An ARC and NHMRC research fellow, and a public health physician, Professor Beeson completed his medical degree at Monash University in 1992.
Based at The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, with field work at the Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital and Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Program, Malawi his thesis titled ‘Mechanisms of placental infection by Plasmodium falciparum,’ commenced in February 1997 and passed in January 2001 through the University of Melbourne.
Following postgraduate specialty training as a public health physician in 2001, he headed a research group at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute from 2004-2010. In January 2011 he joined the Burnet Institute.
Professor Beeson has worked in malaria research in Africa and Asia for 15 years, including Malawi, Kenya, Papua New Guinea and Thailand.
His research group primarily focuses on understanding how malaria causes disease in people and how immunity to malaria develops, and on the development of interventions to reduce malaria, such as vaccines or public health programs. Their research currently involves clinical and population studies in Papua New Guinea, Africa and Asia.
With a particular interest in the affects of malaria in pregnancy, and maternal health more broadly, Professor Beeson completed his PhD thesis on malaria in pregnancy, which included studies in Malawi, Central Africa.
This work has highlighted the challenge of improving maternal health in resource-poor countries with a high burden of disease, emphasising the need for programs and interventions that address multiple causes of poor maternal health rather than specific diseases in isolation.
- 2013: Co-Head, Centre for Biomedical Research, Burnet Institute
- 2012: Adjunct Professor to the Department of Microbiology, Monash University
- 2011: Head, Centre for Immunology, Burnet Institute
- 2011: Principal, Maternal and Child Health, Burnet Institute
- 2011: Head, Beeson Laboratory, Burnet Institute
- 2001: PhD, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1992: MB BS (Hon) Monash University, Australia
- 1990: B.Med.Sc. (Hon) Monash University, Australia
- 2001: Fellow of the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, (Public Health Physician)
- 1998-2001: Advanced Fellowship Training Program. Admitted as a Fellow of the Faculty, April 2001.
- 1992: Registered Medical Practitioner, Medical Practitioners Board of Victoria
- Member of the Australasian Society of Infectious Diseases
- Member of the Australian Society for Parasitology
- Member of the American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- 2007: Cosmos Science Magazine Bright Sparks Award (A listing of 10 leading Australian researchers under 40)
- 2006: Burnet Prize, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
- 2002: Chancellors Prize for most outstanding PhD thesis, University of Melbourne,
- 2001: Premier’s Award for Medical Research, State Government of Victoria, Australia
- Clinical Studies on malaria
The focus is to understand the negative consequences of malaria and how they can be prevented malaria in children and pregnant women.
- Functional anitbody responses to malaria vaccine candidates
Understanding how functional immunity develops to potential malaria vaccine candidates.
- Immunity to malaria in humans
To identify the key targets of immunity, understand the mechanisms mediating immunity, and determine how immunity is acquired and maintained.
- Mechanisms of infection of red blood cells
During blood-stage replication of Plasmodium, the merozoite form of the parasite (the form of the malaria parasite that invades red blood cells) infects red blood cells and develops and replicates inside them.
- New treatments for malaria
In response to the need for new anti-malarial drugs to combat drug resistance, identifying and developing novel compounds that inhibit replication of Plasmodium parasites is required.Full details to follow
- Vaccines against malaria
This involves identifying and prioritising candidate antigens for vaccine development.
- Immunodampening to overcome diversity in the malarial vaccine candidate apical membrane antigen 1.
Harris KS, Adda CG, Khore M, Drew DR, Valentini-Gatt A, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG, Dutta S, Anders RF, Foley M
Infect Immun. 2014 Aug; Epub ahead of print
- A critical evaluation of pyrrolo[2,3-d]pyrimidine-4-amines as Plasmodium falciparum apical membrane antigen 1 (AMA1) inhibitors.
Devine SM, Lim SS, Chandrashekaran IR, MacRaild CA, Drew DR, Debono CO, Lam R, Anders RF, Beeson JG, Scanlon MJ, Scammellsa PJ, Norton RS
Med Chem Comm. 2014 Jul; Epub ahead of print
- PTEX is an essential nexus for protein export in malaria parasites.
Elsworth B, Matthews K, Nie CQ, Kalanon M, Charnaud SC, Sanders PR, Chisholm SA, Counihan NA, Shaw PJ, Pino P, Chan J-A, Azevedo MF, Rogerson SJ, Beeson JG, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, de Koning-Ward TF
Nature. 2014 Jul; Epub ahead of print
- Opsonic phagocytosis of Plasmodium falciparum merozoites: mechanism in human immunity and a correlate of protection against malaria.
Osier FH, Feng G, Boyle MJ, Langer C, Zhou J, Richards JS, McCallum FJ, Reiling L, Jaworowski A, Anders RF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2014 Jul; 12(1):108
- Decreasing malaria prevalence and its potential consequences for immunity in pregnant women.
Teo A, Hasang W, Randall LM, Feng G, Bell L, Unger H, Langer C, Beeson JG, Siba PM, Mueller I, Molyneux ME, Brown GV, Rogerson SJ.
J Infect Dis. 2014 May; Epub ahead of print
- Surface antigens of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes as immune targets and malaria vaccine candidates.
Chan JA, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
Cell Mol Life Sci. 2014 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Correlates of protection for Plasmodium falciparum malaria vaccine development: current knowledge and future research (Book Chapter)
Beeson JG, Fowkes FJI, Reiling L, Osier FH, Drew DR, Brown GV
Malaria Vaccine Development: Over 40 Years of Trials and Tribulations. 2014 Apr; Chapter 6:81-104
- Sequential processing of merozoite surface proteins during and after erythrocyte invasion by Plasmodium falciparum.
Boyle MJ, Langer C, Chan JA, Hodder AN, Coppel RL, Anders RF, Beeson JG
Infect Immun. 2014 Jan; 82(3):924-936
- Overcoming Antigenic Diversity by Enhancing the Immunogenicity of Conserved Epitopes on the Malaria Vaccine Candidate Apical Membrane Antigen-1.
Dutta S, Dlugosz LS, Drew DR, Ge X, Ababacar D, Rovira YI, Moch JK, Shi M, Long CA, Foley M, Beeson JG, Anders RF, Miura K, Haynes JD, Batchelor AH
PLoS Pathog. 2013 Dec; 9(12):e1003840
- Implications of the licensure of a partially efficacious malaria vaccine on evaluating second-generation vaccines.
Fowkes FJ, Simpson JA, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2013 Oct; 11:232
- Antibodies to Polymorphic Invasion-Inhibitory and Non-Inhibitory Epitopes of Plasmodium falciparum Apical Membrane Antigen 1 in Human Malaria.
Mugyenyi CK, Elliott SR, McCallum FJ, Anders RF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
PLoS One. 2013 Jul; 8(7):e68304
- Identification and prioritization of merozoite antigens as targets of protective human immunity to Plasmodium falciparum malaria for vaccine and biomarker development.
Richards JS, Arumugam TU, Reiling L, Healer J, Hodder AN, Fowkes FJ, Cross N, Langer C, Takeo S, Uboldi AD, Thompson JK, Gilson PR, Coppel RL, Siba PM, King CL, Torii M, Chitnis CE, Narum DL, Mueller I, Crabb BS, Cowman AF, Tsuboi T, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2013 Jun; 191(2):795-809
- Erythrocyte-Binding Antigens of Plasmodium falciparum Are Targets of Human Inhibitory Antibodies and Function To Evade Naturally Acquired Immunity.
Persson KE, Fowkes FJ, McCallum FJ, Gicheru N, Reiling L, Richards JS, Wilson DW, Lopaticki S, Cowman AF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2013 Jun; 191(2):785-794
- Acquired antibodies to merozoite antigens in children from Uganda with uncomplicated or severe Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Ahmed Ismail H, Ribacke U, Reiling L, Normark J, Egwang T, Kironde F, Beeson JG, Wahlgren M, Persson KE
Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013 Jun; 20(8):1170-1180
- T-Helper Cell 2-Driven Immunity in Pregnancy as a Determinant of Antiplasmodial Antibody Half-life Through Regulation of Fc-Receptor-Mediated Clearance - Reply
Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
J Infect Dis. 2013 May; 208(4):705-706
- Antibody boosting and longevity following tetanus immunization during pregnancy.
Fowkes FJ, McGready R, Johnstone-Robertson S, Nosten F, Beeson JG
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Mar; 56(5):749-750
- PfEMP1 as a target of human immunity and a vaccine candidate against malaria.
Beeson JG, Chan JA, Fowkes FJ
Expert Rev Vaccines. 2013 Feb; 12(2):105-108
- Does malaria affect placental development? Evidence from in vitro models.
Umbers AJ, Stanisic DI, Ome M, Wangnapi R, Hanieh S, Unger HW, Robinson LJ, Lufele E, Baiwog F, Siba PM, King CL, Beeson JG, Mueller I, Aplin JD, Glazier JD, Rogerson SJ
PLoS One. 2013 Jan; 8(1):e55269
- Defining the timing of action of anti-malarial drugs against Plasmodium falciparum.
Wilson DW, Langer C, Goodman CD, McFadden GI, Beeson JG
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Jan; 57(3):1455-1467
- New approaches to studying Plasmodium falciparum merozoite invasion and insights into invasion biology.
Boyle MJ, Wilson DW, Beeson JG
Int J Parasitol. 2013 Jan; 43(1):1-10
- Platelet factor 4 and Duffy antigen required for platelet killing of Plasmodium falciparum.
McMorran BJ, Wieczorski L, Drysdale KE, Chan JA, Huang HM, Smith C, Mitiku C, Beeson JG, Burgio G, Foote SJ
Science. 2012 Dec; 338(6112):1348-1351
- Defining the Antigenic Diversity of Plasmodium falciparum Apical Membrane Antigen 1 and the Requirements for a Multi-Allele Vaccine against Malaria.
Drew DR, Hodder AN, Wilson DW, Foley M, Mueller I, Siba PM, Dent AE, Cowman AF, Beeson JG
PLoS One. 2012 Dec; 7(12):e51023
- Malaria Parasite Signal Peptide Peptidase is an ER-Resident Protease Required for Growth but not for Invasion.
Marapana DS, Wilson DW, Zuccala ES, Dekiwadia CD, Beeson JG, Ralph SA, Baum J
Traffic. 2012 Nov; 13(11):1457-1465
- The Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte invasion ligand Pfrh4 as a target of functional and protective human antibodies against malaria.
Reiling L, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Wilson DW, Chokejindachai W, Barry AE, Tham WH, Stubbs J, Langer C, Donelson J, Michon P, Tavul L, Crabb BS, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
PLoS One. 2012 Sep; 7(9):e45253
- New insights into acquisition, boosting and longevity of immunity to malaria in pregnant women.
Fowkes FJ, McGready R, Cross NJ, Hommel M, Simpson JA, Elliott SR, Richards JS, Lackovic K, Viladpai-Nguen J, Narum D, Tsuboi T, Anders RF, Nosten F, Beeson JG
J Infect Dis. 2012 Sep; 206(10):1612-1621
- Antigenic Characterisation of an Intrinsically Unstructured Protein: Plasmodium falciparum Merozoite Surface Protein 2.
Adda CG, Macraild CA, Reiling L, Wycherley K, Boyle MJ, Kienzle V, Masendycz P, Foley M, Beeson JG, Norton RS, Anders RF
Infect Immun. 2012 Sep; 80(12):4177-4185
- Targets of antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes in malaria immunity.
Chan JA, Howell KB, Reiling L, Ataide R, Mackintosh CL, Fowkes FJ, Petter M, Chesson JM, Langer C, Warimwe GM, Duffy MF, Rogerson SJ, Bull PC, Cowman AF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
J Clin Invest. 2012 Sep; 122(9):3227-3238
- Perspectives: The missing pieces.
Crabb BS, Beeson JG, Amino R, MÃ©nard R, Waters A, Winzeler EA, Wahlgren M, Fidock DA, Nwaka S
Nature. 2012 Apr; 484(7395):S22-S23
- Intermittent preventive treatment for malaria in Papua New Guinean infants exposed to Plasmodium falciparum and P. vivax: a randomized controlled trial.
Senn N, Rarau P, Stanisic DI, Robinson L, Barnadas C, Manong D, Salib M, Iga J, Tarongka N, Ley S, Rosanas-Urgell A, Aponte JJ, Zimmerman PA, Beeson JG, Schofield L, Siba P, Rogerson SJ, Reeder JC, Mueller I
PLoS Med. 2012 Mar; 9(3):e1001195
- High affinity antibodies to Plasmodium falciparum merozoite antigens are associated with protection from malaria.
Reddy SB, Anders RF, Beeson JG, FÃ¤rnert A, Kironde F, Berenzon SK, Wahlgren M, Linse S, Persson KE
PLoS One. 2012 Feb; 7(2):e32242
- Antibody to P. falciparum in Pregnancy Varies with Intermittent Preventive Treatment Regime and Bed Net Use.
Aitken EH, Mbewe B, Luntamo M, Kulmala T, Beeson JG, Ashorn P, Rogerson SJ
PLoS One. 2012 Jan; 7(1):e29874
- Quantifying the importance of MSP1-19 as a target of growth-inhibitory and protective antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum in humans.
Wilson DW, Fowkes FJ, Gilson PR, Elliott SR, Tavul L, Michon P, Dabod E, Siba PM, Mueller I, Crabb BS, Beeson JG
PLoS One. 2011 Nov; 6(11):e27705
- Discovery of GAMA, a Plasmodium falciparum merozoite micronemal protein, as a novel blood-stage vaccine candidate antigen.
Arumugam TU, Takeo S, Yamasaki T, Thonkukiatkul A, Miura K, Otsuki H, Zhou H, Long CA, Sattabongkot J, Thompson J, Wilson DW, Beeson JG, Healer J, Crabb BS, Cowman AF, Torii M, Tsuboi T
Infect Immun. 2011 Nov; 79(11):4523-4532
- A phase 1 trial of MSP2-C1, a blood-stage malaria vaccine containing 2 isoforms of MSP2 formulated with Montanide(R) ISA 720.
McCarthy JS, Marjason J, Elliott S, Fahey P, Bang G, Malkin E, Tierney E, Aked-Hurditch H, Adda C, Cross N, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Boyle MJ, Long C, Druilhe P, Beeson JG, Anders RF
PLoS One. 2011 Sep; 6(9):e24413
- IgG against Plasmodium falciparum variant surface antigens and growth inhibitory antibodies in Mozambican children receiving intermittent preventive treatment with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine.
Diana Quelhas, Alfons Jimenez, Llorenc Quinto, Elisa Serra-Casas, Alfredo Mayor, Pau Cistero, Laura Puyol, Danny W Wilson, Jack S Richards, Tacilta Nhampossa, Eusebio Macete, Pedro Aide, Inacio Mandomando, Sergi Sanz, John J Aponte, Pedro L Alonso, James G Beeson, Clara Menendez, Carlota Dobano
Immunobiology. 2011 Jul; 216(7):793-802
- Reticulocyte and erythrocyte binding-like proteins function cooperatively in invasion of human erythrocytes by malaria parasites.
Sash Lopaticki, Alexander G Maier, Jennifer Thompson, Danny W Wilson, Wai-Hong Tham, Tony Triglia, Alex Gout, Terence P Speed, James G Beeson, Julie Healer, Alan F Cowman
Infect Immun. 2011 Mar; 79(3):1107-1117
- Placental malaria-associated inflammation disturbs the insulin-like growth factor axis of fetal growth regulation.
Alexandra J Umbers, Philippe Boeuf, Caroline Clapham, Danielle I Stanisic, Francesca Baiwog, Ivo Mueller, Peter Siba, Christopher L King, James G Beeson, Jocelyn Glazier, Stephen J Rogerson
J Infect Dis. 2011 Feb; 203(4):561-569
- Antibodies to a full-length VAR2CSA immunogen are broadly strain-transcendent but do not cross-inhibit different placental-type parasite isolates.
Marion Avril, Marianne J Hathaway, Anand Srivastava, Sebastien Dechavanne, Mirja Hommel, James G Beeson, Joseph D Smith, Benoit Gamain
PLoS One. 2011 Feb; 6(2):e16622
- Intermittent preventive treatment to reduce the burden of malaria in children: new evidence on integration and delivery.
Beeson JG, Rogerson SJ, Mueller I, Richards JS, Fowkes FJI
PLoS Med. 2011 Feb; 8(2):e1000410
- Super-resolution dissection of coordinated events during malaria parasite invasion of the human erythrocyte.
Riglar DT, Richard D, Wilson DW, Boyle MJ, Dekiwadia C, Turnbull L, Angrisano F, Marapana DS, Rogers KL, Whitchurch CB, Beeson JG, Cowman AF, Ralph SA, Baum J
Cell Host Microbe. 2011 Jan; 9(1):9-20
- Evidence that the erythrocyte invasion ligand PfRh2 is a target of protective immunity against Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Reiling L, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Barry AE, Triglia T, Chokejindachai W, Michon P, Tavul L, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2010 Nov; 185(10):6157-6167
- Association between naturally acquired antibodies to erythrocyte-binding antigens of Plasmodium falciparum and protection from malaria and high-density parasitemia.
Richards JS, Stanisic DI, Fowkes FJ, Tavul L, Dabod E, Thompson JK, Kumar S, Chitnis CE, Narum DL, Michon P, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Oct; 51(8):e50-e60
- Complement receptor 1 is the host erythrocyte receptor for Plasmodium falciparum PfRh4 invasion ligand.
Wai-Hong Tham, Danny W Wilson, Sash Lopaticki, Christoph Q Schmidt, Patience B Tetteh-Quarcoo, Paul N Barlow, Dave Richard, Jason E Corbin, James G Beeson, Alan F Cowman
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Oct; 107(40):17327-17332
- Minimal association of common red blood cell polymorphisms with Plasmodium falciparum infection and uncomplicated malaria in Papua New Guinean school children.
Enmoore Lin, Livingstone Tavul, Pascal Michon, Jack S Richards, Elijah Dabod, James G Beeson, Christopher L King, Peter A Zimmerman, Ivo Mueller
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010 Oct; 83(4):828-833
- Isolation of viable Plasmodium falciparum merozoites to define erythrocyte invasion events and advance vaccine and drug development.
Michelle J Boyle, Danny W Wilson, Jack S Richards, David T Riglar, Kevin K A Tetteh, David J Conway, Stuart A Ralph, Jake Baum, James G Beeson
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Aug; 107(32):14378-14383
- Development of fluorescent Plasmodium falciparum for in vitro growth inhibition assays.
Wilson DW, Crabb BS, Beeson JG
Malar J. 2010 Jun; 9:152
- Interactions with heparin-like molecules during erythrocyte invasion by Plasmodium falciparum merozoites.
Boyle MJ, Richards JS, Gilson PR, Chai W, Beeson JG
Blood. 2010 Jun; 115(22):4559-4568
- Using an improved phagocytosis assay to evaluate the effect of HIV on specific antibodies to pregnancy-associated malaria.
Ricardo Ataide, Wina Hasang, Danny W Wilson, James G Beeson, Victor Mwapasa, Malcolm E Molyneux, Steven R Meshnick, Stephen J Rogerson
PLoS One. 2010 May; 5(5):e10807
- Antibodies to chondroitin sulfate A-binding infected erythrocytes: dynamics and protection during pregnancy in women receiving intermittent preventive treatment.
Elizabeth H Aitken, Bernard Mbewe, Mari Luntamo, Ken Maleta, Teija Kulmala, Marc-James Friso, Freya J I Fowkes, James G Beeson, Per Ashorn, Stephen J Rogerson
J Infect Dis. 2010 May; 201(9):1316-1325
- Evaluation of the antigenic diversity of placenta-binding Plasmodium falciparum variants and the antibody repertoire among pregnant women.
Mirja Hommel, Salenna R Elliott, Viju Soma, Greg Kelly, Freya J I Fowkes, Joanne M Chesson, Michael F Duffy, Joseph Bockhorst, Marion Avril, Ivo Mueller, Andrew Raiko, Danielle I Stanisic, Stephen J Rogerson, Joseph D Smith, James G Beeson
Infect Immun. 2010 May; 78(5):1963-1978
- Immunization with VAR2CSA-DBL5 recombinant protein elicits broadly cross-reactive antibodies to placental Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes.
Marion Avril, Megan M Cartwright, Marianne J Hathaway, Mirja Hommel, Salenna R Elliott, Kathryn Williamson, David L Narum, Patrick E Duffy, Michal Fried, James G Beeson, Joseph D Smith
Infect Immun. 2010 May; 78(5):2248-2256
- The relationship between anti-merozoite antibodies and incidence of Plasmodium falciparum malaria: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Freya J I Fowkes, Jack S Richards, Julie A Simpson, James G Beeson
PLoS Med. 2010 Jan; 7(1):e1000218
- Strain-specific duffy binding protein antibodies correlate with protection against infection with homologous compared to heterologous plasmodium vivax strains in Papua New Guinean children.
Jennifer L Cole-Tobian, Pascal Michon, Moses Biasor, Jack S Richards, James G Beeson, Ivo Mueller, Christopher L King
Infect Immun. 2009 Sep; 77(9):4009-4017
- The future for blood-stage vaccines against malaria.
Jack S Richards, James G Beeson
Immunol Cell Biol. 2009 Jul; 87(5):377-390
- Cellular tumor necrosis factor, gamma interferon, and interleukin-6 responses as correlates of immunity and risk of clinical Plasmodium falciparum malaria in children from Papua New Guinea.
Leanne J Robinson, Marthe C D'Ombrain, Danielle I Stanisic, Jack Taraika, Nicholas Bernard, Jack S Richards, James G Beeson, Livingstone Tavul, Pascal Michon, Ivo Mueller, Louis Schofield
Infect Immun. 2009 Jul; 77(7):3033-3043
- Antibodies to reticulocyte binding protein-like homologue 4 inhibit invasion of Plasmodium falciparum into human erythrocytes.
Wai-Hong Tham, Danny W Wilson, Linda Reiling, Lin Chen, James G Beeson, Alan F Cowman
Infect Immun. 2009 Jun; 77(6):2427-2435
- Sir2 paralogues cooperate to regulate virulence genes and antigenic variation in Plasmodium falciparum.
Christopher J Tonkin, Celine K Carret, Manoj T Duraisingh, Till S Voss, Stuart A Ralph, Mirja Hommel, Michael F Duffy, Liliana Mancio da Silva, Artur Scherf, Alasdair Ivens, Terence P Speed, James G Beeson, Alan F Cowman
PLoS Biol. 2009 Apr; 7(4):e84
- Immunoglobulin G subclass-specific responses against Plasmodium falciparum merozoite antigens are associated with control of parasitemia and protection from symptomatic illness.
Danielle I Stanisic, Jack S Richards, Fiona J McCallum, Pascal Michon, Christopher L King, Sonja Schoepflin, Paul R Gilson, Vincent J Murphy, Robin F Anders, Ivo Mueller, James G Beeson
Infect Immun. 2009 Mar; 77(3):1165-1174
- Reticulocyte-binding protein homologue 5 - an essential adhesin involved in invasion of human erythrocytes by Plasmodium falciparum.
Jake Baum, Lin Chen, Julie Healer, Sash Lopaticki, Michelle Boyle, Tony Triglia, Florian Ehlgen, Stuart A Ralph, James G Beeson, Alan F Cowman
Int J Parasitol. 2009 Feb; 39(3):371-380
- Recent insights into humoral and cellular immune responses against malaria.
James G Beeson, Faith H A Osier, Christian R Engwerda
Trends Parasitol. 2008 Dec; 24(12):578-584
- Acquisition of growth-inhibitory antibodies against blood-stage Plasmodium falciparum.
Fiona J McCallum, Kristina E M Persson, Cleopatra K Mugyenyi, Freya J I Fowkes, Julie A Simpson, Jack S Richards, Thomas N Williams, Kevin Marsh, James G Beeson
PLoS One. 2008 Oct; 3(10):e3571
- Antibody-mediated growth inhibition of Plasmodium falciparum: relationship to age and protection from parasitemia in Kenyan children and adults.
Arlene E Dent, Elke S Bergmann-Leitner, Danny W Wilson, Daniel J Tisch, Rhonda Kimmel, John Vulule, Peter Odada Sumba, James G Beeson, Evelina Angov, Ann M Moormann, James W Kazura
PLoS One. 2008 Oct; 3(10):e3557
- Exported proteins required for virulence and rigidity of Plasmodium falciparum-infected human erythrocytes.
Alexander G Maier, Melanie Rug, Matthew T O'Neill, Monica Brown, Srabasti Chakravorty, Tadge Szestak, Joanne Chesson, Yang Wu, Katie Hughes, Ross L Coppel, Chris Newbold, James G Beeson, Alister Craig, Brendan S Crabb, Alan F Cowman
Cell. 2008 Jul; 134(1):48-61
- Characteristics of Plasmodium falciparum-infected-erythrocyte adhesion to chondroitin sulfate.
James G Beeson
Infect Immun. 2008 Jun; 76(6):2808; author reply 2808-2808; author reply 2809
- Estimating the burden of global mortality in children aged <5 years by pathogen-specific causes.
Salenna R Elliott, James G Beeson
Clin Infect Dis. 2008 Jun; 46(11):1794-1795
- Truncation of Plasmodium berghei merozoite surface protein 8 does not affect in vivo blood-stage development.
Tania F de Koning-Ward, Damien R Drew, Joanne M Chesson, James G Beeson, Brendan S Crabb
Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2008 May; 159(1):69-72
- Polymorphic and conserved targets of antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum during pregnancy.
James G Beeson, Salenna R Elliott, Mirja Hommel
J Infect Dis. 2008 May; 197(9):1350-1; author reply 1351
- Characterization of VAR2CSA-deficient Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes selected for adhesion to the BeWo placental cell line.
Francisca Yosaatmadja, Katherine T Andrews, Michael F Duffy, Graham V Brown, James G Beeson, Stephen J Rogerson
Malar J. 2008 Mar; 7:51
- Variation in use of erythrocyte invasion pathways by Plasmodium falciparum mediates evasion of human inhibitory antibodies.
Kristina E M Persson, Fiona J McCallum, Linda Reiling, Nicole A Lister, Janine Stubbs, Alan F Cowman, Kevin Marsh, James G Beeson
J Clin Invest. 2008 Jan; 118(1):342-351
- Towards a vaccine against Plasmodium vivax malaria.
James G Beeson, Brendan S Crabb
PLoS Med. 2007 Dec; 4(12):e350
- Serum lipoproteins promote efficient presentation of the malaria virulence protein PfEMP1 at the erythrocyte surface.
Sarah Frankland, Salenna R Elliott, Francisca Yosaatmadja, James G Beeson, Stephen J Rogerson, Akinola Adisa, Leann Tilley
Eukaryot Cell. 2007 Sep; 6(9):1584-1594
- Structural basis for binding of Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte membrane protein 1 to chondroitin sulfate and placental tissue and the influence of protein polymorphisms on binding specificity.
James G Beeson, Katherine T Andrews, Michelle Boyle, Michael F Duffy, Ee Ken Choong, Tim J Byrne, Joanne M Chesson, Alexander M Lawson, Wengang Chai
J Biol Chem. 2007 Aug; 282(31):22426-22436
- Antibodies among men and children to placental-binding Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes that express var2csa.
James G Beeson, Francis Ndungu, Kristina E M Persson, Joanne M Chesson, Greg L Kelly, Sophie Uyoga, Sandra L Hallamore, Thomas N Williams, John C Reeder, Graham V Brown, Kevin Marsh
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007 Jul; 77(1):22-28
- The risk of malarial infections and disease in Papua New Guinean children.
Pascal Michon, Jennifer L Cole-Tobian, Elijah Dabod, Sonja Schoepflin, Jennifer Igu, Melinda Susapu, Nandao Tarongka, Peter A Zimmerman, John C Reeder, James G Beeson, Louis Schofield, Christopher L King, Ivo Mueller
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007 Jun; 76(6):997-1008
- Skeleton-binding protein 1 functions at the parasitophorous vacuole membrane to traffic PfEMP1 to the Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocyte surface.
Alexander G Maier, Melanie Rug, Matthew T O'Neill, James G Beeson, Matthias Marti, John Reeder, Alan F Cowman
Blood. 2007 Feb; 109(3):1289-1297
- Development and optimization of high-throughput methods to measure Plasmodium falciparum-specific growth inhibitory antibodies.
Kristina E M Persson, Chee T Lee, Kevin Marsh, James G Beeson
J Clin Microbiol. 2006 May; 44(5):1665-1673
- Antigenic differences and conservation among placental Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes and acquisition of variant-specific and cross-reactive antibodies.
James G Beeson, Emily J Mann, Timothy J Byrne, Aphrodite Caragounis, Salenna R Elliott, Graham V Brown, Stephen J Rogerson
J Infect Dis. 2006 Mar; 193(5):721-730
- A var gene promoter controls allelic exclusion of virulence genes in Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Till S Voss, Julie Healer, Allison J Marty, Michael F Duffy, Jennifer K Thompson, James G Beeson, John C Reeder, Brendan S Crabb, Alan F Cowman
Nature. 2006 Feb; 439(7079):1004-1008
- Promising functional readouts of immunity in a blood-stage malaria vaccine trial.
Brendan S Crabb, James G Beeson
PLoS Med. 2005 Nov; 2(11):e380
- Targets of protective antibodies to malaria during pregnancy.
James G Beeson, Stephen J Rogerson, Salenna R Elliott, Michael F Duffy
J Infect Dis. 2005 Nov; 192(9):1647-1650
- Placental malaria induces variant-specific antibodies of the cytophilic subtypes immunoglobulin G1 (IgG1) and IgG3 that correlate with adhesion inhibitory activity.
Salenna R Elliott, Amy K Brennan, James G Beeson, Eyob Tadesse, Malcolm E Molyneux, Graham V Brown, Stephen J Rogerson
Infect Immun. 2005 Sep; 73(9):5903-5907
- Cross-reactive surface epitopes on chondroitin sulfate A-adherent Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes are associated with transcription of var2csa.
Salenna R Elliott, Michael F Duffy, Timothy J Byrne, James G Beeson, Emily J Mann, Danny W Wilson, Stephen J Rogerson, Graham V Brown
Infect Immun. 2005 May; 73(5):2848-2856
- Broad analysis reveals a consistent pattern of var gene transcription in Plasmodium falciparum repeatedly selected for a defined adhesion phenotype.
Michael F Duffy, Timothy J Byrne, Salenna R Elliott, Danny W Wilson, Stephen J Rogerson, James G Beeson, Rintis Noviyanti, Graham V Brown
Mol Microbiol. 2005 May; 56(3):774-788
- Clinical features and pathogenesis of severe malaria.
Claire L Mackintosh, James G Beeson, Kevin Marsh
Trends Parasitol. 2004 Dec; 20(12):597-603
- Malaria in pregnancy and the endemicity spectrum: what can we learn?
Francois Nosten, Stephen J Rogerson, James G Beeson, Rose McGready, Theonest K Mutabingwa, Bernard Brabin
Trends Parasitol. 2004 Sep; 20(9):425-432
- Impairment of humoral immunity to Plasmodium falciparum malaria in pregnancy by HIV infection.
Adele M Mount, Victor Mwapasa, Salenna R Elliott, James G Beeson, Eyob Tadesse, Valentino M Lema, Malcolm E Molyneux, Steven R Meshnick, Stephen J Rogerson
Lancet. 2004 Jun; 363(9424):1860-1867
- Phenotypes of Plasmodium falciparum from the peripheral blood of pregnant women.
James G Beeson, Stephen J Rogerson
Infect Immun. 2004 Mar; 72(3):1841
- Antibodies to variant surface antigens of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes and adhesion inhibitory antibodies are associated with placental malaria and have overlapping and distinct targets.
James G Beeson, Emily J Mann, Salenna R Elliott, Valentino M Lema, Eyob Tadesse, Malcolm E Molyneux, Graham V Brown, Stephen J Rogerson
J Infect Dis. 2004 Feb; 189(3):540-551
- Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes demonstrate dual specificity for adhesion to hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate A and have distinct adhesive properties.
James G Beeson, Graham V Brown
J Infect Dis. 2004 Jan; 189(2):169-179
- Selective accumulation of mature asexual stages of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes in the placenta.
James G Beeson, Nishal Amin, Maxwell Kanjala, Stephen J Rogerson
Infect Immun. 2002 Oct; 70(10):5412-5415
- Evaluating specific adhesion of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes to immobilised hyaluronic acid with comparison to binding of mammalian cells.
James G Beeson, Stephen J Rogerson, Graham V Brown
Int J Parasitol. 2002 Sep; 32(10):1245-1252
- The structural motif in chondroitin sulfate for adhesion of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes comprises disaccharide units of 4-O-sulfated and non-sulfated N-acetylgalactosamine linked to glucuronic acid.
Wengang Chai, James G Beeson, Alexander M Lawson
J Biol Chem. 2002 Jun; 277(25):22438-22446
- Expanding the paradigms of placental malaria.
James G Beeson, Brian M Cooke, J Alexandra Rowe, Stephen J Rogerson
Trends Parasitol. 2002 Apr; 18(4):145-147
- Parasite adhesion and immune evasion in placental malaria.
J G Beeson, J C Reeder, S J Rogerson, G V Brown
Trends Parasitol. 2001 Jul; 17(7):331-337
- Sticky rings: challenging the cytoadherence dogma.
B M Cooke, J G Beeson, S J Rogerson
Trends Parasitol. 2001 Feb; 17(2):61
- New agents to combat malaria.
J G Beeson, P A Winstanley, G I McFadden, G V Brown
Nat Med. 2001 Feb; 7(2):149-150
- Inhibition of adhesion of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes by structurally defined hyaluronic acid dodecasaccharides.
W Chai, J G Beeson, H Kogelberg, G V Brown, A M Lawson
Infect Immun. 2001 Jan; 69(1):420-425
- Identification of glycosaminoglycan binding domains in Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte membrane protein 1 of a chondroitin sulfate A-adherent parasite.
J C Reeder, A N Hodder, J G Beeson, G V Brown
Infect Immun. 2000 Jul; 68(7):3923-3926
- Plasmodium falciparum rosette formation is uncommon in isolates from pregnant women.
S J Rogerson, J G Beeson, C G Mhango, F K Dzinjalamala, M E Molyneux
Infect Immun. 2000 Jan; 68(1):391-393
- Adhesion of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes to hyaluronic acid in placental malaria.
J G Beeson, S J Rogerson, B M Cooke, J C Reeder, W Chai, A M Lawson, M E Molyneux, G V Brown
Nat Med. 2000 Jan; 6(1):86-90
- The placenta in malaria: mechanisms of infection, disease and foetal morbidity.
S J Rogerson, J G Beeson
Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1999 Dec; 93 Suppl 1:S35-S42
- Plasmodium falciparum isolates from infected pregnant women and children are associated with distinct adhesive and antigenic properties.
J G Beeson, G V Brown, M E Molyneux, C Mhango, F Dzinjalamala, S J Rogerson
J Infect Dis. 1999 Aug; 180(2):464-472
- The adhesion of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes to chondroitin sulfate A is mediated by P. falciparum erythrocyte membrane protein 1.
J C Reeder, A F Cowman, K M Davern, J G Beeson, J K Thompson, S J Rogerson, G V Brown
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999 Apr; 96(9):5198-5202