Dr Gugasyan holds a key appointment within the Centre for Biomedical Research. He obtained his PhD from the Walter & Eliza Hall Institute (Melbourne) and furthered his training at the Washington University School of Medicine, St.Louis, MO, (USA).
He is internationally and nationally recognised for his research on lymphocytes and the signalling circuitry within these cells that help to prevent chronic diseases such as autoimmunity and cancer.
His research team is currently focused on developing new diagnostic markers for diseases such as autoimmunity and cancer.
- 2009-present: Senior Lecturer, Department of Immunology, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute, Victoria, Australia
- BSc (Hons), Monash University
- PhD, University of Melbourne
- The caspase-8 inhibitor emricasan combines with the SMAC mimetic birinapant to induce necroptosis and treat acute myeloid leukemia.
Brumatti G, Ma C, Lalaoui N, Nguyen NY, Navarro M, Tanzer MC, Richmond J, Ghisi M, Salmon JM, Silke N, Pomilio G, Glaser SP, de Valle E, Gugasyan R, Gurthridge MA, Condon SM, Johnstone RW, Lock R, Salvesen G, Wei A, Vaux DL, Ekert PG, Silke J
Sci Transl Med. 2016 May; 8(339):339ra69
- The NF-kappaB transcription factor RelA is required for the tolerogenic function of Foxp3 regulatory T cells.
Messina N, Fulford T, O'Reilly L, Loh WX, Motyer JM, Ellis D, McLean C, Naeem H, Lin A, Gugasyan R, Slattery RM, Grumont RJ, Gerondakis S
J Autoimmun. 2016 Apr; 70:52-62
- NFkappaB1 is essential to prevent the development of multiorgan autoimmunity by limiting IL-6 production in follicular B cells.
de Valle E, Grigoriadis G, O'Reilly LA, Willis SN, Maxwell MJ, Corcoran LM, Tsantikos E, Cornish JK, Fairfax KA, Vasanthakumar A, Febbraio MA, Hibbs ML, Pellegrini M, Banerjee A, Hodgkin PD, Kallies A, Mackay F, Strasser A, Gerondakis S, Gugasyan R
J Exp Med. 2016 Mar; 213(4):421-461
- Targeting p38 or MK2 Enhances the Anti-Leukemic Activity of Smac-Mimetics.
Lalaoui N, Hänggi K, Brumatti G, Chau D, Nguyen NY, Vasilikos L, Spilgies LM, Heckmann DA, Ma C, Ghisi M, Salmon JM, Matthews GM, de Valle E, Moujalled DM, Menon MB, Spall SK, Glaser SP, Richmond J, Lock RB, Condon SM, Gugasyan R, Gaestel M, Guthridge M, Johnstone RW, Munoz L, Wei A, Ekert PG, Vaux DL, Wong WW, Silke J
Cancer Cell. 2016 Feb; 29(2):145-158
- NF-kappaB subunit specificity in hemopoiesis.
Gerondakis S, Banerjee A, Grigoriadis G, Vasanthakumar A, Gugasyan R, Sidwell T, Grumont RJ
Immunol Rev. 2012 Mar; 246(1):272-285
- The NF-kappaB1 transcription factor prevents the intrathymic development of CD8 T cells with memory properties.
Gugasyan R, Horat E, Kinkel SA, Ross F, Grigoriadis G, Gray D, O'Keeffe M, Berzins SP, Belz GT, Grumont RJ, Banerjee A, Strasser A, Godfrey DI, Tsichlis PN, Gerondakis S
EMBO J. 2012 Feb; 31(3):692-706