alcohol dependence in adult prisoners vary according to Indigenous status
Kinner SA, Dietze P, Gouillou M, Alati R
Aust NZ J Pub Health. 2012 Oct; 36(4):329-334
- Patients who attend the emergency department following medication overdose: Self-reported mental health history and intended outcomes of overdose.
Buykx P, Ritter A, Loxley W, Dietze P
Int J Mental Health Addict. 2012 Aug; 10(4): 501-511
- The use of alprazolam by people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Reddel S, Quinn B, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Jun; 31(4):585-590
- The impact of khat use on East African communities in Melbourne: A preliminary investigation.
Feigin A, Higgs P, Hellard M, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 May; 31(3):288-293
- Alcohol's involvement in recurrent child abuse and neglect cases.
Laslett AM, Room R, Dietze P, Ferris J.
Addiction. 2012 Apr; 107(10):1786-1793
- Mobile safe injecting facilities in Barcelona and Berlin.
Dietze P, Winter R, Pedrana A, Leicht A, MajÃ³ I Roca X, Brugal MT.
Int J Drug Policy. 2012 Mar; 23(4):257-260
- Are drug detection dogs and mass-media campaigns likely to be effective policy responses to psychostimulant use and related harm? Results from an agent-based simulation model.
Dray A, Perez P, Moore D, Dietze P, Bammer G, Jenkinson R, Siokou C, Green R, Hudson SL, Maher L
Int J Drug Policy . 2012 Mar; 23(2):148-53.
- Know your limits: Awareness of the 2009 Australian alcohol guidelines among young people.
Bowring AL, Gold J, Dietze P, Gouillou M, Van Gemert C, Hellard ME
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Mar; 31(2):213-223
- Social demography of alcohol-related harm to children in Australia.
Laslett AM, Ferris J, Dietze P, Room R
Addiction. 2012 Jan; 107(6):1082-1089
- SimAmph: an agent-based simulation model for exploring the use of psychostimulants and related harm amongst young Australians.
Perez P, Dray A, Moore D, Dietze P, Bammer G, Jenkinson R, Siokou C, Green R, Hudson SL, Maher L
Int J Drug Policy. 2012 Jan; 23(1):62-71
- Examination of the effect of mental reinstatement of context across developmental level, retention interval and type of mnemonic instruction
Dietze PM, Powell MB, Thomson, DM
Psychiat Psychol Law. 2012 Jan; 19(1):89-103
- Post-marketing surveillance of buprenorphine-naloxone in Australia: diversion, injection and adherence with supervised dosing.
Larance B, Degenhardt L, Lintzeris N, Bell J, Winstock A, Dietze P, Mattick R, Ali R, Horyniak D
Drug Alcohol Dependence:. 2011 Nov; 118(2-3):265-273
- Heroin and other opioids
Dietze P, Degenhardt L, Kinner S, Hellard M, King T
Prevention Research Quarterly. 2011 Sep; 16:1-12
- Alcohol-related negative consequences among drinkers around the world.
Graham K, Bernards S, Knibbe R, Kairouz S, Kuntche S, Wilsnack SC, Greenfield TK, Dietze P, Obot I, Gmel G
Addiction. 2011 Aug; 106(8):1391-1405
- The Australian national binge drinking campaign: campaign recognition among young people at a music festival who report risky drinking.
van Gemert C, Dietze P, Gold J, Sacks-Davis R, StoovÃ© M, Vally H, Hellard M
BMC Public Health. 2011 Jun; 11:482
- The prevalence and correlates of buprenorphine inhalation amongst opioid substitution treatment (OST) clients in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Larance B, Winstock A, Degenhardt L
Int J Drug Policy. 2011 Mar; 22(2):167-171
- The adverse consequences of drinking in a sample of Australian adults.
Dietze P, Room R, Jolley D, Matthews S, Chikritzhs T
J Substance Use. 2011 Feb; 16(2):116-126
- The self-reported personal wellbeing of a sample of Australian injecting drug users.
Dietze P, StoovÃ© M, Miller P, Kinner S, Bruno R, Alati R, Burns L
Addiction. 2010 Dec; 105(12):2141-2148
- Medications used in overdose and how they are acquired - an investigation of cases attending an inner Melbourne emergency department.
Buykx P, Loxley W, Dietze P, Ritter A
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2010 Aug; 34(4):401-404
- The relationship between alcohol supply source and young people's risky drinking and alcohol-related problem behaviours in Victoria, Australia.
Dietze PM, Livingston M
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2010 Aug; 34(4):364-367
- Characteristics of medication overdose presentations to the ED: how do they differ from illicit drug overdose and self-harm cases?
Buykx P, Dietze P, Ritter A, Loxley W
Emerg Med J. 2010 Jul; 27(7):499-503
- Further research required to determine link between khat consumption and driver impairment.
Feigin A, Higgs P, Hellard M, Dietze P
Bull World Health Organ. 2010 Jun; 88(6):480
- The effects of cannabis and alcohol on simulated arterial driving: Influences of driving experience and task demand.
Lenné MG, Dietze PM, Triggs TJ, Walmsley S, Murphy B, Redman JR
Accid Anal Prev. 2010 May; 42(3):859-866
- Mental reinstatement of context with child witnesses: does it matter whether context is reinstated 'out loud'?
Dietze PM, Powell MB, Thomson DM
Psychology Crime and Law. 2010 Jan; 16:439-448
- An evaluation of a heroin overdose prevention and education campaign.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Lewis J, Winter R, Dietze P, Aitken C
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2010 Jan; 29(1):5-11
- The characteristics of acute non-fatal medication-related events attended by ambulance services in the Melbourne Metropolitan Area 1998-2002.
Hutton J, Dent A, Buykx P, Burgess S, Flander L, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2010 Jan; 29(1):53-58
- Extending drug ethno-epidemiology using agent-based modelling.
David Moore, Anne Dray, Rachael Green, Susan L Hudson, Rebecca Jenkinson, Christine Siokou, Pascal Perez, Gabriele Bammer, Lisa Maher, Paul Dietze
Addiction. 2009 Dec; 104(12):1991-1997
- Randomized controlled trial comparing the effectiveness and safety of intranasal and intramuscular naloxone for the treatment of suspected heroin overdose.
Kerr D, Kelly AM, Dietze P, Jolley D, Barger B
Addiction. 2009 Dec; 104(12):2067-2074
- Now is the time to take steps to allow peer access to naloxone for heroin overdose in Australia.
Lenton SR, Dietze PM, Degenhardt L, Darke S, Butler TG
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2009 Nov; 28(6):583-585
- Naloxone for administration by peers in cases of heroin overdose.
Lenton SR, Dietze PM, Degenhardt L, Darke S, Butler TG
Med J Aust. 2009 Oct; 191(8):469
- Overdose deaths following previous non-fatal heroin overdose: record linkage of ambulance attendance and death registry data.
Stoové MA, Dietze PM, Jolley D
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2009 Jul; 28(4):347-352
- Improved response by peers after witnessed heroin overdose in Melbourne.
Kerr D, Dietze P, Kelly AM, Jolley D.
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2009 May; 28(3):327-330
- The "alcopops" tax: heading in the right direction.
Chikritzhs TN, Dietze PM, Allsop SJ, Daube MM, Hall WD, Kypri K
Med J Aust. 2009 Mar; 190(6):294-295
- Income inequality and alcohol attributable harm in Australia.
Dietze PM, Jolley DJ, Chikritzhs TN, Clemens S, Catalano P, Stockwell T
BMC Public Health. 2009 Feb; 9:70
- Individual and community correlates of young people's high-risk drinking in Victoria, Australia.
Livingston M, Laslett AM, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008 Dec; 98(3):241-248
- Methadone- and buprenorphine-related ambulance attendances: a population-based indicator of adverse events.
Nielsen S, Dietze P, Cantwell K, Lee N, Taylor D
J Subst Abuse Treat. 2008 Dec; 35(4):457-461
- Drinking by professional Australian Football League (AFL) players: prevalence and correlates of risk.
Dietze PM, Fitzgerald JL, Jenkinson RA
Med J Aust. 2008 Nov; 189(9):479-483
- The oral health of street-recruited injecting drug users: prevalence and correlates of problems.
Laslett AM, Dietze P, Dwyer R
Addiction. 2008 Nov; 103(11):1821-1825
- Mortality among injecting drug users in Melbourne: a 16-year follow-up of the Victorian Injecting Cohort Study (VICS).
StoovÃ© MA, Dietze PM, Aitken CK, Jolley D
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008 Aug; 96(3):281-285
- What more can we learn from the heroin drought?
Int J Drug Policy. 2008 Aug; 19(4):270-272
- Patterns and incidence of gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB)-related ambulance attendances in Melbourne, Victoria.
Dietze PM, Cvetkovski S, Barratt MJ, Clemens S
Med J Aust. 2008 Jun; 188(12):709-711
- Attitudes of Australian heroin users to peer distribution of naloxone for heroin overdose: perspectives on intranasal administration.
Kerr D, Dietze P, Kelly AM, Jolley D
J Urban Health. 2008 May; 85(3):352-360
- Intranasal naloxone for the treatment of suspected heroin overdose.
Kerr D, Dietze P, Kelly AM
Addiction. 2008 Mar; 103(3):379-386
- The incidence and characteristics of volatile substance use related ambulance attendances in metropolitan Melbourne, Australia.
Stefan Cvetkovski, Paul Dietze
Soc Sci Med. 2008 Feb; 66(3):776-783
- Contemporary cocaine use patterns and associated harms in Melbourne and Sydney, Australia.
James Shearer, Jennifer Johnston, Craig L Fry, Sharlene Kaye, Paul Dillon, Paul Dietze, Linette Collins
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2007 Sep; 26(5):537-543
- Dynamic compartmental model of trends in Australian drug use.
Jonathan P Caulkins, Paul Dietze, Alison Ritter
Health Care Manag Sci. 2007 Jun; 10(2):151-162
- Concurrent buprenorphine and benzodiazepines use and self-reported opioid toxicity in opioid substitution treatment.
Suzanne Nielsen, Paul Dietze, Nicole Lee, Adrian Dunlop, David Taylor
Addiction. 2007 Apr; 102(4):616-622
- Buprenorphine supply by community pharmacists in Victoria, Australia: perceptions, experiences and key issues identified.
Suzanne Nielsen, Paul Dietze, Adrian Dunlop, Peter Muhleisen, Nicole Lee, David Taylor
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2007 Mar; 26(2):143-151
- Effects of a sustained heroin shortage in three Australian States.
Louisa Degenhardt, Carolyn Day, Paul Dietze, Sophie Pointer, Elizabeth Conroy, Linette Collins, Wayne Hall
Addiction. 2005 Jul; 100(7):908-920
- The relationship between naloxone dose and key patient variables in the treatment of non-fatal heroin overdose in the prehospital setting.
Kate Cantwell, Paul Dietze, Louisa Flander
Resuscitation. 2005 Jun; 65(3):315-319
- Transient changes in behaviour lead to heroin overdose: results from a case-crossover study of non-fatal overdose.
Paul Dietze, Damien Jolley, Craig Fry, Gabriele Bammer
Addiction. 2005 May; 100(5):636-642
- Enabling environments and the reduction of drug-related harm: re-framing Australian policy and practice.
David Moore, Paul Dietze
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2005 May; 24(3):275-284
- Initiation to heroin injecting among heroin users in Sydney, Australia: cross sectional survey.
Carolyn A Day, Joanne Ross, Paul Dietze, Kate Dolan
Harm Reduct J. 2005 Feb; 2(1):2
- Randomised trial of intranasal versus intramuscular naloxone in prehospital treatment for suspected opioid overdose.
Anne-Maree Kelly, Debra Kerr, Paul Dietze, Ian Patrick, Tony Walker, Zeff Koutsogiannis
Med J Aust. 2005 Jan; 182(1):24-27
- The effects of the opioid pharmacotherapies methadone, LAAM and buprenorphine, alone and in combination with alcohol, on simulated driving.
Michael G Lenne, Paul Dietze, Greg R Rumbold, Jennifer R Redman, Thomas J Triggs
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2003 Dec; 72(3):271-278
- Intentional overdose among heroin overdose survivors.
Penny Heale, Paul Dietze, Craig Fry
J Urban Health. 2003 Jun; 80(2):230-237
- Patterns and characteristics of ambulance attendance at heroin overdose at a local-area level in Melbourne, Australia: implications for service provision.
Paul Dietze, Damien Jolley, Stefan Cvetkovski
J Urban Health. 2003 Jun; 80(2):248-260
- Interpreting changes in heroin supply in Melbourne: droughts, gluts or cycles?
Paul Dietze, John Fitzgerald
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2002 Sep; 21(3):295-303
- Bystander resuscitation attempts at heroin overdose: does it improve outcomes?
Paul Dietze, Kate Cantwell, Stephen Burgess
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2002 Jul; 67(2):213-218
- Using ambulance attendances to recruit people who have experienced non-fatal heroin overdose.
Paul Dietze, Craig Fry, Sandra Sunjic, Gabriele Bammer, Deborah Zador, Damien Jolley, Greg Rumbold
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2002 Jun; 67(1):99-103
- Estimated alcohol-caused deaths in Australia, 1990-97.
Penny Heale, Tanya Chikritzhs, Helen Jonas, Timothy Stockwell, Paul Dietze
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2002 Jun; 21(2):121-129
- How much alcohol is drunk in Australia in excess of the new Australian alcohol guidelines?
Tim R Stockwell, Penny Heale, Tanya N Chikritzhs, Paul Dietze, Paul Catalano
Med J Aust. 2002 Jan; 176(2):91-92