Sharon Lewin is an infectious diseases physician and basic scientist. She is Director of the Infectious Diseases Unit at The Alfred Hospital; Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Monash University; Co-Head of the Centre for Biomedical Research, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia and an Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) practitioner fellow. She completed her medical training at Monash University, Melbourne; her specialist infectious diseases specialist training at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne; her PhD in virology from the Burnet Institute, Melbourne and her post-doctoral fellowship at the Rockefeller University, New York.
She is a past president of the Australasian Society for HIV Medicine, the peak professional body that represents all clinicians and researchers working in HIV in Australia. She is currently a member of the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Blood Borne Viruses and Sexually Transmitted Infections, the peak advisory body to the Australian government on blood borne viruses and a member of the International AIDS Society (IAS) international working group currently developing a global scientific strategy for HIV cure research. She has received continuous research funding from the Australian NHMRC since 1993 as well as funding from NIH, AmFAR and the Wellcome Trust. Her laboratory focuses on understanding how HIV persists in patients on antiviral therapy, strategies to cure HIV infection, biological determinants of immune recovery following antiviral therapy and the pathogenesis of HIV-HBV co-infection.
- 2014: Local co-chair, XXth International AIDS Conference (IAC), Melbourne Australia. The IAC is expected to attract 25,000 delegates and will be the largest medical conference ever held in Australia. The international co-chair will be Nobel Laureate, Professor Francoise Barre-Sinoussi.
- 2011: Member, Ministerial Advisory Committee on Blood Borne Viruses and Sexually Transmitted infections. This is the peak body that advises the Australian Minister for Health on all matters related to HIV and viral hepatitis in Australia. There are 18 members of this advisory group
- 2011: Invited Member, Basic Science Track, Scientific Organising Committee, World AIDS Conference, Wanshington DC, July 2012
- 2011: Invited Member, Scientific Organising Committee, Sixth International Meeting on HIV-Hepatitis Co-infection, Milan, 2011
- 2011: Invited Member, Scientific Committee, 2nd HIV and women workshop, Washington DC, January 2012
- 2011: Co-chair, Tools for HIV eradication. One of four groups that will write the stragegy for the International AIDS Society ‘Towards and HIV Cure’ Chair, NHMRC Practitioner Fellowships Panel Chair, NHMRC Early Career Fellowships Panel Chair, Data Safety and Monitoring Board for Australian Trial of Treatment in Acute Hepatitis C II (ATAHCII). This is a large NIH RO1 funded study that includes only Australian investigators conducting a RCT for management of acute HCV infections.
- 2010: Member, NHMRC Australia Fellowships Panel
- 2010: Invited Member, Scientific Organising Committee, Fifth International Meeting on HIV-Hepatitis Co-infection, Israel, 2010
- 2010: Invited Member, Data Safety and Monitoring Board, PIONA, PI or NNRTI as first-line HIV treatment in a West African population with low adherence and high HIV-2 prevalence.
- 2010: Invited Member, Scientific Committee, 1st HIV and women workshop, Washington DC USA, January 2011.
- 2010: Invited Member, Basic Science Track, Scientific Organising Committee. 6th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention, Rome, 2011
- 2009: Invited Member, Basic Science Track, Scientific Organising Committee. 5th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention, Cape Town, 2009
- 2009: Invited Member, Scientific Organising Committee, Fourth International Meeting on HIV-Hepatitis Co-infection, Lisbon, 2009
- 2009: Invited Member, Basic Science Track, Scientific Organising Committee, World AIDS Conference, Vienna, Austria, July 2010
- 2008-present: Member, Immunology Interest Group for INSIGHT (a multinational network for the conduct in clinical research in HIV medicine that is funded by the US National Institutes of Health.
- 2005-present: Member, Monash Infection and Immunity Network (MIIN). MIIN is a network of all researchers within Monash University who work in infections and immunity. The goal is to facilitate collaborations and joint grant proposals amongst Monash researchers.
- 2003-present: Chair, Australian Centre for HIV and Hepatitis (ACH2 Quality Assurance Program for PBMC collection. This is a national collaboration of laboratories around Australia to enhance and maintain high quality speciment collection of PBMC for clinicals trials in HIV and viral hepatitis
- 2003: Deputy Chair, (ACH2), Immunovirology Research Network
- 2002-present: Member, ACH2
- 2013: Co-Head, Centre for Biomedical Research, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2009-2013: Co-head, Centre for Virology, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2008-2013: NHMRC Practitioner Fellow, SP2
- 2003-present: Director, Infectious Diseases Unit, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 2003-present: Professor, Department of Infectious Diseaes, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 2003-present: Honorary Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 2003-2008: NHMRC Practitioner Fellow, SP1
- 2001-2003: Senior Research Fellow, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1999-2003: Consultant physician, Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1999-2001: The Ian Potter Foundation Fellow in Infectious Diseases, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1998-1999: Attending Physician, The Rockefeller University Hospital, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY
- 1997-1999: Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, Rockefeller University, New York, NY
- 1995-1997: Infectious Diseases Physician, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1995-1997: Consultant Physician, Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia
- 1993-1996: Postgraduate Research Fellow, Macfarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research, Victoria, Australia
- 1997: FRACP Infectious Diseases, Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 1997: Ph.D. Microbiology, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1986 MB BS (Hons), Medicine, Monash University, Australia
- 2011: Frank Fenner Award, Burnet Instistute. Awarded to a member of the Burnet staff who has excelled in their work towards achieving the mission of the Burnet
- 2011: Victorian AIDS Council / Gay Mens Health Centre Annual Research award for 2011
- 2002: Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases GlaxoSmithKline Advanced Research Award
- 2001: Best Poster Prize, International Conference on Antiviral Chemotherapy, Seattle, WA
- 2000: Williamson Community Leadership Program
- 2000: Zeneca Travel Scholarship 2000, Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases
- 1999: The Potter Fellowship for Infectious Diseases, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Australia
- 1998: Post doctoral travel grant, Sixth Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infectious, Chicago
- 1997: National Health and Medical Research Council CJ Martin Postdoctoral Fellowship for Aaron Diamond Center for AIDS Research, New York, USA
- 1996: Smith Kline Travel scholarship for advanced trainees in Infectious Diseases
- Associations between surface markers on blood monocytes and carotid atherosclerosis in HIV-positive individuals.
Westhorpe CL, Maisa A, Spelman T, Hoy JF, Dewar EM, Karapanagiotidis S, Hearps AC, Cheng WJ, Trevillyan J, Lewin SR, Sviridov D, Elliott JH, Jaworowski A, Dart AM, Crowe SM
Immunol Cell Biol. 2014 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Entinostat is a histone deacetylase inhibitor selective for class 1 histone deacetylases and activates HIV production from latently infected primary T cells.
Wightman F, Lu HK, Solomon AE, Saleh S, Harman AN, Cunningham AL, Gray L, Churchill M, Cameron PU, Dear AE, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2013 Nov; 27(18):2853-2862
- The end of AIDS: HIV infection as a chronic disease.
Deeks SG, Lewin SR, Havlir DV
Lancet. 2013 Oct; 382(9903):1525-1533
- Targets for intervention to improve virological outcomes for patients receiving free antiretroviral therapy in Tamil Nadu, India.
McMahon JH, Manoharan A, Wanke C, Mammen S, Jose H, Malini T, Kadavanu T, Jordan MR, Elliott JH, Lewin SR, Mathai D
AIDS Care. 2013 Oct; Epub ahead of print
- Pustular Skin Lesions in a Patient With Advanced HIV Infection and Pneumonia.
Macesic N, Chang C, Abbott IA, Trevillyan J, Pham A, Lewin SR
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Oct; 57(8):1210-1211
- Chemokine levels and chemokine receptor expression in blood and the CSF of HIV-infected patients with cryptococcal meningitis and C-IRIS.
Chang CC, Omarjee S, Lim A, Spelman T, Gosnell BI, Carr WH, Elliott JH, Moosa MY, Ndung'u T, French MA, Lewin SR
J Infect Dis. 2013 Aug; 208(10):1604-1612
- Altering cell death pathways as an approach to cure HIV infection.
Badley AD, Sainski A, Wightman F, Lewin SR
Cell Death Dis. 2013 Jul; 4:e718
- HIV and co-infections.
Chang CC, Crane M, Zhou J, Mina M, Post JJ, Cameron BA, Lloyd AR, Jaworowski A, French MA, Lewin SR
Immunol Rev. 2013 Jul; 254(1):114-142
- A cure for HIV: where we've been, and where we're headed.
Lancet. 2013 Jun; 381(9883):2057-2058
- Cryptococcosis-IRIS is associated with lower Cryptococcus-specific IFN-gamma responses before antiretroviral therapy but not higher T-cell responses during therapy.
Chang CC, Lim A, Omarjee S, Levitz SM, Gosnell BI, Spelman T, Elliott JH, Carr WH, Moosa MY, Ndung'u T, Lewin SR, French MA
J Infect Dis. 2013 Jun; 208(6):898-906
- A common mechanism of clinical HIV-1 resistance to the CCR5 antagonist maraviroc despite divergent resistance levels and lack of common gp120 resistance mutations.
Roche M, Salimi H, Duncan R, Wilkinson BL, Chikere K, Moore MS, Webb NE, Zappi H, Sterjovski J, Flynn JK, Ellett A, Gray LR, Lee B, Jubb B, Westby M, Ramsland PA, Lewin SR, Payne RJ, Churchill MJ, Gorry PR
Retrovirology. 2013 Apr; 10(1):43
- The magnitude of HIV-1 resistance to the CCR5 antagonist maraviroc may impart a differential alteration in HIV-1 tropism for macrophages and T-cell subsets.
Flynn JK, Paukovics G, Moore MS, Ellett A, Gray LR, Duncan R, Salimi H, Jubb B, Westby M, Purcell DF, Lewin SR, Lee B, Churchill MJ, Gorry PR, Roche M
Virology. 2013 Apr; 442(1):51-58
- Quantitative HBsAg and HBeAg Predict Hepatitis B Seroconversion after Initiation of HAART in HIV-HBV Coinfected Individuals.
Matthews GV, Ali RJ, Avihingsanon A, Amin J, Hammond R, Bowden S, Lewin SR, Sasadeusz J, Littlejohn M, Locarnini SL, Ruxrungtham K, Dore GJ
PLoS One. 2013 Apr; 8(4):e61297
- Clinical and mycological predictors of cryptococcosis-associated Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (C-IRIS).
Chang CC, Dorasamy AA, Gosnell BI, Elliott JH, Spelman T, Omarjee S, Naranbhai V, Coovadia Y, Ndung'u T, Moosa MY, Lewin SR, French MA
AIDS. 2013 Mar; 27(13):2089-2099
- The search for an HIV cure: tackling latent infection.
Kent SJ, Reece JC, Petravic J, Martyushev A, Kramski M, De Rose R, Cooper DA, Kelleher AD, Emery S, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Davenport MP
Lancet Infect Dis. 2013 Mar; 13(7):614-621
- Pharmacy and Self-Report Adherence Measures to Predict Virological Outcomes for Patients on Free Antiretroviral Therapy in Tamil Nadu, India.
McMahon JH, Manoharan A, Wanke CA, Mammen S, Jose H, Malini T, Kadavanu T, Jordan MR, Elliott JH, Lewin SR, Mathai D
AIDS Behav. 2013 Feb; 17(6):2253-2259
- Comparison of HDAC inhibitors in clinical development: Effect on HIV production in latently infected cells and T-cell activation.
Rasmussen TA, Schmeltz Søgaard O, Brinkmann C, Wightman F, Lewin SR, Melchjorsen J, Dinarello C, Ostergaard L, Tolstrup M
Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2013 Jan; 9(5):1-9
- Biomarkers of inflammation and coagulation are associated with mortality and hepatitis flares in persons co-infected with HIV and hepatitis viruses.
Andrade BB, Hullsiek KH, Boulware DR, Rupert A, French MA, Ruxrungtham K, Montes ML, Price H, Barreiro P, Audsley J, Sher A, Lewin SR, Sereti I; for the INSIGHT Study Group.
J Infect Dis. 2013 Jan; 207(9):1379-1388
- Persistent immune activation in chronic HIV infection: do any interventions work?
Rajasuriar R, Khoury G, Kamarulzaman A, French MA, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2013 Jan; 27(8):1199-1208
- Patterns and causes of suboptimal response to tenofovir based therapy in HIV-HBV infected individuals.
Matthews GV, Seaberg EC, Avihingsanon A, Bowden S, Dore GJ, Lewin SR, Sasadeusz J, Revill PA, Littlejohn M, Hoy JF, Finlayson R, Ruxrungtham K, Saulynas M, Locarnini S, Thio CL
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Jan; 56(9):e87-e94
- Targeting antigen to bone marrow stromal cell-2 expressed by conventional and plasmacytoid dendritic cells elicits efficient antigen presentation.
Moffat JM, Segura E, Khoury G, Caminschi I, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Villadangos JA, Mintern JD
Eur J Immunol. 2013 Jan; 43(3):595-605
- Is specific HIV eradication from the brain possible or needed?
Brew BJ, Gray L, Lewin S, Churchill M
Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2013 Jan; 13(3):403-409
- Identification of Lineage Relationships and Novel Markers of Blood and Skin Human Dendritic Cells.
Harman AN, Bye CR, Nasr N, Sandgren KJ, Kim M, Mercier SK, Botting RA, Lewin SR, Cunningham AL, Cameron PU
J Immunol. 2013 Jan; 190(1):66-79
- Circulating Heat Shock Protein 60 Levels Are Elevated in HIV Patients and Are Reduced by Anti-Retroviral Therapy.
Anraku I, Rajasuriar R, Dobbin C, Brown R, Lewin SR, Suhrbier A
PLoS One. 2012 Sep; 7(9):e45291
- In vitro replication phenotype of a novel (-1G) hepatitis B virus variant associated with HIV co-infection.
Cabuang LM, Shaw T, Littlejohn M, Colledge D, Sozzi V, Soppe S, Warner N, Thompson A, Preiss S, Lam N, Walsh R, Lewin SR, Thio CL, Matthews G, Locarnini SA, Revill PA
J Med Virol. 2012 Aug; 84(8):1166-1176
- Towards an HIV cure: a global scientific strategy.
Deeks SG, Autran B, Berkhout B, Benkirane M, Cairns S, Chomont N, Chun TW, Churchill M, Mascio MD, Katlama C, Lafeuillade A, Landay A, Lederman M, Lewin SR, Maldarelli F, Margolis D, Markowitz M, Martinez-Picado J, Mullins JI, Mellors J, Moreno S, O'Doherty U, Palmer S, Penicaud MC, Peterlin M, Poli G, Routy JP, Rouzioux C, Silvestri G, Stevenson M, Telenti A, Lint CV, Verdin E, Woolfrey A, Zaia J, Barré-Sinoussi F for the The International AIDS Society Scientific Working Group on HIV Cure
Nat Rev Immunol. 2012 Jul; 12(8):607-614
- HIV replication is associated with increased severity of liver biopsy changes in HIV-HBV and HIV-HCV co-infection.
Audsley J, du Cros P, Goodman Z, McLean C, Mijch A, Lewin SR, Sasadeusz J
J Med Virol. 2012 Jul; 84(7):993-1001
- HIV persistence: Chemokines and their signalling pathways.
Evans VA, Khoury G, Saleh S, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2012 Jun; 23(4-5):151-157
- Virologically Suppressed HIV Patients Show Activation of NK Cells and Persistent Innate Immune Activation.
Lichtfuss GF, Cheng WJ, Farsakoglu Y, Paukovics G, Rajasuriar R, Velayudham P, Kramski M, Hearps AC, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Immunol. 2012 Jun; 189(3):1491-1499
- A new way of measuring apoptosis by absolute quantitation of inter-nucleosomally fragmented genomic DNA.
Hooker DJ, Mobarok M, Anderson JL, Rajasuriar R, Gray LR, Ellett AM, Lewin SR, Gorry PR, Cherry CL
Nucleic Acids Res. 2012 Apr; 40(15):e113
- Human immunodeficiency virus infection and the liver.
Crane M, Iser D, Lewin SR
World J Hepatol. 2012 Mar; 4(3):91-98
- Assessment of HBV flare in a randomized clinical trial in HIV/HBV coinfected subjects initiating HBV-active antiretroviral therapy in Thailand.
Avihingsanon A, Matthews GV, Lewin SR, Marks P, Sasadeusz J, Cooper DA, Bowden S, Locarnini S, Dore GJ, Ruxrungtham K
AIDS Res Ther. 2012 Mar; 9(1):6
- HIV reservoirs and strategies for eradication.
Smith MZ, Wightman F, Lewin SR
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2012 Mar; 9(1):5-15
- HIV Infection and TLR Signalling in the Liver.
Crane M, Visvanathan K, Lewin SR
Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2012 Feb; 2012:473925
- HDAC inhibitors in HIV.
Wightman F, Ellenberg P, Churchill M, Lewin SR
Immunol Cell Biol. 2012 Jan; 90(1):47-54
- Viral adaptation to host immune responses occurs in chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection, and adaptation is greatest in HBV e antigen-negative disease.
Desmond CP, Gaudieri S, James IR, Pfafferott K, Chopra A, Lau GK, Audsley J, Day C, Chivers S, Gordon A, Revill PA, Bowden S, Ayres A, Desmond PV, Thompson AJ, Roberts SK, Locarnini SA, Mallal SA, Lewin SR
J Virol. 2012 Jan; 86(2):1181-1192
- The role of SNPs in the alpha-chain of the IL-7R gene in CD4+ T-cell recovery in HIV-infected African patients receiving suppressive cART.
Rajasuriar R, Booth DR, Gouillou M, Spelman T, James I, Solomon A, Chua K, Stewart G, Deeks S, Bangsberg DR, Muzoora C, Cameron PU, Hunt P, Martin J, Lewin SR
Genes Immun. 2012 Jan; 13(1):83-93
- CD4+ T-cell deficiency in HIV patients responding to antiretroviral therapy is associated with increased expression of interferon-stimulated genes in CD4+ T cells.
Fernandez S, Tanaskovic S, Helbig K, Rajasuriar R, Kramski M, Murray JM, Beard M, Purcell D, Lewin SR, Price P, French MA.
J Infect Dis. 2011 Dec; 204(12):1927-1935
- HIV and ageing: an overview of an emerging issue.
Slavin S, Elliott J, Fairley C, French M, Hoy J, Law M, Lewin S
Sex Health. 2011 Dec; 8(4):449-451
- The role of naive T-cells in HIV-1 pathogenesis: an emerging key player.
Khoury G, Rajasuriar R, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
Clin Immunol. 2011 Dec; 141(3):253-267
- Intensification of antiretroviral therapy with raltegravir or addition of hyperimmune bovine colostrum in HIV-infected patients with suboptimal CD4+ T-cell response: a randomized controlled trial.
Byakwaga H, Kelly M, Purcell DF, French MA, Amin J, Lewin SR, Haskelberg H, Kelleher AD, Garsia R, Boyd MA, Cooper DA, Emery S; CORAL Study Group
J Infect Dis. 2011 Nov; 204(10):1532-1540
- HIV-1 predisposed to acquiring resistance to maraviroc (MVC) and other CCR5 antagonists in vitro has an inherent, low-level ability to utilize MVC-bound CCR5 for entry.
Roche M, Jakobsen MR, Ellett A, Salimiseyedabad H, Jubb B, Westby M, Lee B, Lewin SR, Churchill MJ, Gorry PR
Retrovirology. 2011 Nov; 8:89
- Factors associated with elevated ALT in an international HIV/HBV co-infected cohort on long-term HAART.
Audsley J, Seaberg EC, Sasadeusz J, Matthews GV, Avihingsanon A, Ruxrungtham K, Fairley K, Finlayson R, Hwang HS, Littlejohn M, Locarnini S, Dore GJ, Thio CL, Lewin SR
PLoS One. 2011 Nov; 6(11):e26482
- Expression and reactivation of HIV in a chemokine induced model of HIV latency in primary resting CD4+ T cells.
Saleh S, Wightman F, Ramanayake S, Alexander M, Kumar N, Khoury G, Pereira C, Purcell D, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
Retrovirology. 2011 Oct; 8:80
- Novel sensitive real-time PCR for quantification of bacterial 16S rRNA genes in plasma of HIV-infected patients as a marker for microbial translocation.
Kramski M, Gaeguta AJ, Lichtfuss GF, Rajasuriar R, Crowe SM, French MA, Lewin SR, Center RJ, Purcell DF
J Clin Microbiol. 2011 Oct; 49(10):3691-3693
- Splenectomy associated changes in IgM memory B cells in an adult spleen registry cohort.
Cameron PU, Jones P, Gorniak M, Dunster K, Paul E. Lewin S, Woolley I, Spelman D
PLoS One. 2011 Aug; 6(8):e23164
- Antibody and B-cell responses may control circulating lipopolysaccharide in patients with HIV infection.
Lim A, Amini A, DÊ¼orsogna L, Rajasuriar R, Kramski M, Lewin S, Purcell D, Price P, French M
AIDS. 2011 Jul; 25(11):1379-1383
- Thymic plasmacytoid dendritic cells are susceptible to productive HIV-1 infection and efficiently transfer R5 HIV-1 to thymocytes in vitro.
Evans VA, Lal L, Akkina R, Solomon A, Wright E, Lewin SR, Cameron PU
Retrovirology. 2011 Jun; 8:43
- Clinical predictors of immune reconstitution following combination antiretroviral therapy in patients from the Australian HIV Observational Database.
Rajasuriar R, Gouillou M, Spelman T, Read T, Hoy J, Law M, Cameron PU, Petoumenos K, Lewin SR
PLoS One. 2011 Jun; 6(6):e20713
- Early events of HIV-1 infection: can signaling be the next therapeutic target?
Jones KL, Smyth RP, Pereira CF, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Jaworowski A, Mak J
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2011 Jun; 6(2):269-283
- Differential expression of CD163 on monocyte subsets in healthy and HIV-1 infected individuals.
Tippett E, Cheng WJ, Westhorpe C, Cameron PU, Brew BJ, Lewin SR, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
PLoS One. 2011 May; 6(5):e19968
- HIV-1 escape from the CCR5 antagonist maraviroc associated with an altered and less-efficient mechanism of gp120-CCR5 engagement that attenuates macrophage tropism.
Roche M, Jakobsen MR, Sterjovski J, Ellett A, Posta F, Lee B, Jubb B, Westby M, Lewin SR, Ramsland PA, Churchill MJ, Gorry PR
J Virol. 2011 May; 85(9):4330-4342
- HIV cure and eradication: how will we get from the laboratory to effective clinical trials?
Lewin SR, Rouzioux C
AIDS. 2011 Apr; 25(7):885-897
- Biomarkers of immune dysfunction following combination antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection.
Lichtfuss GF, Hoy J, Rajasuriar R, Kramski M, Crowe SM, Lewin SR
Biomark Med. 2011 Apr; 5(2):171-186
- Plasma levels of soluble CD14 independently predict mortality in HIV infection.
Sandler NG, Wand H, Roque A, Law M, Nason MC, Nixon DE, Pedersen C, Ruxrungtham K, Lewin SR, Emery S, Neaton JD, Brenchley JM, Deeks SG, Sereti I, Douek DC; for the INSIGHT SMART Study Group.
J Infect Dis. 2011 Mar; 203(6):780-790
- Pharmacy adherence measures to assess adherence to antiretroviral therapy: review of the literature and implications for treatment monitoring.
McMahon JH, Jordan MR, Kelley K, Bertagnolio S, Hong SY, Wanke CA, Lewin SR, Elliott JH
Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Feb; 52(4):493-506
- Balamuthia mandrillaris brain abscess successfully treated with complete surgical excision and prolonged combination antimicrobial therapy.
Doyle JS, Campbell E, Fuller A, Spelman DW, Cameron R, Malham G, Gin D, Lewin SR
J Neurosurg. 2011 Feb; 114(2):458-462
- Finding a cure for HIV: will it ever be achievable?
Lewin SR, Evans VA, Elliott JH, Spire B, Chomont N
J Int AIDS Soc. 2011 Jan; 14:4
- Increased intrahepatic apoptosis but reduced immune activation in HIV-HBV co-infected patients with advanced immunosuppression.
Iser DM, Avihingsanon A, Wisedopas N, Thompson AJ, Boyd A, Matthews GV, Locarnini SA, Slavin J, Desmond PV, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2011 Jan; 25(2):197-205
- HIV inhibits early signal transduction events triggered by CD16 cross-linking on NK cells, which are important for antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity.
Lichtfuss GF, Meehan AC, Cheng WJ, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Leukoc Biol. 2011 Jan; 89(1):149-158
- Both CD31(+) and CD31 naive CD4(+) T cells are persistent HIV type 1-infected reservoirs in individuals receiving antiretroviral therapy.
Wightman F, Solomon A, Khoury G, Green JA, Gray L, Gorry PR, Ho YS, Saksena NK, Hoy J, Crowe SM, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
J Infect Dis. 2010 Dec; 202(11):1738-1748
- Preliminary assessment of Treponema pallidum-specific IgM antibody detection and a new rapid point-of-care assay for the diagnosis of syphilis in human immunodeficiency virus-1-infected patients.
Rotty J, Anderson D, Garcia M, Diaz J, Van de Waarsenburg S, Howard T, Dennison A, Lewin SR, Elliott JH, Hoy J
Int J STD AIDS. 2010 Nov; 21(11):758-764
- Extremely prolonged HIV seroconversion associated with an MHC haplotype carrying disease susceptibility genes for antibody deficiency disorders.
Padiglione A, Aleksic E, French M, Arnott A, Wilson KM, Tippett E, Kaye M, Gray L, Ellett A, Crane M, Leslie DE, Lewin SR, Breschkin A, Birch C, Gorry PR, McPhee DA, Crowe SM
Clin Immunol. 2010 Nov; 137(2):199-208
- Biological determinants of immune reconstitution in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy: the role of interleukin 7 and interleukin 7 receptor alpha and microbial translocation.
Rajasuriar R, Booth D, Solomon A, Chua K, Spelman T, Gouillou M, Schlub TE, Davenport M, Crowe S, Elliott J, Hoy J, Fairley C, Stewart G, Cameron P, Lewin SR
J Infect Dis. 2010 Oct; 202(8):1254-1264
- HBV mutations in untreated HIV-HBV co-infection using genomic length sequencing.
Audsley J, Littlejohn M, Yuen L, Sasadeusz J, Ayres A, Desmond C, Spelman T, Lau G, Matthews GV, Avihingsanon A, Seaberg E, Philp F, Saulynas M, Ruxrungtham K, Dore GJ, Locarnini SA, Thio CL, Lewin SR, Revill PARuxrungtham, Gregory J Dore, Stephen A Locarnini, Chloe L Thio, Sharon R Lewin, Peter A Revill
Virology. 2010 Sep; 405(2):539-547
- Establishment of HIV-1 latency in resting CD4+ T cells depends on chemokine-induced changes in the actin cytoskeleton.
Cameron PU, Saleh S, Sallmann G, Solomon A, Wightman F, Evans VA, Boucher G, Haddad EK, Sekaly RP, Harman AN, Anderson JL, Jones KL, Mak J, Cunningham AL, Jaworowski A, Lewin SR
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Sep; 107(39):16934-16939
- Plotting a strategy. Interview by Jeff Berry.
Posit Aware. 2010 Sep; 22(5):30-31
- Efficacy of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate/emtricitabine compared with emtricitabine alone in antiretroviral-naive HIV-HBV coinfection in Thailand.
Avihingsanon A, Lewin SR, Kerr S, Chang JJ, Piyawat K, Napissanant N, Matthews GV, Dore GJ, Bowden S, Lange J, Ruxrungtham K
Antivir Ther. 2010 Aug; 15(6):917-922
- Serum hepatitis B surface antigen and hepatitis B e antigen titers: disease phase influences correlation with viral load and intrahepatic hepatitis B virus markers.
Thompson AJ, Nguyen T, Iser D, Ayres A, Jackson K, Littlejohn M, Slavin J, Bowden S, Gane EJ, Abbott W, Lau GK, Lewin SR, Visvanathan K, Desmond PV, Locarnini SA
Hepatology. 2010 Jun; 51(6):1933-1944
- Coinfection of hepatic cell lines with human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis B virus leads to an increase in intracellular hepatitis B surface antigen.
Iser DM, Warner N, Revill PA, Solomon A, Wightman F, Saleh S, Crane M, Cameron PU, Bowden S, Nguyen T, Pereira CF, Desmond PV, Locarnini SA, Lewin SR
J Virol. 2010 Jun; 84(12):5860-5867
- A novel, rapid method to detect infectious HIV-1 from plasma of persons infected with HIV-1.
Cornall A, Sharma L, Solomon A, Gorry PR, Crowe SM, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
J Virol Methods. 2010 Apr; 165(1):90-96
- Decreased NK Cell FcRgamma in HIV-1 infected individuals receiving combination antiretroviral therapy: a cross sectional study.
Leeansyah E, Zhou J, Paukovics G, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
PLoS One. 2010 Mar; 5(3):e9643
- No increase in hepatitis B virus (HBV)-specific CD8+ T cells in patients with HIV-1-HBV coinfections following HBV-active highly active antiretroviral therapy.
Crane M, Sirivichayakul S, Chang JJ, Avihingsanon A, Ubolyam S, Buranapraditkun S, Thantiworasit P, Wightman F, Locarnini S, Matthews G, Dore GJ, Ruxrungtham K, Lewin SR
J Virol. 2010 Mar; 84(6):2657-2665
- Differential dynamics of donor DC and non-DC peripheral blood mononuclear cell microchimerism in lung transplantation.
Joel Van der Meulen, Nicole A Mifsud, Diahnn Abud, Eldho Paul, Michael D Varney, Sharon R Lewin, Paul U Cameron, Tom C Kotsimbos
Clin Immunol. 2009 Nov; 133(2):179-183
- Immune restoration diseases reflect diverse immunopathological mechanisms.
Price P, Murdoch DM, Agarwal U, Lewin SR, Elliott JH, French MA
Clin Microbiol Rev. 2009 Oct; 22(4):651-663
- The "work" of women when considering and using interventions to reduce mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) of HIV.
Giles ML, Hellard ME, Lewin SR, O'Brien ML
AIDS Care. 2009 Oct; 21(10):1230-1237
- The novel histone deacetylase inhibitors metacept-1 and metacept-3 potently increase HIV-1 transcription in latently infected cells.
Shehu-Xhilaga M, Rhodes D, Wightman F, Liu HB, Solomon A, Saleh S, Dear AE, Cameron PU, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2009 Sep; 23(15):2047-2050
- Combination HBV therapy is linked to greater HBV DNA suppression in a cohort of lamivudine-experienced HIV/HBV coinfected individuals.
Gail V Matthews, Eric Seaberg, Gregory J Dore, Scott Bowden, Sharon R Lewin, Joe Sasadeusz, Pip Marks, Zachary Goodman, Frances H Philp, Yiwei Tang, Stephen Locarnini, Chloe L Thio
AIDS. 2009 Aug; 23(13):1707-1715
- Impaired quality of the hepatitis B virus (HBV)-specific T-cell response in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-HBV coinfection.
J Judy Chang, Sunee Sirivichayakul, Anchalee Avihingsanon, Alex J V Thompson, Peter Revill, David Iser, John Slavin, Supranee Buranapraditkun, Pip Marks, Gail Matthews, David A Cooper, Stephen J Kent, Paul U Cameron, Joe Sasadeusz, Paul Desmond, Stephen Locarnini, Gregory J Dore, Kiat Ruxrungtham, Sharon R Lewin
J Virol. 2009 Aug; 83(15):7649-7658
- Future directions in the treatment of HIV-HBV coinfection.
Iser, D. M., Lewin, S. R.
HIV Ther. 2009 Jul; 3(4):405-415
- Variable uptake of recommended interventions to reduce mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Australia, 1982-2005 (REPLY)
Giles ML, McDonald AM, Elliott EJ, Ziegler JB, Hellard ME, Lewin SR, Kaldor JM
Med J Aust. 2009 Jun; 190:220-221
- Effects of HIV-1 infection in vitro on transendothelial migration by monocytes and monocyte-derived macrophages.
Westhorpe CL, Zhou J, Webster NL, Kalionis B, Lewin SR, Jaworowski A, Muller WA, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 2009 Jun; 85(6):1027-1035
- Viral dynamics of hepatitis B virus DNA in human immunodeficiency virus-1-hepatitis B virus coinfected individuals: similar effectiveness of lamivudine, tenofovir, or combination therapy.
Sharon R Lewin, Ruy M Ribeiro, Anchalee Avihingsanon, Scott Bowden, Gail Matthews, Pip Marks, Stephen A Locarnini, Kiat Ruxrungtham, Alan S Perelson, Gregory J Dore
Hepatology. 2009 Apr; 49(4):1113-1121
- Immunopathogenesis of hepatic flare in HIV/hepatitis B virus (HBV)-coinfected individuals after the initiation of HBV-active antiretroviral therapy.
Crane M, Oliver B, Matthews G, Avihingsanon A, Ubolyam S, Markovska V, Chang JJ, Dore GJ, Price P, Visvanathan K, French M, Ruxrungtham K, Lewin SR
J Infect Dis. 2009 Apr; 199(7):974-981
- Prolonged use of tenofovir in HIV/hepatitis B virus (HBV)-coinfected individuals does not lead to HBV polymerase mutations and is associated with persistence of lamivudine HBV polymerase mutations.
Audsley J, Arrifin N, Yuen LK, Ayres A, Crowe SM, Bartholomeusz A, Locarnini SA, Mijch A, Lewin SR, Sasadeusz J
HIV Med. 2009 Apr; 10(4):229-235
- Fatal acute varicella-zoster virus hemorrhagic meningomyelitis with necrotizing vasculitis in an HIV-infected patient.
Christina C Chang, Catriona McLean, Olga Vujovic, Adam J Jenney, Martin Short, Stuart Lyon, Elsdon Storey, Sharon R Lewin
Clin Infect Dis. 2009 Feb; 48(3):372-373
- Antenatal screening practice for infectious diseases by general practitioners in Australia.
Giles ML, Pedrana A, Jones C, Garland S, Hellard M, Lewin SR
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009 Feb; 49(1):39-44
- The pathogenesis of liver disease in the setting of HIV-hepatitis B virus coinfection.
David M Iser, Sharon R Lewin
Antivir Ther. 2009 Jan; 14(2):155-164
- A randomized trial of combination hepatitis B therapy in HIV/HBV coinfected antiretroviral naive individuals in Thailand.
Gail V Matthews, Anchalee Avihingsanon, Sharon R Lewin, Janaki Amin, Rungsun Rerknimitr, Panusit Petcharapirat, Pip Marks, Joe Sasadeusz, David A Cooper, Scott Bowden, Stephen Locarnini, Kiat Ruxrungtham, Gregory J Dore
Hepatology. 2008 Oct; 48(4):1062-1069
- Defective hepatitis B virus DNA is not associated with disease status but is reduced by polymerase mutations associated with drug resistance.
Scott Preiss, Margaret Littlejohn, Peter Angus, Alex Thompson, Paul Desmond, Sharon R Lewin, Joe Sasadeusz, Gail Matthews, Gregory J Dore, Tim Shaw, Vitini Sozzi, Lilly Yuen, George Lau, Anna Ayres, Chloe Thio, Anchalee Avihingsanon, Kiat Ruxrungtham, Stephen Locarnini, Peter A Revill
Hepatology. 2008 Sep; 48(3):741-749
- Variable uptake of recommended interventions to reduce mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Australia, 1982-2005.
Giles ML, McDonald AM, Elliott EJ, Ziegler JB, Hellard ME, Lewin SR, Kaldor JM
Med J Aust. 2008 Aug; 189(3):151-154
- Hepatitis virus immune restoration disease of the liver.
Crane M, Matthews G, Lewin SR
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2008 Jul; 3(4):446-452
- Sexually transmissible infection and HIV management among men who have sex with men with and without HIV: survey of medical practitioners who are members of the Australasian Society for HIV Medicine.
Christopher K Fairley, Glenda Fehler, Sharon R Lewin, Marian Pitts, Marcus Y Chen, Catriona S Bradshaw, Jane S Hocking
Sex Health. 2008 Jun; 5(2):155-159
- The anti-HIV activity of entecavir: a multicentre evaluation of lamivudine-experienced and lamivudine-naive patients.
Joe Sasadeusz, Jennifer Audsley, Anne Mijch, Rachel Baden, Jose Caro, Hermeyone Hunter, Gail Matthews, Moira A McMahon, Susan A Olender, Robert F Siliciano, Sharon R Lewin, Chloe L Thio
AIDS. 2008 May; 22(8):947-955
- Phase 1 single dose studies to optimize the pharmacokinetics of DG17, a novel HIV-protease inhibitor pro-drug, using sodium bicarbonate and ritonavir.
Cherry CL, Hoy JF, Rowe JS, Krum H, Mills J, Lewin SR
Curr HIV Res. 2008 May; 6(3):272-275
- Incidence of putative HIV superinfection and sexual practices among HIV-infected men who have sex with men.
Mohsin M Sidat, Anne M Mijch, Sharon R Lewin, Jennifer F Hoy, Jane Hocking, Christopher K Fairley
Sex Health. 2008 Mar; 5(1):61-67
- Virologic determinants of success after structured treatment interruptions of antiretrovirals in acute HIV-1 infection.
Sharon R Lewin, John M Murray, Ajantha Solomon, Fiona Wightman, Paul U Cameron, Damian J Purcell, John J Zaunders, Pat Grey, Mark Bloch, Don Smith, David A Cooper, Anthony D Kelleher
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Feb; 47(2):140-147
- Human thymic dendritic cells: regulators of T cell development in health and HIV-1 infection.
Vanessa A Evans, Paul U Cameron, Sharon R Lewin
Clin Immunol. 2008 Jan; 126(1):1-12
- A systematic review of T-cell epitopes in hepatitis B virus: identification, genotypic variation and relevance to antiviral therapeutics.
Christopher P Desmond, Angeline Bartholomeusz, Silvana Gaudieri, Peter A Revill, Sharon R Lewin
Antivir Ther. 2008 Jan; 13(2):161-175
- CCR7 ligands CCL19 and CCL21 increase permissiveness of resting memory CD4+ T cells to HIV-1 infection: a novel model of HIV-1 latency.
Suha Saleh, Ajantha Solomon, Fiona Wightman, Miranda Xhilaga, Paul U Cameron, Sharon R Lewin
Blood. 2007 Dec; 110(13):4161-4164
- The phenotype of hepatitis B virus-specific T cells differ in the liver and blood in chronic hepatitis B virus infection.
J Judy Chang, Alexander J V Thompson, Kumar Visvanathan, Stephen J Kent, Paul U Cameron, Fiona Wightman, Paul Desmond, Stephen A Locarnini, Sharon R Lewin
Hepatology. 2007 Nov; 46(5):1332-1340
- Pathogenicity and immunogenicity of attenuated, nef-deleted HIV-1 strains in vivo.
Gorry PR, McPhee DA, Verity E, Dyer WB, Wesselingh SL, Learmont J, Sullivan JS, Roche M, Zaunders JJ, Gabuzda D, Crowe SM, Mills J, Lewin SR, Brew BJ, Cunningham AL, Churchill MJ
Retrovirology. 2007 Sep; 4:66
- Identification of a novel hepatitis B virus precore/core deletion mutant in HIV/hepatitis B virus co-infected individuals.
Peter A Revill, Margaret Littlejohn, Anna Ayres, Lilly Yuen, Danni Colledge, Angeline Bartholomeusz, Joe Sasaduesz, Sharon R Lewin, Gregory J Dore, Gail V Matthews, Chloe L Thio, Stephen A Locarnini
AIDS. 2007 Aug; 21(13):1701-1710
- Human cytomegalovirus (CMV)-specific CD8+ T cell responses are reduced in HIV-infected individuals with a history of CMV disease despite CD4+ T cell recovery.
K P Singh, J L Howard, S P Wild, S L Jones, J Hoy, S R Lewin
Clin Immunol. 2007 Aug; 124(2):200-206
- What are the barriers to offering HIV testing in an antenatal setting? A national study of obstetricians.
Giles ML, Garland SM, Lewin SR, Hellard ME
AIDS. 2007 Jul; 21(12):1601-1606
- The Sydney Declaration: a call to scale up research.
David Cooper, Pedro Cahn, Sharon Lewin, John Kaldor, Craig McClure, Rodney Kort, Mark Boyd
Lancet. 2007 Jul; 370(9581):7-8
- The CD16+ monocyte subset is more permissive to infection and preferentially harbors HIV-1 in vivo.
Ellery PJ, Tippett E, Chiu YL, Paukovics G, Cameron PU, Solomon A, Lewin SR, Gorry PR, Jaworowski A, Greene WC, Sonza S, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2007 May; 178(10):6581-6589
- Immune recovery uveitis in an HIV-negative individual.
Michelle L Baker, Penelope Allen, Jake Shortt, Sharon R Lewin, Andrew Spencer
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2007 Mar; 35(2):189-190
- Preferential infection of dendritic cells during human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection of blood leukocytes.
Paul U Cameron, Amanda J Handley, Dean C Baylis, Ajantha E Solomon, Nicholas Bernard, Damian F J Purcell, Sharon R Lewin
J Virol. 2007 Mar; 81(5):2297-2306
- Ten years of highly active antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection.
Luke F Chen, Jennifer Hoy, Sharon R Lewin
Med J Aust. 2007 Feb; 186(3):146-151
- The testis and epididymis are productively infected by SIV and SHIV in juvenile macaques during the post-acute stage of infection.
Miranda Shehu-Xhilaga, Stephen Kent, Jane Batten, Sarah Ellis, Joel Van der Meulen, Moira O'Bryan, Paul U Cameron, Sharon R Lewin, Mark P Hedger
Retrovirology. 2007 Jan; 4:7
- Regulation of Toll-like receptor-2 expression in chronic hepatitis B by the precore protein.
Kumar Visvanathan, Narelle A Skinner, Alex J V Thompson, Stephen M Riordan, Vitini Sozzi, Roslyn Edwards, Sally Rodgers, Jelica Kurtovic, Judy Chang, Sharon Lewin, Paul Desmond, Stephen Locarnini
Hepatology. 2007 Jan; 45(1):102-110
- Impact of early viral kinetics on T-cell reactivity during antiviral therapy in chronic hepatitis B.
George K K Lau, Helen Cooksley, Ruy M Ribeiro, Kimberly A Powers, Emi Shudo, Scott Bowden, Chee-Kin Hui, Jane Anderson, Jeff Sorbel, Elsa Mondou, Franck Rousseau, Sharon Lewin, Alan S Perelson, Stephen Locornini, Nikolai V Naoumov
Antivir Ther. 2007 Jan; 12(5):705-718
- Substantial improvements in performance indicators achieved in a peripheral blood mononuclear cell cryopreservation quality assurance program using single donor samples.
Wayne B Dyer, Sarah L Pett, John S Sullivan, Sean Emery, David A Cooper, Anthony D Kelleher, Andrew Lloyd, Sharon R Lewin
Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007 Jan; 14(1):52-59
- HIV research in Australia: linking basic research findings with clinical and public health outcomes.
Sharon R Lewin, John M Kaldor, David A Cooper
Retrovirology. 2006 Dec; 3:86
- The evidence for a change in antenatal HIV screening policy in Australia.
Giles ML, Hellard ME, Lewin SR, Mijch AM
Med J Aust. 2006 Aug; 185(4):217-220
- Comparison of real-time PCR assays for monitoring serum hepatitis B virus DNA levels during antiviral therapy.
Chee-Kin Hui, Scott Bowden, Hai-Ying Zhang, Anita Wong, Sharon Lewin, Frank Rousseau, Herve Mommeja-Marin, Nikki P Lee, John M Luk, Stephen Locarnini, Nancy Leung, Nikolai V Naoumov, George K K Lau
J Clin Microbiol. 2006 Aug; 44(8):2983-2987
- Immunopathogenesis: role of innate and adaptive immune responses.
Kumar Visvanathan, Sharon R Lewin
Semin Liver Dis. 2006 May; 26(2):104-115
- Impact of an education campaign on management in pregnancy of women infected with a blood-borne virus.
Giles ML, Garland SM, Grover SR, Lewin SR, Hellard ME
Med J Aust. 2006 Apr; 184(8):389-392
- Characteristics of drug resistant HBV in an international collaborative study of HIV-HBV-infected individuals on extended lamivudine therapy.
Gail V Matthews, Angeline Bartholomeusz, Stephen Locarnini, Anna Ayres, Joe Sasaduesz, Eric Seaberg, David A Cooper, Sharon Lewin, Gregory J Dore, Chloe L Thio
AIDS. 2006 Apr; 20(6):863-870
- Thymic function in severely immunodeficient HIV type 1-infected patients receiving stable and effective antiretroviral therapy.
Sonia Fernandez, Richard C Nolan, Patricia Price, Romano Krueger, Christopher Wood, David Cameron, Ajantha Solomon, Sharon R Lewin, Martyn A French
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2006 Feb; 22(2):163-170
- A randomised controlled trial of oral zinc on the immune response to tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients.
J A Green, S R Lewin, F Wightman, M Lee, T S Ravindran, N I Paton
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2005 Dec; 9(12):1378-1384
- Enhanced replicative capacity and pathogenicity of HIV-1 isolated from individuals infected with drug-resistant virus and declining CD4+ T-cell counts.
Solomon A, Lane N, Wightman F, Gorry PR, Lewin SR
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005 Oct; 40(2):140-148
- Uncoupling coreceptor usage of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) from macrophage tropism reveals biological properties of CCR5-restricted HIV-1 isolates from patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
Gray L, Sterjovski J, Churchill M, Ellery P, Nasr N, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Wesselingh SL, Cunningham AL, Gorry PR
Virology. 2005 Jul; 337(2):384-398
- Reduced hepatitis B virus (HBV)-specific CD4+ T-cell responses in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-HBV-coinfected individuals receiving HBV-active antiretroviral therapy.
J Judy Chang, Fiona Wightman, Angeline Bartholomeusz, Anna Ayres, Stephen J Kent, Joseph Sasadeusz, Sharon R Lewin
J Virol. 2005 Mar; 79(5):3038-3051
- Highly reproducible transient transfections for the study of hepatitis B virus replication based on an internal GFP reporter system.
Theo Gouskos, Fiona Wightman, Sharon R Lewin, Joseph Torresi
J Virol Methods. 2004 Oct; 121(1):65-72
- Severe hepatitis and prolonged hepatitis B virus-specific CD8 T-cell response after selection of hepatitis B virus YMDD variant in an HIV/hepatitis B virus-co-infected patient.
Theo Gouskos, Fiona Wightman, Judy Chang, Linda Earnest-Silveira, Joseph Sasadeusz, Sharon R Lewin, Joseph Torresi
AIDS. 2004 Aug; 18(12):1734-1737
- Changes in mitochondrial DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from HIV-infected patients with lipoatrophy randomized to receive abacavir.
Hoy JF, Gahan ME, Carr A, Smith D, Lewin SR, Wesselingh S, Cooper DA
J Infect Dis. 2004 Aug; 190(4):688-692
- Comparison of sequence analysis and a novel discriminatory real-time PCR assay for detection and quantification of Lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus strains.
Fiona Wightman, Tomos Walters, Anna Ayres, Scott Bowden, Angeline Bartholomeusz, Daryl Lau, Stephen Locarnini, Sharon R Lewin
J Clin Microbiol. 2004 Aug; 42(8):3809-3812
- A phase I study of the pharmacokinetics and safety of passive immunotherapy with caprine anti-HIV antibodies, (PE)HRG214, in HIV-1-infected individuals.
Pett SL, Williams LA, Day RO, Lloyd AR, Carr AD, Clezy KR, Emery S, Kaplan E, McPhee DA, McLachlan AJ, Gelder FB, Lewin SR, Liauw W, Williams KM
HIV Clin Trials. 2004 Mar; 5(2):91-98
- Graves' disease during immune reconstitution after highly active antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection: evidence of thymic dysfunction.
M A French, S R Lewin, C Dykstra, R Krueger, P Price, P J Leedman
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2004 Feb; 20(2):157-162
- Naive T cells are maintained by thymic output in early ages but by proliferation without phenotypic change after age twenty.
John M Murray, Gilbert R Kaufmann, Philip D Hodgkin, Sharon R Lewin, Anthony D Kelleher, Miles P Davenport, John J Zaunders
Immunol Cell Biol. 2003 Dec; 81(6):487-495
- Prevalence and characterization of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus mutations in HIV-HBV co-infected individuals.
Cooley L, Ayres A, Bartholomeusz A, Lewin S, Crowe S, Mijch A, Locarnini S, Sasadeusz J
AIDS. 2003 Jul; 17(11):1649-1657
- Immunological and virological failure after antiretroviral therapy is associated with enhanced peripheral and thymic pathogenicity.
Ajantha Solomon, Paul U Cameron, Michael Bailey, Amanda L Dunne, Suzanne M Crowe, Jenny F Hoy, Sharon R Lewin
J Infect Dis. 2003 Jun; 187(12):1915-1923
- HIV-1 cell entry and advances in viral entry inhibitor therapy.
Louise A Cooley, Sharon R Lewin
J Clin Virol. 2003 Feb; 26(2):121-132
- Dynamics of T cells and TCR excision circles differ after treatment of acute and chronic HIV infection.
Sharon R Lewin, Ruy M Ribeiro, Gilbert R Kaufmann, Don Smith, John Zaunders, Matthew Law, Ajantha Solomon, Paul U Cameron, David Cooper, Alan S Perelson
J Immunol. 2002 Oct; 169(8):4657-4666
- Direct evidence for new T-cell generation by patients after either T-cell-depleted or unmodified allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantations.
Sharon R Lewin, Glenn Heller, Linqi Zhang, Elaine Rodrigues, Eva Skulsky, Marcel R M van den Brink, Trudy N Small, Nancy A Kernan, Richard J O'Reilly, David D Ho, James W Young
Blood. 2002 Sep; 100(6):2235-2242
- Restoration of replication phenotype of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus mutants by compensatory changes in the "fingers" subdomain of the viral polymerase selected as a consequence of mutations in the overlapping S gene.
Joseph Torresi, Linda Earnest-Silveira, Gilda Civitico, Tomos E Walters, Sharon R Lewin, Janet Fyfe, Stephen A Locarnini, Michael Manns, Christian Trautwein, Thomas C Bock
Virology. 2002 Jul; 299(1):88-99
- Exposure to dideoxynucleosides is reflected in lowered mitochondrial DNA in subcutaneous fat.
Catherine L Cherry, Michelle E Gahan, Justin C McArthur, Sharon R Lewin, Jennifer F Hoy, Steven L Wesselingh
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2002 Jul; 30(3):271-277
- Paraneoplastic myasthenia gravis correlates with generation of mature naive CD4(+) T cells in thymomas.
Philipp Strobel, Markus Helmreich, Georgios Menioudakis, Sharon R Lewin, Thomas Rudiger, Andrea Bauer, Viola Hoffacker, Ralf Gold, Wilfred Nix, Berthold Schalke, Olaf Elert, Michael Semik, Hans Konrad Muller-Hermelink, Alexander Marx
Blood. 2002 Jul; 100(1):159-166
- HIV-1 down-modulates gamma signaling chain of Fc gamma R in human macrophages: a possible mechanism for inhibition of phagocytosis.
Kedzierska K, Ellery P, Mak J, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Immunol. 2002 Mar; 168(6):2895-2903
- Analysis of hepatitis B viral load decline under potent therapy: complex decay profiles observed.
S R Lewin, R M Ribeiro, T Walters, G K Lau, S Bowden, S Locarnini, A S Perelson
Hepatology. 2001 Nov; 34(5):1012-1020
- Quantification of mitochondrial DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and subcutaneous fat using real-time polymerase chain reaction.
M E Gahan, F Miller, S R Lewin, C L Cherry, J F Hoy, A Mijch, F Rosenfeldt, S L Wesselingh
J Clin Virol. 2001 Oct; 22(3):241-247
- Relative significance of different pathways of immune reconstitution in HIV type 1 infection as estimated by mathematical modeling.
G R Kaufmann, J Zaunders, J Murray, A D Kelleher, S R Lewin, A Solomon, D Smith, D A Cooper
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2001 Jan; 17(2):147-159
- Age-dependent changes in T cell homeostasis and SIV load in sooty mangabeys.
L A Chakrabarti, S R Lewin, L Zhang, A Gettie, A Luckay, L N Martin, E Skulsky, D D Ho, C Cheng-Mayer, P A Marx
J Med Primatol. 2000 Aug; 29(3-4):158-165
- Normal T-cell turnover in sooty mangabeys harboring active simian immunodeficiency virus infection.
L A Chakrabarti, S R Lewin, L Zhang, A Gettie, A Luckay, L N Martin, E Skulsky, D D Ho, C Cheng-Mayer, P A Marx
J Virol. 2000 Feb; 74(3):1209-1223
- Measuring recent thymic emigrants in blood of normal and HIV-1-infected individuals before and after effective therapy.
L Zhang, S R Lewin, M Markowitz, H H Lin, E Skulsky, R Karanicolas, Y He, X Jin, S Tuttleton, M Vesanen, H Spiegel, R Kost, J van Lunzen, H J Stellbrink, S Wolinsky, W Borkowsky, P Palumbo, L G Kostrikis, D D Ho
J Exp Med. 1999 Sep; 190(5):725-732
- Use of real-time PCR and molecular beacons to detect virus replication in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected individuals on prolonged effective antiretroviral therapy.
S R Lewin, M Vesanen, L Kostrikis, A Hurley, M Duran, L Zhang, D D Ho, M Markowitz
J Virol. 1999 Jul; 73(7):6099-6103
- Quantifying residual HIV-1 replication in patients receiving combination antiretroviral therapy.
L Zhang, B Ramratnam, K Tenner-Racz, Y He, M Vesanen, S Lewin, A Talal, P Racz, A S Perelson, B T Korber, M Markowitz, D D Ho
N Engl J Med. 1999 May; 340(21):1605-1613
- Dramatic rise in plasma viremia after CD8(+) T cell depletion in simian immunodeficiency virus-infected macaques.
X Jin, D E Bauer, S E Tuttleton, S Lewin, A Gettie, J Blanchard, C E Irwin, J T Safrit, J Mittler, L Weinberger, L G Kostrikis, L Zhang, A S Perelson, D D Ho
J Exp Med. 1999 Mar; 189(6):991-998
No Publication Date (2)
- Decline in serum 25-OH vitamin D levels in HIV/hepatitis B virus (HBV) co-infected patients after long term antiretroviral therapy.
Avihingsanon A, Apornpong T, Ramautarsing RA, Ubolyam S, Tangkijvanich P, Ananworanich J, Lange JM, Matthews G, Lewin SR, Ruxrungtham K; HIV-NAT; study team
Antivir Ther.; Epub ahead of print
- HIV-1 envelope-receptor interactions required for macrophage infection and implications for current HIV-1 cure strategies.
Gorry PR, Francella N, Lewin SR, Collman RG
J Leukoc Biol.; Epub ahead of print